X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet wipes damage sewage plant pump >news article

Read this regarding "flushable" wet wipes and the sewage pump damage they are causing just outside of Toronto:

Beware the Humble Wet Wipe
    Sanitary Towels Causing Havoc in Durham

April 22, 2010
    Carola Vyhnak
    Torstar News Service
    Babies’ bums and sticky fingers might appreciate a swipe from a wet wipe, but the disposable towelettes aren’t welcome in the toilets of Durham.

They’re causing costly blockages and breakdowns in the region’s sanitary sewer system because they don’t break down, says the works department, which is asking residents to stop flushing them.

In the Ajax pumping station, $10,000 pumps that would normally last three or four years were being replaced every couple of months because of damage caused by the wipes, says Jim Cunningham, supervisor for technical support.

Even though the wipes might be called “flushable,” they’re not because the thread that runs through the material prevents them from biodegrading, he explains.

So they get snagged and accumulate in the pipes, causing blockages. The ones that make it to the pumping stations get lodged in the pumps, causing equipment failure, backups, residential flooding and operational problems.

Crews are currently repairing pumps in Oshawa and Whitby.

After pamphlets asking people to stop flushing the wipes were distributed in the neighbourhood that was the source of problems in Ajax, the problem stopped, Cunningham says.

Only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed into the system, he adds.

Blockages from wipes have not been an issue for Toronto’s water treatment system because the pumping stations that handle residential wastewater are equipped with grinders, a spokesperson explains. As well, all four treatment plants have screeners that capture solids and floatables before the flow enters the system.

Re: Wet wipes damage sewage plant pump >news article

The last 4 drain clearing jobs I have done I pulled out those "flushable" wipes wrapped up on the end of my cable. I just cleared a toilet last week that was backed up from those things.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I have a few customers, as well as my wife, over the years,argue with me about flushing those wipes, because, they say, if they weren't flushable, why would the manufacturer say it was. Well we all know manufacturers are never wrong. I made my wife a believer, that they should not be flushed, when I simply filled up the bathroom lav one day, & dunked one of those "flushable wipes" in, & then left it in the water for 10hrs, while we were away. When I came back, I grabbed it out to show her it was still just as strong, & durable, as it was, right out of the box. They are not biodegradable.
      The fact that we pull them out of drains in 1 piece, after whipping around on the sewer cables, should be enough evidence, but they never wanna believe you, especially the wives

Comment

I love wet wipes very good for my economy

Comment

Flushable wipes are the best thing that ever happened to the drain cleaning industry

Comment

i have this same discussion every time i clear wipes from the drains.

i tell them to fill 2 glasses with water and place a wipe in one and toilet paper in the other. let sit overnight and see what remains. then let it sit for a month and even a year. the wipes are cloth like and will not break down.

i tell the customer that they are designed to not clog a toilet. but that's it. they have no idea what's down stream. same goes with dental floss, towel paper, sanitary products and so on.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i have this same discussion every time i clear wipes from the drains.

i tell them to fill 2 glasses with water and place a wipe in one and toilet paper in the other. let sit overnight and see what remains. then let it sit for a month and even a year. the wipes are cloth like and will not break down.

i tell the customer that they are designed to not clog a toilet. but that's it. they have no idea what's down stream. same goes with dental floss, towel paper, sanitary products and so on.

rick.
              An old timer septic guy told me the best way to see if toilet paper or anything else for that matter is flushable is to get your hands on a empty jar with a lid. Fill it half way with water, add two squares of the toilet paper put the lid on and shake the jar for 10 to 15 seconds, if the paper is broken up into small pieces its safe, if it clumps or stays together its not safe.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Just pulled some out of a toilet. I explained that regardless of what is says on the packaging they are not flushable. I got some tp and soaked it in water and showed her how it breaks up quickly.
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

There has got to be a solution for everybody using babywipes. I'm still baffled by the 3 ply T.P. they are advertising and how it shouldn't get tangled in the bears butt hair. I know a bunch of smart plumbers should have a solution for this by now. HMMMMMM nope I got nothing, I guess T.P. and baby wipes are the best we have.

Comment

Working...
                  X