Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

    I couldn't figure out why a new ceramic tile shower was leaking like Niagara Falls into the kitchen below.... I remember a thread by saysflushable saying "all tile showers are garbage", well this one is the trophy winner! Check out these pics:
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

    Whoever put that pan in deserves an award.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

      Why is there a tub spout in the shower? That person really needs to learn how to put a pan in.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

        Pretty popular in Canada to put a spout the shower. It helps when cleaning just the shower floor, and it also allows for the water to warm up while inside the shower without getting cold water sprayed on you,.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

          Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
          Pretty popular in Canada to put a spout the shower. It helps when cleaning just the shower floor, and it also allows for the water to warm up while inside the shower without getting cold water sprayed on you,.
          Thats not a bad idea, however, what do you then have to do to turn shower on, lean down and pull up button on spout? I wouldn't like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

            Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
            I couldn't figure out why a new ceramic tile shower was leaking like Niagara Falls into the kitchen below.... I remember a thread by saysflushable saying "all tile showers are garbage", well this one is the trophy winner! Check out these pics:
            Ahhh. So THAT's how you do them?
            Time flies like an arrow.

            Fruit flies like a banana.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

              Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Ahhh. So THAT's how you do them?
              Don't critisize, the guy used up all the scrap pieces. Maybe that was suppose to be an example of one of those "going green" jobs.
              1- He's saving the environment from all that rubber pan material ending up in a landfill (atleast for a while).
              2- Everything thing down below the shower, will be "going green". (Green with mold)
              3- He saved water, by not testing the pan.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                a spout in the shower is called a toe tester very popular in getcha showers you know when you turn on the water its gonna getcha

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                  i looked at a shower remodel a couple weeks ago that the owner hired a general contractor for.

                  fortunately i caught it just after they floated the floor and prior to any tile work. i couldn't believe my eyes

                  there was no backing for the liner as required.

                  there was no threshold, the drain and the threshold were at the same level.

                  the corners were cut open and exposed. i knew there was no way they could have tested it as it too would have leaked bad. there was no sings of water or rust in the new drain and no liner material was sandwiched in between the drain.

                  staples were driven through the liner at the top of the dam.

                  i advised the owner to rip it all out before they go any farther. he questioned me and said this contractor does lots of work in the building

                  great, then he should rip out everything he's touched

                  owner had me talk to the contractor on the phone i knew it wasn't going to be a good experience as who am i to say rip it out. of course i figured i saved him a good $5000. by ripping it out now and not later

                  best part of it was no city inspection, no contract, paid cash, no receipt for any work and no workers comp insurance. and no clue at doing a shower pan

                  not to mention the 2 handle shower valve he also installed with no shut off/ service stops. i guess shutting off a 20 unit building to service it is not an issue not to mention the lack of a pressure balance valve.

                  i was so shocked at his reaction that i didn't have the heart to take pictures but i did call mark and share my experience.

                  hopefully this owner and contractor learned a relatively cheap lesson by this

                  he might not have realized it at the time, but by me showing up when i did, he got the best advise on the entire project

                  wish i had photos
                  '
                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                    Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
                    a spout in the shower is called a toe tester very popular in getcha showers you know when you turn on the water its gonna getcha
                    Bingo.

                    Here's a shower with a thermostatic mixing valve, a diverter valve located above the mixing valve which ports the water to either the handheld shower, the shower head, the toe tester, or any combination of two of the outlets simultaneously.

                    I installed the toe tester in this case because the owner insisted on the valve and showerhead being located where they are. Pretty much you are going to get blasted with cold water when the showerhead comes on. Thus the toe tester.
                    Attached Files
                    Time flies like an arrow.

                    Fruit flies like a banana.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                      Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Bingo.

                      Here's a shower with a thermostatic mixing valve, a diverter valve located above the mixing valve which ports the water to either the handheld shower, the shower head, the toe tester, or any combination of two of the outlets simultaneously.

                      I installed the toe tester in this case because the owner insisted on the valve and showerhead being located where they are. Pretty much you are going to get blasted with cold water when the showerhead comes on. Thus the toe tester.
                      I have never installed a toe tester. What is the oulet you used for it? That isn't a tub spout?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                        Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                        I have never installed a toe tester. What is the oulet you used for it? That isn't a tub spout?
                        Looks like a wall 90 for a personal spray hose to me, which does the job it was intended for, & sticks out alot less than a tub spout.
                        That 1st picture, on #1 thread has a picture of a tub spout, with a diverter button. Thats why I asked, how the water was diverted to showerhead. Seems to me that you would be bumping into that spout, very easily. I simply stand a little to the side, until hot water gets there. Adding a diverter for this seems like over kill to me. Also gotta rely on last person to use shower, or yourself, remembering to put diverter in proper position. I know its not rocket science, but just not necessary, IMO.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                          That's crazy !! I go 9" of solid blocking, Under pan, I install a sloped foam and cardboard
                          base. All glued up ,tested and signed off By plumbing inspector. Was this Guy the low bidder by chance?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            That's crazy !! I go 9" of solid blocking, Under pan, I install a sloped foam and cardboard
                            base. All glued up ,tested and signed off By plumbing inspector. Was this Guy the low bidder by chance?
                            i was called as they were looking for a way to cap the center diverter handle from the prior tub/ shower valve.

                            this guy has no permits, no inspector, no contract, no receipt, and no clue

                            rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: HACK PVC Shower Pan Liner- PICS

                              Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                              Looks like a wall 90 for a personal spray hose to me, which does the job it was intended for, & sticks out alot less than a tub spout.
                              That 1st picture, on #1 thread has a picture of a tub spout, with a diverter button. Thats why I asked, how the water was diverted to showerhead. Seems to me that you would be bumping into that spout, very easily. I simply stand a little to the side, until hot water gets there. Adding a diverter for this seems like over kill to me. Also gotta rely on last person to use shower, or yourself, remembering to put diverter in proper position. I know its not rocket science, but just not necessary, IMO.
                              Bingo. It is a wall 90 for a handheld shower. It was the only way i could find to match the Venetian Bronze trim.

                              As far as overkill is concerned. Maybe, but they wanted to be able to use the shower and handheld simultaneously so the diverter was going in one way or another and they can also use the toe tester to fill a cleaning bucket.

                              If you want to see overkill I should dig out some pics of my son's shower.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

                              Fruit flies like a banana.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X