Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak in Gulf of Mexico

To Whom This May Concern:

The oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico is shortly going to become one of the worst environmental disasters in the world! I believe that the Ridgid Tool Company has the technology that can cap these pipes.

I am a plumber of 40years, and have used a Ridgid 300 for many of those. Never has a pipe slipped once the jaw was closed. I believe that if you modify the jaw to close using a hydraulic or pneumatic system and ask the Victolic Company to modify a fitting called a Roustabout, to fit either in the jaw or on its end, I know you would be able to make a device to slide over the leaky pipes and close them tight.

Right now there are only a few solutions and none of them are any good, or they will take too long. I am certain that Ridgid has the technology to fix this problem and fix it quickly, using your locking jaw technology.

Sincerely,
    Dino Giannunzio

Re: Oil Leak in Gulf of Mexico

This is clearly a job for Sharkbites!

Comment

I cant believe they don't have a valve down there in the first place
      Dont they know this would happen one day

Send Rick down there with a modified pro press ...He can tie all his jetter hoses together for air...he will need a splitter for the cameraman

Comment

I'm certainly no expert in this area, but have done some internet searches for info on how/what they do once they have the hole drilled. According to an article I read Wednesday, there is a "valve head" on the ocean floor which has six (6) valves on it, in some configuration. This is normal practice for this type of off-shore drilling anywhere in the world. Remember that this valve head is something over 5000+ feet down. The article did not state the sizing of the pipe nor valves, but I'm betting they are big, really big. The submersible submarine they sent down Tuesday night was to try and close the valve(s) to stop the flow of oil and gases escaping from this drill hole. The submersible could not turn the valve(s), they were either stuck or the submersible did not have enough power to do this, but was supposed to have more than enough strength. Darn--if the "Duke" was still around, he could do another Red Adair movie and shut it down. I do hope they find a solution soon. I also pray for the families of both the survivors and the missing rig workers. My cousins son worked on these rigs for a few years before getting a land based refinery job. David

Comment

For a first-time post Dino, that was pretty great!

Yeah, who knew that an emergency shut-off valve would come in handy? I heard on the radio that BP didn't take out the emergency insurance policy, so they're on the hook for the whole cost of the clean-up, the military, the bird-scrubbers, the lawsuits... This really makes the off-shore windfarms look pretty sweet!

I don't live anywhere near the ocean, but I did for a long time. I really have to question the decision to extend off-shore drilling up the Eastern Seaboard. If there's a safety or environmental shortcut, someone will take it. Human nature.

Comment

We're all ****** royally in this disaster.

Here's what to expect:

$4-$15 a gallon gas prices

Cost increases as shipments of products won't be able to enter these waters for some time.

Before this accident even happened, they said gas prices would go up this year.

Seafood? Buy now, because the price of those items is going to be atrocious in the next month, as this disaster is a slow one and the ripple effect will instantly tell the tale.

This oil spill will make it in the history books for sure, when they are stating a "correct" way to shut it down will take 3-6 months.

Contamination will find its way into our food source because the starving companies who live off these professions will find ways to use some type of product to clean..and it won't work.

Somehow, someway, someone will try to blame Bush for this.

This is the second time in 5 years Lousiana has been hit with tragedy.

This is horrible.

But then again, there will be a movie made, and this will inform you that once again, we are ALL going to pay for this in the long run.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

spot on dunbar

Comment

Sounds to me like they should have some kind of valve at the base of that pipe line that is normally closed, & must be opened somehow, when they want oil to flow. But who knows, the whole valve & piping, may have blown out of the ocean floor. Like Dunbar said, now this will raise prices on everything. Don't you wish, that if any of us had a little mishap, that we could just raise our prices, to make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DGiannunzio View Post

The oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico is shortly going to become one of the worst environmental disasters in the world! I believe that the Ridgid Tool Company has the technology that can cap these pipes.

I am a plumber of 40years, and have used a Ridgid 300 for many of those. Never has a pipe slipped once the jaw was closed. I believe that if you modify the jaw to close using a hydraulic or pneumatic system and ask the Victolic Company to modify a fitting called a Roustabout, to fit either in the jaw or on its end, I know you would be able to make a device to slide over the leaky pipes and close them tight.

