X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monel?

Rick and Rookie Plumber have mentioned Monel seats or seals before. Don't know if I'm familiar with them or not. Could be called something different here but I'm pretty sure I just have no experience with them.

Where can you purchase them? Who makes them?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Monel?

Monel is a specific copper nichol alloy. Great stuff if you can find it.

Comment

Monel bibb screws are all I use for faucet repair.
      Ruud used to make a monel steel water heater. I have seen several over 35 years old. I've never seen a burst monel water heater. We always removed them because the gas valves had a troublesome tendency to stick on. And back in the 50's when they were installed, 1/2" relief valves were commonly used (and quite inadequate).
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

tons of it on subs, ww 2, even silver ware. drop on deck,doesn't resonate to enemy sonar
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've removed Monel water heaters from the 40's that were still working, but that was way back when in the 80's when I was working in San Francisco. Also removed a lot of the copper tanks too, wish I still had some of those.
          When they sold them they came with a 20 year leak warranty. Nickel/copper alloy, about 25% copper. Now why don't they make them like that now! I know, cost.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
            Ruud used to make a monel steel water heater. I have seen several over 35 years old. I've never seen a burst monel water heater. We always removed them because the gas valves had a troublesome tendency to stick on. And back in the 50's when they were installed, 1/2" relief valves were commonly used (and quite inadequate).
            Who makes your Monel parts? Where do you get them?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              Where do you get them?
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                tons of it on subs, ww 2, even silver ware. drop on deck,doesn't resonate to enemy sonar
                When I was in sonar I was taught that active sonar reflected off the air space in the submarine. Of course, I know active sonar reflects off of sunken ships so I'm not sure how much the air space actually has to do with it.

I had to use Monel nuts and bolts on a job at a sub base once back in the late 80's. I recall they were VERY costly and I was glad I only needed a dozen or so.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Who makes your Monel parts? Where do you get them?

Thanks.

J.C.
                  I buy them at the counter of one of our local (not a national chain) supplier.

But, Wolverine brass sells the monel bibb screws and seats. Get ready for sticker shock,
                  Stainless steel 3/8" x 10-24 = .23@
                  Monel = 1.84@ (I pay .43@ at my supplier)

stainless steel 1/2" x 10-24 = .27@
                  monel = .68@ (i don't know why the 1/2" are less

an Eljer brass seat is .52
                  an Eljer monel seat is 4.41
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Now why don't they make them like that now! I know, cost.
                    No, profit, you can't make money if you only get to replace every 20 years.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Only a couple of companies I know of make monel seats for their fixtures. They will almost never wear out. Years ago I was able to buy some Price Pfister monel tub/shower valve seats. I would use them only on the hot side of a fixture along with a nylon washer when a tenant or home owner was cranking off the hot side so hard that washers were wearing out in days. I wish I had saved some of them for the house I am living in now.

Comment

Working...
                      X