X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertising in the first years.

I've shared my yellow pages nightmare at http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21913

I hope you have better luck than me if you go for it.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any suggestions and advice anyone cares to give me. I always do a 1st class job everytime, to me there is no other way to do it. I was thinking about forgetting a yp ad and just listing myself there. I can't beleieve what they charge ! As far as the 10% coupons, yeah I will get a lot of shoppers but I get that anyway whith the company I manage now that only advertises in the yp. I don't mind shoppers, it's just part of it. I am usually able to catch em anyway and I have never budged on my prices. I have been letting people know I am going to be opening a new company. I have worked hard to build up an exellent rep. Like I said I just want to get the word out to the other 90% of the island who is not familliar with me.

Fact is if I want to secure some kind of a bank loan, which I will need to do for the equipment I will need, they want to see some kind of marketing plan and costs for it. Walking into a bank and just telling them "well I know a lot of people and I do excellent work" isn't going to fly. They only care about facts and figures, how much I will spend on marketing, what kind of marketing, ect.
      Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Consider a website. Make sure it's good. Another thing, the copy in your ads should be about helping people, not listing what you do. Alot of people don't know or care what a jetter is, they want the poo to go away. Don't mention low prices or free in your ads as they'll bring the lowballers calling. Put your phone number by your name in every ad. This way the won't have to look further. It will be the second thing they see.

You should be on Angies list and Facebook. These are more ways to make contacts and show that you care about your customers. Hand out your business card everywhere you go. Hang them up on any public bulliten board you come to. Go back and put more up.

Keep your truck in good condition and lettered so they can read it at a glance as you are going by. Keep it clean.

I know alot of this is common sense and I'm sure you know all of this already but not everyone does.

Good luck in your venture!
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post

I am looking at doing basic yellow pages ad, direct mail marketing postcards targeting homeowners and businesses, radio ad and newspaper ad. It's getting expensive almost 15k just in marketing ! I do have a good reputation with consumers and businesses on one part of the island. Currently I work for a company that only works on the west side of the island w/ a population of 9,100, but I am looking to do all island service. The population is about 150k. So I will need to establish my self with the other 140,900 people .
          You might try taking a computer, printing out your info and getting some friends or kids you trust to distribute them in targeted neighborhoods. Maybe have some of those kitchen magnets that show the schedule of some popular sports team made up to go with the letter. The benefit is no ongoing costs like Yellow pages. If you hit some tough months you'll appreciate low overhead.

Get hooked in with a few realtors.

When you get a job in that neighborhood do a good job and be reasonably priced. Word will spread.

Good luck!
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post

Fact is if I want to secure some kind of a bank loan, which I will need to do for the equipment I will need, they want to see some kind of marketing plan and costs for it. Walking into a bank and just telling them "well I know a lot of people and I do excellent work" isn't going to fly. They only care about facts and figures, how much I will spend on marketing, what kind of marketing, ect.
            What about buying the large jetter once you have built your company and know you have customers and demand and have earned enough to pay cash? (Loans give me the heebee jeebees.)

Consider buying good used equipment and save yourself a bundle! It's out there these days. Patience. Patience.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

MPM Like Rick says get the word out ! This is the problem I am having right now I have done plumbing for ten years and was never allowed to do side work and was told I would be fired if I did. The day I tell him he tells me he will keep working me till I get busy I think great . Come in the next day it sounds like it is only going to be a month ok. come back after working on a water service replacement and am told to sigh some thing and I am fired! Ten years well thats my stupidity ! My ads are not making the phone ring man it is all about who you know and do they know you are a plumber thats what keeps you busy not a stupid phone book I did not believe this because I always saw the phone book laying out we I got to one of his new customers but unless you have enough money to get a full page or two page forget it. All your are doing at that point is giving that sales guy a better commission . If I had it to do over again I would have the smallest ad I could to be able to list all that I do and nothing else. Anything in between its like it does't count at least in the Baltimore area. The big thing is with a smaller ad your making more money on every job and you'll need it more than the phone book thats my 2cents .
              Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X