X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrified shower

on another site one was getting a shock off of the hot shower handle. one leg of the elec. w. h. was not hooked up and was touching the metal frame. also hot water was warm. i guessed old home with knob and tube. on the elec forum ,their guess was no bond back to panel, or a mix of plastic and metal pipes that broke the ground. good heads up for me anyway.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Its also possible that an appliance or other item has been grounded to the hot water line and is experiencing a short circuit. When the user touches the hot water handle near the ground connection he becomes the grounding point.

Its just one possibility. He really needs to get a qualified electrician out to take care of it. Also another reason this site needs an electrical forum.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

reminds me of the air conditioning unit last week in costa rica. with my feet touching the tile floor and turning on the wall mounted unit at the same time, i could feel the buzz. lession learned was to put on my shoes.

sort of tuff in the shower.

rick.

Comment

Part of your problem is the code vs. your inspecter. By code you have to bond you jetted tub motor to the nearest metal pipe. After that i was told to run it back to the panel so the person could never become the ground. An inspecter had it removed for some stupid reason. In my opinion we should no longer be bonding the motor to the pipe but run a 6 awg ground wire straight back to the panel. most of the new homes i have worked on in the past have been using pex pipe.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

"Also another reason this site needs an electrical forum."

I'll second that request.

Comment

question, when replacing an elec water heater,you find elec . code violations. i'm guessing some plumbers don't carry clamps and bonding wire on the truck. do you inform the customer of the hazard ? and how many
            differen't answers are you getting around the country
            from inspectors? thank's tool
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

AZPLUMBER we could have our own forum but some sparky's just whine to much. On the other hand when you get blamed for things you have no conrtol over you'd be whining a bit too.

I am not very familar with the new 2005 code yet but i hope the update the grounding section! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Polar Sparky 1224 ]
              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

everyone want.s to protect their turf, and that's understandable, and not wrong! on some safety issues,
                like this ,where it crosses the trades closely, i believe
                a little inter trade harmoney is called for. as plumbers, i'm guessing .more than not you will deal with bonding and grounding , on a replacement!

Comment

In California we have to run an unbroken ground wire all the way pack to the panel. As for carrying bonding supplies my trucks had to have grounding rods and all sorts of grounding materials. When you change out a gal or copper water main with plastic you need to drive a grounding rod to replace the cold water ground the old main supplied.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by AZPlumber:
                    "Also another reason this site needs an electrical forum."

I'll second that request.
                    Try Mike Holt's Code Fourm for your electrical questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X