X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propress

Most of my work lately is not related to "must have" type work, emergencies etc. Most of it is upgrades, re-pipes, remodels etc. Again, what recession?

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      Most of my work lately is not related to "must have" type work, emergencies etc. Most of it is upgrades, re-pipes, remodels etc. Again, what recession?
      Well I'm glad to see the illegals haven't ruined your communities labor worth forcing licensed/insured out of construction.
      I'm moving up there

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        .I've always been a paranoid of sorts.
        Those crimps disturb the uniformity of the pipe.Will that cause turbulence wearing away the copper's protective petina?How long does rubber last?
        my boss said the same thing about the crimp disturbing the flow ,and you only get that with the Viega fittings the other brands do do that to the pipe ,they keep it round after its crimped
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

We're very busy these days, running six days a week and the phone just doesn't stop.
          Speak for yourself. I've been working 12 seven days a week lately. On Easter Sunday I was setting plumbing fixtures at 4 am.

(yeah, I just hired someone. Now to train them to the geno way.)
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Well I'm glad to see the illegals haven't ruined your communities labor worth forcing licensed/insured out of construction.
            I'm moving up there
            Come on up, I sure could use some help! The illegals won't live here, too cold!

Comment

It's funny how the economy has changed how we do business. We have always been a service company. We do a few new construction jobs but we have never relied on them for the major portion of income. To my mind, diversity is the key. We plumb, remodel, clean drains and sewers, do a lot of Oil and gas burner sales and installation so the guys have been pretty busy all winter though we have dropped off a bit the last couple of weeks.
              sigpic

Comment

We are a service company that does simple plumbing, sewer and drain work, and process piping. We stay far away from remodels and new construction.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have never used either, but could someone please tell me a technical reason why propress is better than a sharkbite in a residential application? Neither one is going to blow off when properly installed, and they both use o-rings as the seal. OK fire away..........

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                    I have never used either, but could someone please tell me a technical reason why propress is better than a sharkbite in a residential application? Neither one is going to blow off when properly installed, and they both use o-rings as the seal. OK fire away..........
                    good point paul

here is my perspective as they are similar in 1 aspect, but different in another.

the sharkbite is always free to rotate as the grippers keep it from pulling apart, but not rotating. also they are removable.

the propress is securely crimped into place and will not rotate. they are not removable either. the o-ring is also compressed against the copper very tightly.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                      I have only used a sharkbite in two applications both under a mobile home, both when it was 30 below. One blew apart right away, the other leaked. Both were used on pvc.
                      I've never had a single leak using propress and I doubt you could ever pull one off. (knock on wood).

Comment

Well, here is my take...

We were so skeptical about the system and hearing horror stories about guys forgetting to crimp a joint or crimping a joint but the pipe wasn't in all the way and they later blow apart when the house is finished.

We finally decided to buy one, just for the accessible stuff. Well after using and seeing how much it cut our labor costs we bought a compact model for every truck and use is on all our jobs from custom homes and condo renovations to service work.

What's great is being able to ball valve something when there is still water in the line. Especially when I am doing condo remodels, I ball valve all the supplies so the hotel or condo doesn't have to have the water off to a stack for a prolonged period of time. I can then come back and do he rough in. The condo and resort managers love that we use them.

I have also had times where they couldn't find the shut off valve and I have installed ball valves on a live line. That's nice and wet fun...

The oring is a secondary seal, the compression is what makes the seal. I had to do an 1-1/4" ball valve in the ground live and when I slid the valve on in blew the oring out. I did not notice, I crimped it, shut the valve and whaddya know.... no leaks!

For older pitted copper like I see on the beahfront buildings a lot, if I can't get it smooth enough I'll sweat it be because I have had the pro press joints on those leak. They leak only very slightly but they leak.

One thing though is that its a different style of plumbing. The fittings are larger than sweat so the make up of the fittings are different thus your take offs are different. Also there are spots where you can't get he jaw into so you have to prefab sections.

Overall its my best tool, and I love having it. Just remember to double check all your fittings for the crimp mark and mark all your insert depths.
                        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I have only used a sharkbite in two applications both under a mobile home, both when it was 30 below. One blew apart right away, the other leaked. Both were used on pvc.
                          I've never had a single leak using propress and I doubt you could ever pull one off. (knock on wood).
                          The pipe doesn't move around in a propress fitting. Its a compression seal not a push to connect oring seal.
                          Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                            Well, here is my take...

We were so skeptical about the system and hearing horror stories about guys forgetting to crimp a joint or crimping a joint but the pipe wasn't in all the way and they later blow apart when the house is finished.

We finally decided to buy one, just for the accessible stuff. Well after using and seeing how much it cut our labor costs we bought a compact model for every truck and use is on all our jobs from custom homes and condo renovations to service work.

What's great is being able to ball valve something when there is still water in the line. Especially when I am doing condo remodels, I ball valve all the supplies so the hotel or condo doesn't have to have the water off to a stack for a prolonged period of time. I can then come back and do he rough in. The condo and resort managers love that we use them.

I have also had times where they couldn't find the shut off valve and I have installed ball valves on a live line. That's nice and wet fun...

The oring is a secondary seal, the compression is what makes the seal. I had to do an 1-1/4" ball valve in the ground live and when I slid the valve on in blew the oring out. I did not notice, I crimped it, shut the valve and whaddya know.... no leaks!

For older pitted copper like I see on the beahfront buildings a lot, if I can't get it smooth enough I'll sweat it be because I have had the pro press joints on those leak. They leak only very slightly but they leak.

One thing though is that its a different style of plumbing. The fittings are larger than sweat so the make up of the fittings are different thus your take offs are different. Also there are spots where you can't get he jaw into so you have to prefab sections.

Overall its my best tool, and I love having it. Just remember to double check all your fittings for the crimp mark and mark all your insert depths.
                            Experience is experience so I have to default to what you saw, but it feels like VooDoo man.

I would have had to cut that one out.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Experience is experience so I have to default to what you saw, but it feels like VooDoo man.

I would have had to cut that one out.

J.C.
                              Test it out... that wasn't the only time I've done that although I don't recommended it
                              Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Really, PVC, huh, are you sure?
                                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X