Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Leak

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    The last time I checked...meters go on the outside of a building. NFPA 58 has jurisdiction there. I fully agree with galvy outside and especially in a salt environment.

The fact that zinc is only a coating is the entire point. Thank you. A seam fault in a pipe can be sealed over by zinc and hold a good test while still being an unsafe section of pipe.

Inside of a building should only be done in black iron or CSST. Capital Period
    Everytime gas co. moves or relocates a meter here, they run all galv. pipe and fittings, inside & outside. Just saying.

Comment

I am running a new thread to cover the black/galvy? specifically.

Comment

[QUOTE=SewerRatz;293407]I get called out to a gas leak at a restaurant this morning. The gas company tagged the shut off valve under the steam table. I told them I will be back this evening to work on the leak that was tagged.

Well I get there at 10 pm and fired up my gas sniffer. I sniffed all around the gas valve and the pipes under the bottom shelf of the steam table and I was not reading any leaks. I then sniffed the 90º elbow that was about 20" up from the floor that leads into a tee on the run of the tee it leads to the first burner with a union. The branch pointed to the left which lead into another compartment, in the other compartment there was a 45º elbow a 6" nipple then another 45º elbow then a long length of pipe that lead to another union then to a burner. Now while sniffing around the tee the sniffer went off, around the first union on the run it went off, and around the 45º elbows in the other compartment it went off. We took apart all the pipes from the two unions and removed the tee. Turns out whom ever put this stuff together was afraid to tighten the fittings onto the pipe every joint that had a leak was only threaded in by two threads. So after changing out the pipe and fittings and reassembling the pipe we turned the gas on. I hear a huge leak I run the sniffer all around trying to find it but the pipes under the table, and the pipes we redid were all fine. That only leaves the riser pipe that brings the supply from under the shelf to under the table. My brother sticks his head in there and notices they have the foam insulation wrapped around the pipe a few inches above the 90º he removes it and finds tons of rust and a big old crack in the pipe.

What type of gas sniffer do you have is it electronic or the old soapy water as I am looking at buying a electronic one and am wondering if they are worth it.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          What type of gas sniffer do you have is it electronic or the old soapy water as I am looking at buying a electronic one and am wondering if they are worth it.

Tony
          I have a TIF 8800 well I have two of them now. I was recently given one by a retired heating and air guy. My first one is an older model, but still works like the day my father bought many years ago. It has never failed me once.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, how precise is your sniffer? Only famaliar with refrigerant sniffers and they won't get you anywhere close. To figure out what component has a leak, I wrap it up in a trash bag then place the sniffer inside. Then i use magic bubbles to find the exact leak. Does your sniffer find the exact joint?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Ron, how precise is your sniffer? Only famaliar with refrigerant sniffers and they won't get you anywhere close. To figure out what component has a leak, I wrap it up in a trash bag then place the sniffer inside. Then i use magic bubbles to find the exact leak. Does your sniffer find the exact joint?
              The nice thing is I can adjust the sensitivity of the sniffer, so I can get right to the exact joint with the leak every time. NiCorp gas company's sniffer will only locate dangerous leaks, it will not find the real small leaks. Where mine can find the tiniest to the largest leaks with ease.
              Ron's Facebook

Comment

i also have 2 of the tif units and honestly it's good if you are probing a wall cavity in the blind.

soap and water is so much faster and easier and accurate for exposed pipe and fittings. plus the soap batteries are not dead when needed

joey actually embarrassed a gas company employee at her work a number of years back while looking for a gas leak on a meter and 3'' meter and seismic valve.

he claimed it was on the building side. joey broke out the soap and taught him a thing or 2

he was so impressed he called his supervisor and bragged to him about joey

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have a Tif 8800A and a Tif 8850. They will both find the exact leak but more important you can search a large area outside and locate an underground leak as well.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                    The last time I checked...meters go on the outside of a building. NFPA 58 has jurisdiction there. I fully agree with galvy outside and especially in a salt environment.

The fact that zinc is only a coating is the entire point. Thank you. A seam fault in a pipe can be sealed over by zinc and hold a good test while still being an unsafe section of pipe.

Inside of a building should only be done in black iron or CSST. Capital Period
                    Last time I checked ,Meters are on the INSIDE of the building in S.F. It's a big country Kevin
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      I have a TIF 8800 well I have two of them now. I was recently given one by a retired heating and air guy. My first one is an older model, but still works like the day my father bought many years ago. It has never failed me once.
                      Could you post a web site so I could see your gas sniffer or other ones as their are buggar all here in Auss

Tony

Comment

http://www.tequipment.net/TIFTIF8800.asp
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I also have same one and have also used the one ridgid just put out sorry no comp. tif 8800 is 10x better
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I get called out to a gas leak at a restaurant this morning. The gas company tagged the shut off valve under the steam table. I told them I will be back this evening to work on the leak that was tagged.

Well I get there at 10 pm and fired up my gas sniffer. I sniffed all around the gas valve and the pipes under the bottom shelf of the steam table and I was not reading any leaks. I then sniffed the 90º elbow that was about 20" up from the floor that leads into a tee on the run of the tee it leads to the first burner with a union. The branch pointed to the left which lead into another compartment, in the other compartment there was a 45º elbow a 6" nipple then another 45º elbow then a long length of pipe that lead to another union then to a burner. Now while sniffing around the tee the sniffer went off, around the first union on the run it went off, and around the 45º elbows in the other compartment it went off. We took apart all the pipes from the two unions and removed the tee. Turns out whom ever put this stuff together was afraid to tighten the fittings onto the pipe every joint that had a leak was only threaded in by two threads. So after changing out the pipe and fittings and reassembling the pipe we turned the gas on. I hear a huge leak I run the sniffer all around trying to find it but the pipes under the table, and the pipes we redid were all fine. That only leaves the riser pipe that brings the supply from under the shelf to under the table. My brother sticks his head in there and notices they have the foam insulation wrapped around the pipe a few inches above the 90º he removes it and finds tons of rust and a big old crack in the pipe.

So here is a picture of the pipe. I turned the gas off for now, will be heading back to replace this all in the morning.

If steam table pipe was Galvy , It would be safe! Your Code on no galvy is a joke, Picture just proved it !
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              If steam table pipe was Galvy , It would be safe! Your Code on no galvy is a joke, Picture just proved it !
                              Next time I go back to this place I will take pictures of the other gas pipes under the steam table, they all look like the day they where installed. The problem here was someone wrapped this pipe in that spongy pipe insulation which was trapping the moisture around the pipe.

So to say our code is a joke because someone did something to the pipe that was unnecessary which in turn caused the corrosion is a false statement. Only the pipe that was wrapped up was affected the exposed pipes still looked like the day they where installed.
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Next time I go back to this place I will take pictures of the other gas pipes under the steam table, they all look like the day they where installed. The problem here was someone wrapped this pipe in that spongy pipe insulation which was trapping the moisture around the pipe.

So to say our code is a joke because someone did something to the pipe that was unnecessary which in turn caused the corrosion is a false statement. Only the pipe that was wrapped up was affected the exposed pipes still looked like the day they where installed.
                                Ron ,over the Years We have seen other similar failures with black iron and water! One one was feeding a restaurant on a pier!
                                Last edited by toolaholic; 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X