Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sewer gas leak detection/smell problems

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    We use 30 second smoke bombs. I just had one the other week. Poor people where getting bad smells every now and then. I explained to the them about the peppermint oil and that we put it down the vent stack on the roof. So we went outside to see how steep the roof where the vent stack comes out. To my surprise there was no vent stack. I went into his attic, and sure enough there is the vent stack, stopped about about 2 feet below the roof venting away in the attic. House is a year and half old.
    thats just a pickle . where apx. was that if you dont mind me asking
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

All we do is commercial(supermarkets mainly) and never, ever had a need for a smoke machine. I would think in residential it would be easier, with most walls being sheetrock and easy to open. I can't begin to tell you how many brand new open vents I have found in attics/above ceilings it is ridiculous. The other common one is the water heater drain pan in the ceiling with it tied into the vent stack. As well as the multitude of unused drains that can be anywhere in a building. Follow your nose flood the system let water run every where AND turn off ALL air/AC/HEAT/FANS that just stirs up the odor makes it harder to find. And the ever-present NEVER ASSUME the original installer had a clue.

Comment

Just had a remodeled supermarket a year later with major odor issues. Between uncapped old vent lines and drains without traps, we found 15 open to straight sewer gas on the sales floor of the building. Took us multiple trips but each time we found something and finally in the end, checked EVERY location where remodelers did work with drain lines on sales floor.

Comment

Got a resolution to one problem house. Smoked it and cameraed and found nothing much, some suspect aav's which replacing did not help.

Smell ended up being gas travelling back into a wall in the house from the tank via.....drumroll please....

the electrical conduit for the effluent pump.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Those "stinkin" prima donna electricians...Also top 2/3 moneymakers for odors locating AAV, thank you code, such a great idea!!

Comment

hey i resemble that remark. breid................

Comment

Working...
              X