Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Permits

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
    In Colorado the state doesn't consider some things to even be plumbing when it comes to permit requirements. Such as replacing water heaters, garbage disposers, drain cleaning, etc.
    Colorado doesn't even care who runs gas lines. Boilers and HVAC, not one days experience...you want to be a contractor...no problem just register your tax papers. Just pay the $200 permit. Maybe one day someone of importance will get killed and they will change their ways.

Comment

Around here they want a permit for anything and everything. permits are revenue for the city, and during these financial difficult times, you bet your sweet a&& they want a permit.
      I had to pull a permit to replace a tub, w.c and lavy. $44.00 last jan.
      Last edited by copperhead; 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I pull a permit for anything the homeowner might use as a selling point. EX, water heater, if no permit is pulled, they can't list that they had a new water heater installed. A 2' section of new pipe won't be listed, so I don't even bother.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We have a full time permit runner. He knows all the ins and outs of the bureaucratic red tape inside the DC government. Most water heaters are done on what we call a 'post card' permit through the mail. Any outside work has to go through zoning and historic preservation. This can sometimes take weeks.

If you don't know the right people to deal with, it can be a real PITA

Comment

Well it has been a little while since I started this thread but in the mean time I had people in the permit office telling me I need to pull a permit to replace a kitchen faucet This was Baltimore City . I then called the county and a inspector told me that " yea legally but nobody here is really worried about it worst case if the homeowner makes some kind of complaint we would just make you buy a post card $22 " Then when I had a job inspected I put the inspector on the spot in front of the customer and asked him "well how many kitchen faucets have you inspected" He told me if he does not know about it he can not do any thing about it . and went on to basically tell me the same thing as the county inspector. But wow a permit runner this stuff is crazy I really think this stuff needs to be online or maybe it would be too easy and the inspectors would not be able to do all the inspections

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              In Maryland the master plumber is the one pulling permits and I was always working under his license and had a journeyman's license for a long time and then had my master for the last year and even then I was not pulling permits and I could not anyway because I did not have insured to work status. Only after your status changes can you get permits. I have since learned the following work requires a permit: water heater replace , gas appliance replacement , sump pump , sewage pump , well pump , gas line , water conditioner , building sewer repair, replacement, or cutting in a c.o., water service replacement or repair, dishwasher replacement , septic repair , in commercial buildings under 50% water distribution replacement "pipe repair permit" and the list goes on and on and on. And then if its not on a post card permit you must stop work and drive and waste a half an hour. One county does all this online and you use you license # and a credit card but the rest are all old school.
              Funny you should mention Maryland, used to be if you wanted to contract out water heater installs for someone like Sears they required permits on all installations. In Baltimore city that would cost you three hours looking for a parking spot and a hour getting your permit, thats why you have so much trash put in by the ones doing it, they don't have enough time to do it right.

Most areas WILL let you have someone else pick up your permits, and I think they are on the post card system now.

Comment

No Post cards in Baltimore City apparently they ended it before I started my company and I have no one to run for me

Comment

You are right on the money with how long it take. Got 5 post card in my truck for the county its like the city does not want the revenue? AA county is thru their web page need a permit no problem it is like some of the areas are stuck in their own litle world.

Comment

Working...
                  X