Wow, didn't see that coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wow, didn't see that coming!

the stainless flexes can be damaged by cleaners either applied or gassing out of the bottles under the sinks.

the polymer stainless looking brasscraft connectors are immune to the chlorine and ammonia based cleaners.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I was called to install a stop on an existing copper stub once. This was at zero-property-line houses. (A shared wall). These had been built about 12 years ago.

The stub was straight through the floor in the kitchen. A cabinet was originally over it. I was told that the refrigerator was originally going to be there but the whole kitchen got rearranged. Now they wanted to rearrange again and put the refrigerator there.

I shut off the house main and went to all of the interior fixtures to drain it down. The kitchen was on the second floor. All good. All dead.

I cut the stub and it shot to the ceiling with the full city pressure. I grabbed a basin wrench and made about a 50 yard dash to the meter. 6 meters beside one another, unlabeled, all underwater. Just looking at a puddle in each box. I dive in and shut them all down. It's about 35 degrees and I'm frozen.

Some stupid m'fer tied this one line in before the main shutoff or to one of the other units.

Owner's were very understanding, helped clean up, and paid me. I wasn't going to charge them after the fiasco.

Moving on....

We never, ever, see a stop that's incorporated with the supply line. Only way to get a metal stem is to get a sweat stop.

And PEX supplies have given me zero callbacks, weeps, breakaways, or degradation by cleaners.

Yet.

J.C.

Comment

For all the pex haters. A pex manifold would have prevented this. Turn off the kitchen at the manifold. Husband still has a hot shower, valves / faucet gets changed without Niagra Falls, everybodies happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbfast View Post
          For all the pex haters. A pex manifold would have prevented this. Turn off the kitchen at the manifold. Husband still has a hot shower, valves / faucet gets changed without Niagra Falls, everybodies happy.
          Every job around here that is done with pex, is due to saving the almighty $$$$$. Seen lots of pex & manifolds. Have yet to see a manifold installed with shut offs on the branches.
          The only thing I have against pex is the fact that everyone thinks you can put the stuff in, in 5 minutes, on remodel jobs, & think the cost difference, between using pex, or copper, should be 75% savings for using pex. And every hack out there can install it.
          Other than that, I love it.

Comment

I agree many DIYers and hacks are using pex because it's "easy". A far as cost savings I haven't seen much of a savings running from a manilfold with valves at each fixture (which is code in PA). It takes a skilled & experienced plumber to run it so it looks professional. A 32 port manifold install takes as much skill as copper and I can swet with the best of them. I hate seeing it on remodels as well. Pex to copper looks like cheap homeowners specials. I only run it on new builds with a manifold so there are no fittings except for the fixture valves.

Comment

The hard truth is that with all the pex out there now we are forced to deal with it.
              Better to be educated and offer a good pex product instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
              X