X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on hard water

Ok I have a restaurant that has hard water that they would like me to do something for the dishwasher only not everything any suggestions there not to big on installing a water soffener how can you soften water without a soffener!!!
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Re: Question on hard water

water is apx 34 grains hardness
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Really 34 grains, as in 581 ppm? You can chew on that, dishwasher shouldn't last a week. Or do you mean 34 ppm, apprx 2 grains hard which means they have spotting.

There is no hocus pocus means of water softening. If they want to do dishwasher only, there are high- temp softeners available which means it could be smaller if not doing all hot water but they are expensive, might as well do all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
        Really 34 grains, as in 581 ppm? You can chew on that, dishwasher shouldn't last a week. Or do you mean 34 ppm, apprx 2 grains hard which means they have spotting.

There is no hocus pocus means of water softening. If they want to do dishwasher only, there are high- temp softeners available which means it could be smaller if not doing all hot water but they are expensive, might as well do all.
        I am just passing # on I didnt test water my self most all my work is in city on city water with no hard water problems this is more of a favore for freind that runs store
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

One of the restaurants I work at has a mini softener right under the table next to the dishwasher. If I recall EcoLabs installed it along with the dishwasher.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have been looking into the salt free easy water company. they clam to have commercial customers I may buy one and see what the deal is .

Comment

I've been through this subject too many times to want to launch into the whole thing again but be warned. If you have hard water, there is nothing other than Ion exchange (traditional resin bead) softeners that work. All the easy waters and zeta rods and the many many other products that come and go are scams. They can not and do not work. You can do some research but the best site I've found is www.chem1
              sigpic

Comment

we've had a few Zeta-rods installed for about a year now. I'm going to agree with NHMaster here. it's junk science.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I've been through this subject too many times to want to launch into the whole thing again but be warned. If you have hard water, there is nothing other than Ion exchange (traditional resin bead) softeners that work. All the easy waters and zeta rods and the many many other products that come and go are scams. They can not and do not work. You can do some research but the best site I've found is www.chem1
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I also agree a small water softener is the way to go...
                  The only hard water I now have is located in my freezer

The easy water devices are a scam

Cactus Man

Comment

You are 100% correct!!! all else is a scam.

Comment

years ago we built a large hotel and only the hot water had a softener. of course it was on the cold water feed to the heater. i remember loading pallets of resin and can't remember if it was carbon or sand into the 2 large softeners. not to mention all the salt.

this was back in 1989 and i forget

have them check with their commercial kitchen supplier. typically they will have a solution to the spotting.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        You are 100% correct!!! all else is a scam.
                        Not to toot my own horn, but I've spent the last 20 years debunking this crap. I have bought and tested units, researched and tried to validate their claims, sent units along with test data to a couple colleges for evaluation and delved pretty damn deep into the supposed science behind these scams. Ultimately every single one of them has been proven to be a marketing scam and a waste of money. There is zero factual science to support any of their claims and when you push the company manufacturing this junk they either fold like a cheap suitcase, ignore you totally or threaten to sue you. There is NO actual, factual test data to support Easy Water's claims and in fact, other than a pile of " customer endorsements" there is no proof that they do anything at all other than relieve you of your money.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not to toot my own horn, but I've spent the last 20 years debunking this crap. I have bought and tested units, researched and tried to validate their claims, sent units along with test data to a couple colleges for evaluation and delved pretty damn deep into the supposed science behind these scams. Ultimately every single one of them has been proven to be a marketing scam and a waste of money. There is zero factual science to support any of their claims and when you push the company manufacturing this junk they either fold like a cheap suitcase, ignore you totally or threaten to sue you. There is NO actual, factual test data to support Easy Water's claims and in fact, other than a pile of " customer endorsements" there is no proof that they do anything at all other than relieve you of your money.
                          Agree completely. These crooks should be jailed, along with the guy that has the little sheet metal grapefuit slicer thing that you put in you car's air horn to improve your gas mileage, or the magic magnet that you put on your fuel line.

I have 21 grain hard water in my area. Most of my friends around here are engineers or execs that came out of engineering.

We all love gizmos and gadgets, to a fault.

None of us - not one - has anything other than a salt-based (potassium chloride is also technically a salt - potassium is an alkali metal just like sodium), ion exchange softener of the Clack, Fleck, Autotrol, Kinetico or similar varieties.

If the hardness doesn't go down the drain, it's still in the water. It's chemistry, but not rocket science.

Comment

Take a look at KrystalKlearwater.com They have a unit that uses low voltage electric that changes the structure of calcium and magnesium. It does not soften the water but changes it to be less corrosive and not harmful to fixtures. I am not sure if it can be used on hot water. They do have an 800 number to call.

Comment

I install a lot of water softeners here in my area (two this week so far) and our hardness averages about 29 grains per gallon. It completely destroys faucets and dishwashers!
                              There is nothing out there that will soften water like a traditional water softener, I also agree everything else is a scam. I know, I've tried some of them, never again either.

I use a company called Northstar, their plant is in Woodbury Minnesota. They make the Northstar contractor models that can't be purchased at your big box stores. They also manufacture models for GE, Whirlpool, Morton and a host of other retail brands.
                              When did we get the moose icon? I Like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X