Nightmare Foreclosure Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare Foreclosure Jobs

Had one last week that gave me the heeby jeebies!

Got hired in by a bank that forclosed on a property. There was water flooding in the unit and they needed me to handle it.

Turns out the upstairs faucet was leaking out of the handles and slowly but surely flooding the entire bathroom area and down through the ceiling into the kitchen below.

The former owner had set up a water heater pan under the vanity sink area in an attempt to collect the flooding water. He ran a hose from the water heater pan in the upstairs bathroom down to the downstairs bathroom sink.
    This set up had been in place for months, but wasn't really working.

The angle stops under the sink did not work and the bank wanted me to replace them so the water could be shut off to the faucet. I did so at a very high price. The place was worse that putrid. Trash was strewn everywhere. You couldn't even see the floor.

It appeared that the former owner had up and left taking only some items but leaving most everything else. There still was a computer up and running and other things that made it look like perhaps someone may still be living there.

At this point I was alone and was really hoping that a disgruntled former owner wouldn't return to surprise me. It really was the setting for some kind of horror movie and I actually checked the closets before starting to make sure there really wasn't anyone home.

I put down trash bags to lay on - didn't want to contaminate my tarps. In the process of changing out the angle stops I had to work in an area I could best describe as "melting". Everything was decomposing in the cabinet and was just ooze. Naturally, the angle stops were hard to get to loosen up so in the struggle I was just getting covered in mold and slime. I was cool just so long as I wasn't getting it in my mouth or eyes.

Then it happened. With my head cocked sideways, a drop of primordial ooze dripped from above and went right down my ear canal into my head. It was an experience of violation and utter disgust. That feeling of slime running down my ear canal into my head was about all I could bare. The sensation wouldn't go away. Heeby jeeby city folks.

I finished the job and got out of there. Still wonder if I charged enough.

Given our profession you would think that nothing could phase us, but I have actually refused jobs for people whose homes were wretched and vile.

Re: Nightmare Foreclosure Jobs

Man, that sounds bad.

Forclosure/money desperation brings out some odd things.

Bought a dryer a guy was selling. We got to talking. He was losing the house.

During the conversation he

- tried to sell me other appliances, and the countertops, cabinets, doors, etc.

- hit me up for a loan promising extravagant returns as he just needed a couple months to get it sold

- asked me about renting one of my places from me

and throughout was clearly unaware of the rediculousness of anybody going into any business dealings with anyone who was selling off bits of the house they were losing to the bank.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I've worked on several foreclosures in the last few years.

They're never much fun, but yours wins the nasty award

I had a guy who wasn't supposed to still be there try to send his very large, angry dog after me once. I just explained to him that there must have been some mistake, and I would talk to the people that sent me, as they told me nobody was living there.

ALWAYS knock and/or ring the bell... this has likely helped keep me alive.

Of course it helps to be armed and educated... If you're in a place where guns aren't socially acceptable, maybe your favorite pipe wrench should go in the door with you

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
        ... If you're in a place where guns aren't socially acceptable, maybe your favorite pipe wrench should go in the door with you
        that is funny, my favorite pipe wrench just happens to shoot .45 shells

Comment

I've told the contact person on projects like that, "I'll need you to be there while I do the work." That sometimes makes the job disappear, because they refuse to go into the home, or apartment, or business. Other times, they'll send some poor, unsuspecting office flunky out with me. There is strength (and courage!) in numbers. Think about your own safety first. Would you send your son or daughter, or father or mother, or anyone you care for into that situation?

(In the original posting, where the place was unfit for human habitation, I would have told them I can turn off the water to the entire property. When they cleaned the place up, which I assume had to happen eventually, I would return to do the repairs.)

Comment

Welding overhead on a Hi Rise I got Hot slag In My ear ! Another welder said "Kevin,I didn't
            Know You were such a good dancer "
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Welding overhead on a Hi Rise I got Hot slag In My ear ! Another welder said "Kevin,I didn't
              Know You were such a good dancer "
              I looked more like a head banger.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                that is funny, my favorite pipe wrench just happens to shoot .45 shells
                How is it for removing/replacing plumbing parts though?
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I may have mentioned this before in another post but I helped a guy and his wife clean up their home and do repairs. They had a ton of animals and from my estimates it was at least a month or two since they where last let outside to go..... There was not a clean dish in the house and an old engine in the sink that was there my for guess for ten years. Neither of them could get into their bedroom and the guys wife had sores all over here from God knows what. It smelled like ammonia so bad I could hardly breathe. The house next store was the couples elderly uncle who was a serious hoarder There where just a few paths one to his bed and one to the bathroom but the tub was full of stuff and garbage. He probably had two full trucks disassembled in his house. I don't think I will ever forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                    I may have mentioned this before in another post but I helped a guy and his wife clean up their home and do repairs. They had a ton of animals and from my estimates it was at least a month or two since they where last let outside to go..... There was not a clean dish in the house and an old engine in the sink that was there my for guess for ten years. Neither of them could get into their bedroom and the guys wife had sores all over here from God knows what. It smelled like ammonia so bad I could hardly breathe. The house next store was the couples elderly uncle who was a serious hoarder There where just a few paths one to his bed and one to the bathroom but the tub was full of stuff and garbage. He probably had two full trucks disassembled in his house. I don't think I will ever forget that.
                    Dan ,That is real religion! Love is doing,not saying. You are an Awesome friend. Bless You and Yours.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i had one that i went on to replace the

toilet seat one were you had to get down

close to hacksaw the bolts off,

there was bits of paper and brown still

sticking to the top of the bowl !

My dad had snaked the main sewer line

the week before and sold them on the seat

i got so disgusted i pulled off and called

the office let them clean the toilet up

first,

but in the mid 80's we kept our

construction service co, alive in the

recession by doing foreclosures work

only the homes were in the million

dollar ranges

JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

i'm packing. always. if it looks ugly i'm your boy. pistoly in my right pocket, nice blade in my left. if i have any qualms at all, 24" ridgid just for shits and grins. if i feel threatened at all, we're dancing. this is indiana. i'm a progressive here. lol. all the liberals moved somewhere else, good. breid..................

Comment

I live in MA, utopia for all with universal health care and hippies on every corner. I still carry my little friend when I go to the shady areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                            How is it for removing/replacing plumbing parts though?
                            Works good for removal but the install is a little rough

Comment

The trouble we run into here is the way the law is written.

not an exact quote, but it says something to the effect of: you can't take a weapon into anyone's residence without their expressed permission

So, you're covered if nobody is supposed to be living there, or at commercial jobs, but you can't be armed and go to a residential service call.

Kinda sucks in a way, but I understand why they do it that way.... I don't think i'd be real thrilled to find out someone brought a loaded weapon into my house without my permission.

Comment

Working...
                              X