X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil Leak in Gulf of Mexico

As this thread seems to be more technically minded and your statement is more political I'm going to respond in the other thread.

Comment

Wow! Those images at angelpub.com look very, very much like the animation I saw the other night. The unmanned submersible was not much bigger than the well-head.
      Mike Holmes is not the person I would send out to do any repairs, plugging, or anything on this disastrous, leaking well-head. I remember seeing one of his shows where he would not even go out in the rain.
      Send "Lunchbox"!
      From the TV show "Deep Sea Salvage". He da' man. David

Comment

i'm a free lunch con

servative. i don't want to pay any taxes. i wont it free. no taxes just give it all to me. i'm not a tea bagger, but i would tea bag one if i could. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by Western Reserve View Post
          I heard Obama's address. He really IS a great president. And no, he wasn't "spouting off." He was sending the message to ALL corporations that, unlike under the administrations of Oil Men Bush I and Bush II, there will be accountability. BP is on the hook for the full cost. Could put them out of business. Is this merely another opportunity to hate our (black) president, I ask?

"Government is the police officers who are here protecting us and the service men and women who are defending us abroad. Government is the roads you drove in on and the speed limits that kept you safe. Government is what ensures that mines adhere to safety standards and that oil spills are cleaned up by the companies that caused them." PRESIDENT Obama

(Let the flaming begin. I can take it.)
          Please explain why he "IS" a great president

-- Facts please

Why are you attempting to make this a racial issue?

--Facts please

So If I read you correctly all that is well and good with the government is due to the current president?

--Facts please
          Last edited by OkieBill; 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

He was democratically elected, which is the American way. (A recent president was "elected" by the Supreme Court.) His job is basically two-fold: His is the highest executive office in the land, some would say in the world. And, he has an administration. So, he executes on behalf of the citizens, and he (through his cabinet) administers. To date, I believe he has done both those things with intelligence, bravery and at least an attempt at consensus.

I ask this: if my company were really huge, and I had to hire an executive, who would that be? Okay, someone smart. Someone with tact and poise. Someone charismatic. Someone with a stellar education, a history of cooperation, and a passion for his job. Someone who won't take six weeks off to clear brush on his ranch. No matter who sits in the White House, he/she deserves the respect due that high office. While I have disagreed with many presidential acts, I steadfastly maintain respect for the office, for the voting process, and for democracy. The Facebook folk who are praying for the death of Obama would do well to learn the definition of TREASON: "The offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign."

I didn't disagree with everything George W. Bush did, nor do I agree with everything Obama has done, or is doing. We need all the help we can get in the world, and I do believe Obama is working on the behalf of all Americans, not just the ones with the largest campaign checks, or the biggest defense contracts. Is he perfect? Is he doing a perfect job? No way. But I do feel that my government is at least accountable, now. Vice President Cheney held meetings with oil company executives that were secret. We may never know the full extent of this "shadow government."

Here's how, in my mind, it becomes a racial issue: If you disagree with someone, that's fine. That's human. See the good, see the bad, weigh everything according to your world view. Okay. But if you are in disagreement with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING someone says, does, thinks and believes, that comes from another place, a deeper place. Perhaps it isn't that Obama is our first Black president. I pray it isn't. I wasn't making it a racial issue, that's why I wrote "black" parenthetically. Do you really believe that NO ONE in the USA is upset that we now have a black man as our president?

The last of your questions: I had quoted from Obama's speech in Michigan. That was the quote that a previous poster had called "spouting off." I was just clarifying that it was a reasoned, intelligent statement. In light of the on-going oil volcano, he is absolutely right to hold BP's feet to the fire.

My family came here on the Mayflower. I don't think that means I'm any different, as a citizen, from someone who arrived here, legally, last week. It just means that I'm an old coot, and perhaps should be sent to bed early, without a snack.
            Last edited by Western Reserve; 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: correct for spelling, and for spouting off

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Keep in mind,You may have 100 tons of platform and pipe on
              the ocean floor in Your way! I have no idea, Myself.
              Exactly... There is a mile worth of crumpled pipes piled up over the valves i believe. Not a fun situation.

Josh

Comment

Here's how, in my mind, it becomes a racial issue: If you disagree with someone, that's fine. That's human. See the good, see the bad, weigh everything according to your world view. Okay. But if you are in disagreement with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING someone says, does, thinks and believes, that comes from another place, a deeper place. Perhaps it isn't that Obama is our first Black president. I pray it isn't. I wasn't making it a racial issue, that's why I wrote "black" parenthetically. Do you really believe that NO ONE in the USA is upset that we now have a black man as our president?
                I agree Obama has a great personality and is a brilliant speaker but as has been pointed out before words have meanings. I think the final blow for Obama and I was when he signed the Health Care Bill knowing the majority was against it and excused away the fact by telling us we would learn to like it. I see Obama as a Junior Senator who is not ready for Prime Time.

