This ain't right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This ain't right

Went to a call today, lady complained of low water pressure in the house, but bury hydrant was fine. Also next door her moms house has a well, and for them to get water, they just tied into her moms line and runa service over to her trailer house.

Get there search for a PRV, nothing under house.
    Go inside. Kitchen sink just peeing water out barely hot and cold so it threw me off for a minute. Go to a bathroom, then she tells me what I found out. Hot side had pressure. Cold side was limp.

Pulled the fluidmaster off it's stub, BIG chunks of calcium kinda belched out a little. And by big, I mean like half the size of my pinky nail. So I ran a coat hanger down it, after about 5 minutes I got it all out, and toilet filled 100000% better, but still not perfect. Probably some junk in the fill valve, no biggie.

Pulled the lav cold side line off, and got a handful of calcium chunks out of the line, it was 1/2 poly bute all the way up to the faucet. I am serious, it was not like a small build-up, it was like gravel. But only on the cold side. And of course all the faucets had horrid calcium buildup all over the aereators.

Here is where it gets a little odd. Her moms house, does not even get calcium buildups on the faucets. They have lived in the house for something like 20 years, and have NEVER had a problem. Now, splice in the trailer a few years ago, and about once a year they have to get this done. But only at the trailer house, same well, and only the trailer is having hard water problems.

She told me that there is something to do with sulphur in the wells or some crap, I didn't really understand cause I'm a douche.

So we decided to put a water softner on the trailer, and a whole house filter before it. Theory being the filter will catch the chunks, and the softner will knock out the buildups.

What do you guys think?
    My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Re: This ain't right

It involves imitation crack. Let me find my thread.....

J.C.

Comment

I can't find it. I had a similar problem and one of the members from AZ (I think) posted what I think to be the problem.

The water heater in the mobile home is bottom fed. Then there is probably a Tee right after it goes through the floor going both ways. Middle feeds the water heater.

The calcium or whatever kind of deposits build in the water heater. Then thermal expansion builds and pushes them into this Tee line and the deposits are carried throughout the cold side.

Toilet valves, sink aerators, etc.

Might be able to stop it by putting a high loop/heat trap to the bottom fed water heater.

And I could be wrong.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I can't find it. I had a similar problem and one of the members from AZ (I think) posted what I think to be the problem.

The water heater in the mobile home is bottom fed. Then there is probably a Tee right after it goes through the floor going both ways. Middle feeds the water heater.

The calcium or whatever kind of deposits build in the water heater. Then thermal expansion builds and pushes them into this Tee line and the deposits are carried throughout the cold side.

Toilet valves, sink aerators, etc.

Might be able to stop it by putting a high loop/heat trap to the bottom fed water heater.

And I could be wrong.

J.C.
        I had a similar problem at a house a few years back. It appeared that sand was infiltrating the cold water. Not the hot water, the cold water. We even had the city water department out and they couldn't figure out the source. The neighbors on either side had no sand in their water. But, open any cold water faucet and bingo! Out came the sand.

The customer was able, (amazingly) to get his insurance company to pay for the repiping of his house since the presumption was that the sand was external to the house. All the cold water lines were caked and largely useless. The hot lines were pretty much clear.

Anyway, when I went to move the water heater it weighed about five hundred pounds! It was loaded to the point where "sand" was getting pushed back out the dip tube. The sand must have been lime. (Prevalent around here). It couldn't get out the discharge in the hot line, so it somehow managed to get pushed out the supply line. (I presumed thermal expansion of the water pushed it back out.)
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Very interesting JC, but any explanation as to why the trailer has hard water and the house does not?
          My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

Originally posted by Rohten View Post
            Very interesting JC, but any explanation as to why the trailer has hard water and the house does not?
            I bet if you had the water tested from both taps you would get the same results.

The heater is the collector and maybe helps generate the buildup when heated.

Check the heater. Please post if you find anything.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Will do, will be a few days though, friday.

Comment

if no water softener in house, then they both have hard water. except mob is now softened. house has a wh with top piping not top and bottom. my guess is a loop on cold would stop process, but the cold side has chunks distributed through out system. i have used ""stay"(14% phosphoric acid) or vinegar before. let it soak overnight. mob has poly lines, they should be good. or you might get away with cutting poly at wh and blowing back through from spigots. have fun. breid...................

Comment

rohten

looking at your avatar and reading at one time is really a good eye exercise. try it. when i was a kid i trainer my eyes to move independently of each other. was a hoot when you were bored and had to listen to somebody speak. i could make people stop talking. lots of fun. breid..................

Comment

Here is the link to the previous thread about this. It is a very common issue in my town.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...837#post247837

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                      Here is the link to the previous thread about this. It is a very common issue in my town.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...837#post247837
                      Read the post, and wow, exactly what is happening. Now I say that, but the water heater is in back corner of house and right over incoming, so I am going to take your advice.

Thank you for this GREAT post, weirdest thing I have seen yet.

Comment

I can't tell you the best way to quickly fix a leaking six inch water line in a skyscraper, but if you ever need advice about working on run down manufactured homes, I'm the man to talk to.

Comment

Ugh, just installed a kenmore water softner in the well house, a whole house filter in the closet with the water heater, and purged all teh lines.
                          SERIOUSLY. Not to mention they live 45 minutes away from anything that resembles a parts house (locke).

STILL crap in the lines after 3 solid hours of purging. Screw that place, seriously.

Comment

Working...
                          X