X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Years No solder, no Leak !!!!

Probably 14 Years ago My Son in law told Me this story from Seattle area. On a golf course
    renovation this is what the plumbers found. One Joint fluxed and never soldered!
    Made around 50 Years without a leak!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 50 Years No solder, no Leak !!!!

Landscape irrigation?
    Other side of valve on the lower pressure side to heads?

Comment

depending on the length the joint was fluxed prior to water going on. the longer the delay, the better chance it will hold. of course a tight joint with no way to pull out and no vibration will hold better than a joint subject to movement.

with todays, water soluble flux, good luck making a soldered joint with flux that's been sitting in the joint for the day.

how about a finish nail for over 10 years in a copper line without leaking

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Re: 50 Years No solder, no Leak !!!! update

Just talked to Son In Law. Was the Inglewood golf course in Kenmore Wash. Built 1919.
        The piping was around 70 years old, 1st copper install in area!
        He said they found a Homemade cap off ,in a copper pipe ,Maybe 50 Yrs. old. Someone had
        whittled a cedar wood plug and hammered it into a copper pipe.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

think of a hot tub or a wood ship. wooden water mains were common at turn of the century.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

This thread got me to thinking again. What is some of the oldest copper piping you've seen in residential and when was it accepted as the norm? Around here plumbers were still using galvanized through the 60's. So when did they start using copper for homes?

Comment

I remodeled a large estate on San Vicente Blvd. which was built in 1933. We re-chromed or re-porcelain everything to it's original condition. With the exception of minor remodeling to modernize the kitchen and master bath we left all of the original copper tube in. It was a heavy wall copper tube with long sweep cast fittings.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I remodeled a large estate on San Vicente Blvd. which was built in 1933. We re-chromed or re-porcelain everything to it's original condition. With the exception of minor remodeling to modernize the kitchen and master bath we left all of the original copper tube in. It was a heavy wall copper tube with long sweep cast fittings.

Mark
                I've asked for long sweeps here at the supply houses. They give me the look. Then there's always the revolving know everything plumber at the counter informing me they've never been made.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I've asked for long sweeps here at the supply houses. They give me the look. Then there's always the revolving know everything plumber at the counter informing me they've never been made.

J.C.
                  You need to hang with a better crowd. Here is one Elkhart makes in every size from 1/8" through 4".

Mark
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-03-2010, 11:40 PM.
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

They sell copper long turns at Fergy here. None of the other suppliers have them at all.

There never seems to be many on the shelf.... i'm not sure if it's cuz i'm one of the few buying them, or what.

In truth, I use regular 90's alot more frequently. I'm also doing alot more hydronics than potable these days.

Comment

jc, you know that propress is all long sweep

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        This thread got me to thinking again. What is some of the oldest copper piping you've seen in residential and when was it accepted as the norm? Around here plumbers were still using galvanized through the 60's. So when did they start using copper for homes?
                        I think around here in the 50's maybe even the 40's a few people were using soft copper and flare fittings.

Comment

one of the plumbers i used to work with did that once on a school we where plumbing. Held for 2 days before popping apart. He was using LA-CO flux. It was a 1 1\4 x 3\4 tee. I couldn't beleive it didn't blow apart when we turned the water on, but it held. Only for 2 days though, not 70 years! Lucky for us it was new construction and no damage to the building was done due to the pipe popping apart.

Comment

Working...
                          X