Gas Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Leak

i've had to replace black pipe that was exposed to moisture both under a house and of course outside that was not painted.

black pipe is easy to prime and paint, but why go with black when gal pipe doesn't require painting.

the only stuff i've ever found in drip legs was cutting oil and threading reaming. both of which should have been removed prior to installation.

i can't remember the last time i've seen a drip leg installed by a plumber out here. when i do, it's typically a water heater installed by a handyman.

back in 1990-91 we had a 544 unit apartment building that was all gas appliances. black pipe was not available which is less money. so the entire job was gal. gas piping. a blessing in surprise as it's only blocks from the ocean and exposed in the garage. no rust or corrosion.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i've had to replace black pipe that was exposed to moisture both under a house and of course outside that was not painted.

black pipe is easy to prime and paint, but why go with black when gal pipe doesn't require painting.

rick.
      Galvy most certainly does require painting if exposed. As has been pointed out, when trheads are cut, zinc is removed. The exposed threads must be protected. IFGC

Comment

Kevin is all about the gas!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I have a Tif 8800A and a Tif 8850. They will both find the exact leak but more important you can search a large area outside and locate an underground leak as well.

Mark
          Try taping a TIF to a line locator and you can find under ground leaks.

Comment

i can't remember the last time i've seen a drip leg installed by a plumber out here. when i do, it's typically a water heater installed by a handyman.
            Why no drip leg? West coast thing?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Why no drip leg? West coast thing?
              Our gas is clean and dry so drip legs are not required.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Our gas is clean and dry so drip legs are not required.

Mark
                mark, do i have to remind you that my gas is dirty and wet and will drip down my leg

will you stop telling people your gas doesn't stink

ben

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                  Galvy most certainly does require painting if exposed. As has been pointed out, when trheads are cut, zinc is removed. The exposed threads must be protected. IFGC
                  i carry instant cold galvanizing/ zinc rich spray. same stuff they use for chain link fence post after welding.

but truthfully if the plumber has applied the pipe dope over the threads, then it's very well protected from rusting.

the gas company carries grey spray paint to coat all their exterior pipes and dress up any scuffs around the meter.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i carry instant cold galvanizing/ zinc rich spray. same stuff they use for chain link fence post after welding.

but truthfully if the plumber has applied the pipe dope over the threads, then it's very well protected from rusting.

the gas company carries grey spray paint to coat all their exterior pipes and dress up any scuffs around the meter.

rick.
                    Thanks Rick, I have that for welding in My shop, great idea
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                    X