X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propress

We have one at work (major industrial facility) I used it for the first time the other day. I am impressed (me dumb weldor after all), 2" copper water main sprung a leak in an elbow that feeds alot of stuff. No time for a shutdown, so I cut my pieces, get it ready, hack the leaking line out and 2 presses the new one is in. I am liking this Pro Press thing

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      Really, PVC, huh, are you sure?
      Excuse me, CPVC. Though I did run into a house recently and posted about it here that was re-piped with schedule 40 pvc, it's out there!

Comment

Great post MPM! The press tool has changed the way I do business, life is good.

Comment

Like almost any tool, if you can use it enough to have it pay for itself then it is a valuable addition to your assets. Sooooo I guess we should all Ebay our chain snappers
          Think hard now, you know you have only used that thing maybe a dozen times this year at best.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Like almost any tool, if you can use it enough to have it pay for itself then it is a valuable addition to your assets. Sooooo I guess we should all Ebay our chain snappers
            Think hard now, you know you have only used that thing maybe a dozen times this year at best.
            considering i have 8 of them, maybe i should

between the snap cutter and propress, if i had to give up 1 it would have to be the propress

how else could we cut clay, cast iron and no hub other than an abrasive saw, grinder

but then again, a propress with snap cutter attachment would basically be an all in 1 tool so the propress 330 with snap cutter is the keeper

although if i had to keep just 1 snap cutter, it would be my compact 1 hand ratchet wrench ridgid cutter

and as far as propress. i would have to keep 2. the smaller 210 and larger 330. i find that the 210 is my go to for the 1.25'' and smaller while the 330 is my big daddy crimper and cutter

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

We use a diamond wheel on a 4" grinder about 90% of the time now to cut cast. I have not seen clay pipe around her for 20 years now. It does not do well in frost environments. I have a Ridgid 226 soil pipe cutter though that I think I will hold on to. It's compact and fits under the van shelf.
              sigpic

Comment

problem with cutting cast iron with a grinder is sparks, noise, potentially splatter if the line is existing and wet and the worst is that all that sawdust from the cast will leave rust stains all over the place.

if i can snap it, it gets snapped. even when it's in the ground, a long as it's not too week.

clay is a mess to grind. but it's the easiest to snap and it snaps perfectly every time.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  problem with cutting cast iron with a grinder is sparks, noise, potentially splatter if the line is existing and wet and the worst is that all that sawdust from the cast will leave rust stains all over the place.

if i can snap it, it gets snapped. even when it's in the ground, a long as it's not too week.

clay is a mess to grind. but it's the easiest to snap and it snaps perfectly every time.

rick.
                  Even the horizontal? Every time I tried to snap a horizontal piece of cast it crushes . I stopped trying after the 4th time and have conceded to use a target saw or angle grinder on horizontal cast iron. I've never ran across clay pipe here...
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I love snapping Ductile Iron.. its funny to watch some one that has never snapped Ductile iron try with all their might.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                      Even the horizontal? Every time I tried to snap a horizontal piece of cast it crushes . I stopped trying after the 4th time and have conceded to use a target saw or angle grinder on horizontal cast iron. I've never ran across clay pipe here...
                      the trick with older no hub/ cast iron is to use the cutter as a wheel cutter. don't try snapping it all at once. instead tighten the chain and roll the cutters/ chain back and forth a few times. continue to tighten the wheels and as it cuts a groove, then you can snap it.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        lets see, ridgid and viega and all the other manufacturers are in on the whole pressing thing. They being the manufacturers in general have also been responsible for every bad product that has come down the pipe (PB, Orangeburg ect...)

i think their pockets and insurance is a lot deeper than my 2 million in coverage. Which means that in the event of a flaw they can steamroll you and your insurance, bigger dollars wins.

i'll continue to trust and use this system as i do. there are more and more supply houses that stock propress as there are more and more plumbers and contractors using this system. "Everybodys doing it" so it is ok?

the more skeptics out there, the less i need to compete with.

when a city inspector was so impressed with a 3'' backflow preventer that he brought his other inspectors out to see the installation and then calls me to compliment the installation. i feel pretty confident that propress is here to stay. Looking pretty and being functional in 20 years are two different things. Time is the only thing that will tell to see if the EPDM
                        O-rings hold up (alot of cheaper brand toilet flappers are made of EPDM rubber and we know how they last)

ron and i are both sold on the system. I like the system and will use it but have my reservations on the fittings service life.

If you want to read a joke of a warranty read the Viega Propress Warranty:

http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...anty_04081.pdf

After reading that warranty It amazed me how similar it is to the Cash Acme "Sharkbite" warranty.

Nothing like a company that will stand behind their product

p.s. i also like pex, but i don't use it yet

rick.
                        Bill

Comment

There are many plumbing products out there that use the rubber or epdm seal, not just propress. Every water softener I've put in the last couple years comes with it's own bypass kit using push in connections with lock rings using the same seals.
                          Delta, Moen and a number of other manufactures have been using rubber seals on their stems and cartridges for as long as I can remember, I would say it's been at least one lifetime if not two in plumbing years and they're doing fine.
                          I Don't think it has anything at all to do with the technology, I think it's great. They really knocked one out of the park in my opinion when they made the press fittings. I would bet it all on these fittings, they just don't leak unless you install them wrong, human error just like any plumbing fitting. If you do them correctly they are da chit!
                          I think the problem is some plumbers just don't like or won't accept change and there is nothing wrong with that. You can continues soldering, I'll be pressing. We're all happy!

Comment

I finally decided to try out Pro Press after seeing a show on Discovery that featured its use in the construction of a high rise luxury condo building in downtown Los Angeles.

There was even a cameo appearance of my old drill sergeant plumbing inspector on the show.

The liability of using a questionable copper joining system in a luxury high rise would be out the roof! Forget flooding a single unit, you could flood several units on multiple floors in no time. I figured if they were willing to stick out their necks on such a grand scale, I could give it a try for my service and repair work.

I am very happy with the results.

I was once a skeptic, which had more to do with me propping up my hardcore old school plumbing image. Its ease of use threatened my very existence or so it seemed.

One day I am going to try some PEX too. I have had the tools for years, but sat on the fence as the state of CA wasn't officially adopting it.

Comment

Working...
                            X