X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permits

Do most Plumbers get permits for every little job? I am sure this sounds stupid but I am learning alot about the whole permit process I was never exposed to this before were I worked. Back to the question just what do you get permits for and do you get any complaints from customers about having to stop everything to drive down to pay for them?

Re: Permits

We don't need no stinkin Inspectors !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

So thats a no for tool lol. I just want to see what the norm is with others. I think some of these guys really don't know a whole lot at least in the city.I have called them to see what the deal is on wh replacements because they all want something different and whats up with that bs . But I will get their requirements and ask a couple more questions and get a whole bunch of bs answers. I heard stories like this in plumbing school but never went thru any inspections on job and never really got to talk to any of these guys.

Comment

I think it depends on what type of work a plumber is doing. New construction, yes! Service and repair, not usually. I was told back in Apprienticeship school by a teacher/L.A. Inspector that anytime a seal of a trap is broken, then it requires an inspection. That doesn't happen around here. I don't pull permits for faucets, undersink piping, etc. If a customer wants one they can pull the permit and wait for one.

Comment

So I am just asking because I am curious, 10.5 years experience and you have never pulled a permit and you don't know what or when to pull permits for?

I agree some munis can be weird about permits. In Colorado the state doesn't consider some things to even be plumbing when it comes to permit requirements. Such as replacing water heaters, garbage disposers, drain cleaning, etc.
          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

In Maryland the master plumber is the one pulling permits and I was always working under his license and had a journeyman's license for a long time and then had my master for the last year and even then I was not pulling permits and I could not anyway because I did not have insured to work status. Only after your status changes can you get permits. I have since learned the following work requires a permit: water heater replace , gas appliance replacement , sump pump , sewage pump , well pump , gas line , water conditioner , building sewer repair, replacement, or cutting in a c.o., water service replacement or repair, dishwasher replacement , septic repair , in commercial buildings under 50% water distribution replacement "pipe repair permit" and the list goes on and on and on. And then if its not on a post card permit you must stop work and drive and waste a half an hour. One county does all this online and you use you license # and a credit card but the rest are all old school.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              In Maryland the master plumber is the one pulling permits and I was always working under his license and had a journeyman's license for a long time and then had my master for the last year and even then I was not pulling permits and I could not anyway because I did not have insured to work status. Only after your status changes can you get permits. I have since learned the following work requires a permit: water heater replace , gas appliance replacement , sump pump , sewage pump , well pump , gas line , water conditioner , building sewer repair, replacement, or cutting in a c.o., water service replacement or repair, dishwasher replacement , septic repair , in commercial buildings under 50% water distribution replacement "pipe repair permit" and the list goes on and on and on. And then if its not on a post card permit you must stop work and drive and waste a half an hour. One county does all this online and you use you license # and a credit card but the rest are all old school.
              Well, that's all fine ,but what if it's
              on a dead end street in the rear of the house?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I asked that question about something simple like installing a cleanout to one of the county regulators. He said the only way you'd get caught is if the neighbor turned you in.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

It depends on the city or town I am working in. If one is required we do pull the permit. Like in the city of Chicago, you need to pull a permit if you are rodding a main line. You just call a phone number give them your Drain Layers # the address where you are rodding at, then they give you a permit # along with the location of the stub. Most cities and towns require a permit for a water heater change out along with an inspection.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Base permit fees here are $90 and going up to $115. Yes, the County here thinks it deserves more money than the poor shlub installing a water heater or such. I don't think compliance will increase or even stay flat with this thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                      Base permit fees here are $90 and going up to $115. Yes, the County here thinks it deserves more money than the poor shlub installing a water heater or such. I don't think compliance will increase or even stay flat with this thinking.
                      Aye Carumba! $90 base fee? The highest base plumbing fee I'm aware of in Minnesota is in St. Paul @ $76. In St. Paul they nick you for $34 a fixture after that. ($28 for waste and vent, plus $6 for water).

Here it's essentially permits are required on all plumbing work except for minor repairs. If a toilet is removed and reset to install a new floor no permit.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Additional inspections in S.F. are $170.00 . I had a remodel and called for shower pan insp.
                        I think this must be the highest!

Comment

No comments from Rick?

Comment

Or Plumberscrack ? whats the deal guys?

Comment

This is a simple case of use your best judgement. A permit is not a bad thing really. It gives you something to stand on later if "oh crap" did happen. Change out a water heater, no. Put in a C/O, no. Repipe a house, you bet.

One question to ask, are there other contractors around which may draw attention. If you are a service plumber don't worry to much. If you are remodeling or new construction then the choice is clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X