I am in disagreement with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING Pelosi, Reid and now Obama say, why does that have to be racial and not a philosophical difference in the way we think?

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I heard Obama's address. He really IS a great president. And no, he wasn't "spouting off." He was sending the message to ALL corporations that, unlike under the administrations of Oil Men Bush I and Bush II, there will be accountability. BP is on the hook for the full cost. Could put them out of business. Is this merely another opportunity to hate our (black) president, I ask?

"Government is the police officers who are here protecting us and the service men and women who are defending us abroad. Government is the roads you drove in on and the speed limits that kept you safe. Government is what ensures that mines adhere to safety standards and that oil spills are cleaned up by the companies that caused them." PRESIDENT Obama

(Let the flaming begin. I can take it.)
                  What's important, is not what a Man says ,
                  Judge by His actions, only ! He Is a miserable failure,in My book
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I agree Obama has a great personality and is a brilliant speaker but as has been pointed out before words have meanings. I think the final blow for Obama and I was when he signed the Health Care Bill knowing the majority was against it and excused away the fact by telling us we would learn to like it. I see Obama as a Junior Senator who is not ready for Prime Time.

I am in disagreement with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING Pelosi, Reid and now Obama say, why does that have to be racial and not a philosophical difference in the way we think?

Mark
                    I agree 100% Another Jim Jones, with mindless sheep in tow! KOOL AID
                    ON THE MENUS !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A philosophical difference I completely understand, and know. To discard EVERYTHING that someone says is not mere philosophy, it is ignorance. You are choosing to ignore any further ideas from that person. Obama, for example, opened up the Eastern Seaboard to further oil exploration. I disagree with that. You must disagree with that, too, as you disagree with EVERYTHING he says. Obama increased the fighting force in Afghanistan by 30,000 troops in the Surge. You must disagree with that, too, as it came from Obama.

I happen to think that Sarah Palin is unfit for public office, as she is a mindless, soul-less opportunist who quit her elected position mid-term to cash in on television and public speaking. I still don't disagree with everything she says, does or writes. Who knows? Some day she may say something that makes sense.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Comment

A philosophical difference I completely understand, and know. To discard EVERYTHING that someone says is not mere philosophy, it is ignorance. You are choosing to ignore any further ideas from that person. Obama, for example, opened up the Eastern Seaboard to further oil exploration. I disagree with that. You must disagree with that, too, as you disagree with EVERYTHING he says. Obama increased the fighting force in Afghanistan by 30,000 troops in the Surge. You must disagree with that, too, as it came from Obama.

I happen to think that Sarah Palin is unfit for public office, as she is a mindless, soul-less opportunist who quit her elected position mid-term to cash in on television and public speaking. I still don't disagree with everything she says, does or writes. Who knows? Some day she may say something that makes sense.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine
                        There are some things which Obama has done I have approved of but for the most part I feel he has done more harm then good.

I'm no fan of Palin but Obama is almost like Jimmy Carter on steroids. However, that should not be the comparison. The comparison should be Obama v. McCain and Biden v. Palin. The people voted and elected Obama & Biden so that is who will lead for the next 2.5 + years.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
                          I'm certainly no expert in this area, but have done some internet searches for info on how/what they do once they have the hole drilled. According to an article I read Wednesday, there is a "valve head" on the ocean floor which has six (6) valves on it, in some configuration. This is normal practice for this type of off-shore drilling anywhere in the world. Remember that this valve head is something over 5000+ feet down. The article did not state the sizing of the pipe nor valves, but I'm betting they are big, really big. The submersible submarine they sent down Tuesday night was to try and close the valve(s) to stop the flow of oil and gases escaping from this drill hole. The submersible could not turn the valve(s), they were either stuck or the submersible did not have enough power to do this, but was supposed to have more than enough strength. Darn--if the "Duke" was still around, he could do another Red Adair movie and shut it down. I do hope they find a solution soon. I also pray for the families of both the survivors and the missing rig workers. My cousins son worked on these rigs for a few years before getting a land based refinery job. David
                          I tell people all the time that if you don't exercise valves they will not work in an emergency when you need them. ESPECIALLY in commercial situations.

Some information on what's going on there: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/sto...eak/index.html

11 people dead. RIP.

J.C.

Comment

IT SURE WOULD HAVE BEEN EASYER TO HAVE A SHUT OFF VALVE ON THE OCEAN FLOOR
                            Even a dolphin could have turned it off

Comment

I have read that the situation is different with this leak, as the pressure they've encountered is unprecedented, and unanticipated. For me, the situation reminds me of talking with apprentices over the years: "When you solder, have a fire extinguisher at hand. You probably WON'T start a fire, but if you do..." Or, "Do you know where the main shut-off valve is, and if it works, before you start cutting into a branch line whose old, crusty gate valve may not actually be off?"

Comment

Working...
                              X