Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird Dogg'in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bird Dogg'in

    Seems as if I have had a rash of people with nothing to do while I work on their plumbing. Most are nice and say nothing...another was an engineer and talked a lot.

    9 out of 10 times I screw up something while they are watching.

    Oh well, thought I would vent...

  • #2
    Re: Bird Dogg'in

    i actually enjoy some company. if their paying me, they might as well get an education

    i have a good following with the kids. maybe it's i share my candy

    just don't call me an old man

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bird Dogg'in

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i actually enjoy some company. if their paying me, they might as well get an education

      i have a good following with the kids. maybe it's i share my candy

      just don't call me an old man

      rick.
      Attention is your drug.More is not enough.
      Without that I would not know you

      Adam

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bird Dogg'in

        Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        Seems as if I have had a rash of people with nothing to do while I work on their plumbing. Most are nice and say nothing...another was an engineer and talked a lot.

        9 out of 10 times I screw up something while they are watching.

        Oh well, thought I would vent...
        When They are over my shoulder talking I have to force myself to slow wayyy down as to not mistep.Yet I still do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bird Dogg'in

          I was on my back, under a kitchen sink, when the two-year-old son of the customer walks over, straddles my chest like it's his trike, takes a seat and yells, "NOW what are you doing?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bird Dogg'in

            I enjoy having my clients watch and talk to me. I carry a lounge chair that I bring in for them to sit when I do water heaters in the garage. Most of the time the client wants to be involved and I let them hold the light, flash light and we chat. We have some very interesting clients that have lived full lives and have fantastic stories.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bird Dogg'in

              I normally don't mind if they watch, but when they get in the way and start to tell me how to do it then I get annoyed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bird Dogg'in

                My dad never mind it when they watched. But what annoyed him was when they keep interrupting him to ask questions. He just put down what he is doing, turn around and look at them square on and tell them flat out" I will answer all your questions when I am done doing the job you hired me for."

                I do recall when I was 16 I was on a kitchen sink line with this guy Herman. The lady kept asking him what was causing the blockage and getting right on top of him where he could not move with out knocking her over. After a dozen times of him asking her nicely to sit down and he will let her know what was the blockage once he removes the rod, she stepped on his shin while he was under the sink. He jumped up and said " Lady shut the **** UP and sit the **** down till I am done working!" My jaw dropped along with the ladies. She went in the other room I followed her and apologized to her for how he said what he said. Luckily she took it in stride.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bird Dogg'in

                  Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  My dad never mind it when they watched. But what annoyed him was when they keep interrupting him to ask questions. He just put down what he is doing, turn around and look at them square on and tell them flat out" I will answer all your questions when I am done doing the job you hired me for."

                  I do recall when I was 16 I was on a kitchen sink line with this guy Herman. The lady kept asking him what was causing the blockage and getting right on top of him where he could not move with out knocking her over. After a dozen times of him asking her nicely to sit down and he will let her know what was the blockage once he removes the rod, she stepped on his shin while he was under the sink. He jumped up and said " Lady shut the **** UP and sit the **** down till I am done working!" My jaw dropped along with the ladies. She went in the other room I followed her and apologized to her for how he said what he said. Luckily she took it in stride.
                  Now Herman is the type of plumber I can relate to as I cannot stand the standover merchants when you are trying to repair a plumbing problem like the other day I went to unblock a sewerage pipe after hours that had been blocked for two weeks and she was all over me like a rash so I asked gritting my teeth why you didn`t get it seen to right away and she said I thought it would clear itself with draino and every other concoction she had put down it.

                  Tony

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bird Dogg'in

                    What really drives me nuts is when they watch from afar. Of course all of my work is outside so they'll stand in the house at the window and leer. Bugs the 'ell out of me.
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bird Dogg'in

                      I really don't mind. I too have to be careful though; takes my mind out of what I'm doing to process language. Not difficult just being watched, not difficult being talked to, but have learned the hard way not to speak and work. If they just insist on me answering them, I very deliberately stop everything else before I start to speak.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bird Dogg'in

                        I don't like it. A helper watching is one thing, but the homeowner...

                        I guess with a helper it is more of the helper saying, hey I'm gonna watch him cause he knows what he is doing, and I can learn.

                        And a homeowner we probably feel like he is more like, hey I'm gonna watch this guy cause I am paying him and I don't know if he knows what he is doing.
                        My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bird Dogg'in

                          i love it when they talk. i make as much to talk as i do to work. i was a plumber on a job once and the electrician said to me that the customer go a hell of a deal with me. " your a lot cheaper than a shrink". lol. just stop and listen, they are paying. ya know. i like for the customer to be aware of what and why. breid.................

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Bird Dogg'in

                            I work better when I'm not being watched, but i get it done either way. I just hate making mistakes in front of the homeowner, the few I do make. LOL

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X