X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress

A few months have gone by since the question has been asked of the forum.

Do you see propress as an option in your company,and if so where?

I do have a machine.I'm just not as comfortable putting it in closed walls like soldered joints.I've always been a paranoid of sorts.
    Those crimps disturb the uniformity of the pipe.Will that cause turbulence wearing away the copper's protective petina?How long does rubber last?

Yeah sure,on a tankless outside or on the highly visable garage wall(Maximum Pose Factor),no problem.

Law suits/insurance claims suck.
    I don't care if it's material manufacture I still get sucked into the vortex.

Re: Propress

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    A few months have gone by since the question has been asked of the forum.

Do you see propress as an option in your company,and if so where?

I do have a machine.I'm just not as comfortable putting it in closed walls like soldered joints.I've always been a paranoid of sorts.
    Those crimps disturb the uniformity of the pipe.Will that cause turbulence wearing away the copper's protective petina?How long does rubber last?

Yeah sure,on a tankless outside or on the highly visable garage wall(Maximum Pose Factor),no problem.

Law suits/insurance claims suck.
    I don't care if it's material manufacture I still get sucked into the vortex.
    My position has not changed as my needs haven't. Maybe I should create market situations for myself to press more.

I don't run into many draindown situations where I would need one. And on repairs the copper is often worn thin enough that a press fitting would not work.

Time will tell on the O-rings. I am aware of the warranty but my experience with warranties is for the guarantor to do everything possible to prove it to be installation error. Have to watch and see.

The one thing that I question about any new system instituted is they don't do flow testing with various water chemistry to my knowledge. If anyone knows of the tests please post them as I would like to read it. They do the required pressure tests, even hydraulic shock tests, some temperature test, but none show different water chemistry flowing through x fittings at y velocity rate with z pressure which I think might be one of the MOST important ways to assess the durability.

Might have shown the weaknesses of Polybutylene and Dezincification of some PEX fittings.

J.C.

Comment

Company has two. They were IMO a total waste of money but my brother got sucked in at a trade show. Doubt they get used twice a year. fittings are outrageously expensive. I have seen some guys using them for boiler manifolds but 1 1/4 tees and 90's will set you back a boat load of cash. I'll probably Ebay both of them when I get the time.
      sigpic

Comment

As I posted in another thread, I just bought a unit. I mainly use it for places where water will not shut off 100% or a long drain down time. Yes you can argue what did I do before the propress. I used to freeze the lines, or wait long periods for a drain down of the system. For me on the service side of doing this work, I like the fact I can quickly install a ball valve on a system that is still running water. Once I get the ball valve on and some pipe attached to it, I will sweat the rest of my pipe for the reason the fittings are very costly.

I know of many union jobsites where they are building new schools and such that 95% of the piping is propress.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I know of some custom build-outs where all of the work was done in propress.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We are still using it for copper and viega pex.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

What is the benifit in new construction over Victaulic for large copper pipe? I think soldering 1 1/4 and under would be more economical. Copper is almost dead here except for PW jobs.

Comment

Ratz, so the tool is around 15 hundred bucks and the valve is another 18. How many of dem do you have to press on before the tool is paid for Just raggin on ya. But hell, a set of jet swetts is what a 10th the cost and works just as well.
                sigpic

Comment

lets see, ridgid and viega and all the other manufacturers are in on the whole pressing thing.

i think their pockets and insurance is a lot deeper than my 2 million in coverage.

i'll continue to trust and use this system as i do. there are more and more supply houses that stock propress as there are more and more plumbers and contractors using this system.

the more skeptics out there, the less i need to compete with.

when a city inspector was so impressed with a 3'' backflow preventer that he brought his other inspectors out to see the installation and then calls me to compliment the installation. i feel pretty confident that propress is here to stay.

ron and i are both sold on the system.

p.s. i also like pex, but i don't use it yet

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                    What is the benifit in new construction over Victaulic for large copper pipe? I think soldering 1 1/4 and under would be more economical. Copper is almost dead here except for PW jobs.

propress stops at 4'' while copper vic goes to 6'', 8''.

i have both and have used both.

even the lausd school district uses them both.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

It's very rare these days that I sweat anything. I'm 100% set up with Propress and use it for all repairs and all new installation.

My propress copper jobs are bid very close to what I previously bid copper jobs in the past. I get them done in less than half the time and still make the same profit per job as I did before, or more.. My total profits for my business have increased dramatically using the propress system, more jobs equals more money.

I give my customers a choice between copper using the Viega propress or Viega pex, I do sell more pex jobs. I don't give them the choice using copper sweat fittings anymore. If that's what they want I tell them to call someone else. I'll never go back.

Comment

Pro Press is the way I worked for Carrozza and anything over 1 1/2" in the condos they built was P.P. ftg. coast more but saves on install time expesualy on 3" & 4" copper comp. to souldering
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Ah yes that time thing. We are all so busy these days
                          sigpic

Comment

We're very busy these days, running six days a week and the phone just doesn't stop.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Ah yes that time thing. We are all so busy these days
                              Actually the time established and big phone add companies are hitting on all eight these days.People have put off calling a professional as long as they can.

Robert is the only guy I know who is niether and is adding trucks.And his wife spends her spare time getting him on top of google for 9 million people

Other than that it's only us newbies waiting for the
                              legendary "Word Of Mouth Fairy" that are sucking on it.
                              Last edited by drtyhands; 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X