Scrapping / Salvage Materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapping / Salvage Materials

Being a one man operation and doing both Plumbing and HVAC I tend to collect alot of scrap... I let it build up sometimes to much until I can't stand it then take it across the scales.

On the HVAC side of things most of the scrap equipment has to be seperated out ( Coils, Compressor, sheet metal). On the plumbing side Copper pipe is a bit easier to manage and store in smaller regular sections.

I really hated the tedious process of seperating everything out and have been kicking around an easier way to do it.

I got to thinking about the great way I have been cutting CI pipe with a grinder and a diamond blade (thanks to this site) and thought this would be a great way to deal with my scrap.

Enter the Stihl 420 Quickie saw w/ 14" diamond blade

I can say that after 2 hours of testing their is nothing in the scrap pile that this machine cant cut.

-Steel
    -Aluminum
    -Copper
    -Tin
    -Cast Iron

How did I ever get along without one of these

Re: Scrapping / Salvage Materials

I actually use a band saw with it set in the vertical. hold the piece in both hands, pull it back towards you carefully and it'll zip right through all materials that are copper/brass/aluminum.

I'm real lazy these days and eventually I'm going to get myself going on getting my scrap under control. Time is now!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That diamond blade can cut steel and other metal? Is this right?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We have the Huski = its SWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          That diamond blade can cut steel and other metal? Is this right?
          Yes, look at diamond rescue blades that are used by Fire Departments they cut ANYTHING though they can cost a bit ($300)

"Rescue Blades are used in emergency situations by fire departments and rescue units throughout the world. Rescue blades cut through materials such as metal, chains, locks, iron fencing, re-bar, steel, pipe, ductile iron, cast iron, copper, concrete, masonry, stone, stucco, wood, HDPE, PVC, plastic, metal, roofing, steel studs, and more."

I have been using the same diamond blade on a handheld electric grinder to cut Cast Iron for over 2 years..

Comment

I often use a sawzall because of its portability, but some scrap can be cut up using a carbide saw. I'd hate to start spending more on tools to cut up scrap than I'm getting from the scrap . . .

But then, I don't have enough scrap to matter. I usually take at least a year between trips to the salvage yard.

Comment

I started saving all my scrap copper and brass and tossing it into a room we don't use off the crappy garage on the alley, yes it's locked up.

The pile is already up to my waist high, saving it for a retirement cruise to Alaska, or something when the price of copper gets to 10 bucks a pound..

Comment

I've had that saw for Years. I use a metal cut of for cutting steel and C.I. I would never use an expensive diamond blade or Iron. Sure It'll do it , but at what cost?? Most of My use is concrete cutting.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I give all the scrap to my appretice he cuts it up and hauls it on his own time and puts all the money towards his kids college fund.

Comment

Working...
                  X