Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bidding on Plumbing a House Relocation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkdcL1jei0

$750 per fixture opening?

Reconnects for sure, 3 stacks coming from the ceiling.

Full bath going in the basement, along with washer box/stand pipe, laundry tub and floor drain for the water heater/basement.

3-6" PVC sleeves are being installed under the footer for the groundwork, system leads to a 1000 gallon tank where it will be pumped mechanically to a leach field.

Some PVC drains need attention in the underside of this home. Water service will be extended (city water) but all of which will need to be reconnected.

There's a whole lot of work sitting on this one. Don't forget the water heater as well. Hasn't specified what type, I'd assume electric. If gas, PowerVent would have to be installed, and now enter the gas line equation. Propane and the price just shot through the roof.

I have a feeling I might talk myself out of this one before I even start.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Bidding on Plumbing a House Relocation

With all the bargain basement prices out there, on forclosed houses, or houses being sold at 50% to 20% of there value, why the heck would anyone put this kind of money, into moving that house. The only place I would have moved it to, would be a landfill, 1 dumpster at a time.
    I'd be very skeptical about this job. Lots of unforseen expenses there. I estimate the owner will have 2 to 4 times the amount invested, in this property, than it's worth.. TJMHO.

Comment

You may want to check with the building department as many want the complete DWV replaced on a move-on.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Wow , Mark has a good point. I think You should go for it. May be more to come, the
        House mover will give You referrals. And after this one, You'll have a better hand on pricing. Nice head room,You can work like a gentleman! Good Luck
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Could you imagine how easy it COULD be.
          Lay waste fab with sewer stub through their stemwall on the ground now.
          Ladder up inside house run new waste now.
          Drop house,hang fab and connect branches.
          Dang,hang the whole thing now if the stemwalls are high enough.

Comment

now that's what i call a crawl space. even i wouldn't mind crawling that one

since the house is already in position and ready to be lowered, you can't miss.

price the new work/ basement and allow for stub ups at the established locations.

reconnect and combine the drops into sets so that all you have is a 3'' connection at each location when they lower the house.

don't try to nail it right on, allow for 2- 45's to give you some play when they lower it.

of course if you no longer do new construction, then this is not the time to get back into it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've read a lot of your posts Dunbar, and I have to ask myself, why are you even considering doing this?

It's not a hard job, but it is a time consuming job. You say you like people seeing your truck in multiple driveways each day. If you get involved with this, now you are tied up for a few days. It's basically a new construction job, and you don't seem to have the new construction mindset anymore.

Maybe I am wrong, and if so, I apologize.

There are a lot of desperate, hungry people out there. Let one of them underbid this, and you go off and do several profitable jobs in the meantime.

Comment

If this job is a problem,It's time to retire. Hope not.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Better yet ,send Adam a ticket!

Comment

I wouldn't want to work under that house, before it is set in place, on permanent foundation, it don't look safe to me.
                    Speaking of prep work, on underground, how the heck you gonna install underground plbg, before the footings & walls are poured? All those temp braces are in the way, & I don't think you wanna be digging around or next to those.
                    I did a small house that was moved a few years back, & it was all copper DW&V. 3" copper stubbed down in basement was bent, & it cracked the joints above in wall, where the branch drain tees were, for kitchen sink & lav.
                    Bravo to mark for saying it all may need replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                      I wouldn't want to work under that house, before it is set in place, on permanent foundation, it don't look safe to me.
                      Speaking of prep work, on underground, how the heck you gonna install underground plbg, before the footings & walls are poured? All those temp braces are in the way, & I don't think you wanna be digging around or next to those.
                      I did a small house that was moved a few years back, & it was all copper DW&V. 3" copper stubbed down in basement was bent, & it cracked the joints above in wall, where the branch drain tees were, for kitchen sink & lav.
                      Bravo to mark for saying it all may need replacing.
                      WRONG, Lot of this on Cape Cod years ago. Layed plenty of block under a cribbed home !!

Comment

I'm not worried about the difficulty level....that's a no brainer; I can do it.

I don't want to underbid it. Me and 2 other master plumbers are going there tomorrow to look at the job...and I might have those guys run the plastic, I'll run the waters and collect on the job. Pay out for their side of the equation.

This is a referral that's networked to numerous people.....so as much as I'd like to walk away from it....I'll at least bid to make money. Notice that I didn't say competitively.

By the time I start the job, it will be sitting on a foundation with a basement full of pea gravel, 3 - 6" PVC sleeves coming out that long side of the house in the back.

I thought the image of this job before starting was interesting, seeing what a mess those mechanicals are.

This is farmstead exempt, property owner was told by all parties that no inspections are required since farmstead exempt allows little to no restriction.

No additions to the building; if he added on a room, then they have to get involved.

Comment

Three Master Plumbers seems like a lot of people to look at a job a man and a helper could do in short order.

We use to work for a Developer who would buy small homes on large lots, move the homes off and we would plumb apartment buildings and condos. The small home would end up being a move-on we would do in between ground and top out of the larger projects.

A move-on is a pretty quick deal because plates and floors are already drilled so you just demo the old stuff and throw the new stuff in.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That doesn't look like a difficult one. Here they would require full tests on the systems so you might want to allow for that because vents & drains can be broken in the wall, same with water pipes, installed valves won't hold the test, toilets have to be pulled & plugged, etc.

Not that bad, just need to think about these things.

J.C.

Comment

Two of us have more work than to shake a stick at, the other guy is an outside guy (water service/sewers/main lines)

I could get some spot labor to help me but if another master (someone who can run it quick) we can all make some coin and run.

I don't know anyone that I'd put on the hourly that's worth the time...that's why I wanted to just "spread the wealth!"

Comment

Working...
                              X