Right now there are only a few solutions and none of them are any good, or they will take too long. I am certain that Ridgid has the technology to fix this problem and fix it quickly, using your locking jaw technology.

Sincerely,
                  Dino Giannunzio
                  Keep in mind,You may have 100 tons of platform and pipe on
                  the ocean floor in Your way! I have no idea, Myself.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey let's call Mike Holmes, he could fix it. He would stop the leaking, clean up the mess, build a new and better platform with more living space. All with in a 30 minute episode.

Or Rick with his propress would work too.
                    But I agree that this is clearly a job for Sharkbite fittings
                    If they had only used Wirsbo...
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Is there some way a K-60 would fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by DGiannunzio View Post

Sincerely,
                        Dino Giannunzio
                        Guess You didn't know the pipe size! IT'S 10 FT. IN DIA. !!!!!!
                        WE ARE SCREWED !!!!!!!!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Guess You didn't know the pipe size! IT'S 10 FT. IN DIA. !!!!!!
                          WE ARE SCREWED !!!!!!!!
                          Don't they make a 10ft shark bite?

Then our great president, was spouting off at university of Michigan yesterday that he will make company responsible for this, to pay. Well all they are going to do is raise their prices. Then who really pays Mr President?

Comment

Is it actually 10 feet in diameter? I haven't seen any info of that so its hard to get an idea of scale of these things.

210,000 gallons per day would be 146 gallons a minute. If we were talking water that could be as small as a 3inch pipe. I have no idea how sweet crude at over 2000psi would work out though. I assume the pipe is freaking big considering the size of the valves they are talking about.

This is a pic of a typical blow out valve made by Cameron the company that made the valve in question.

http://images.angelpub.com/2009/20/2...09-image-2.jpg

Probably about 30 feet tall and weighs 450 tons.

This is some info on blow out valves I found:
                            http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/files/OGL99008.gif

Shear Rams: shear ram
                            A blowout preventer (BOP) closing element fitted with hardened tool steel blades designed to cut the drillpipe when the BOP is closed. A shear ram is normally used as a last resort to regain pressure control of a well that is flowing. Once the drillpipe is cut (or sheared) by the shear rams, it is usually left hanging in the BOP stack, and kill operations become more difficult. The joint of drillpipe is destroyed in the process, but the rest of the drillstring is unharmed by the operation of shear rams.

Shear-seal BOP (Blind Ram)
                            An item of pressure-control equipment often fitted to the wellhead during well-intervention operations on live wells. Most commonly associated with coiled tubing operations, the shear-seal BOP is a ram-type preventer that performs the dual functions of shearing or cutting the tubing string and then fully closing to provide isolation or sealing of the wellbore. Shear-seal BOPs are most commonly used in offshore or high-pressure applications where an additional contingency pressure barrier is required.

Annular blowout preventer:
                            A large valve used to control wellbore fluids. In this type of valve, the sealing element resembles a large rubber doughnut that is mechanically squeezed inward to seal on either pipe (drill collar, drillpipe, casing, or tubing) or the openhole. The ability to seal on a variety of pipe sizes is one advantage the annular blowout preventer has over the ram blowout preventer. Most blowout preventer (BOP) stacks contain at least one annular BOP at the top of the BOP stack, and one or more ram-type preventers below. While not considered as reliable in sealing over the openhole as around tubulars, the elastomeric sealing doughnut is required by API specifications to seal adequately over the openhole as part of its certification process.

More oilfield drilling definitions: http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com

Cameron is the company that makes BOPs:
                            BOPs on the Deep Horizon well-
                            BOP 2 x Cameron Type TL 18¾in 15K double preventers;
                            1 x Cameron Type TL 18¾in 15K single preventer;
                            1 x Cameron DWHC 18¾in 15K wellhead connector
                            http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Deepwater-Horizon-56C1...

Cameron site: http://www.c-a-m.com/index.cfm#
                            I think we should stuff the end with a giant wad of bubble gum and use some duct tape to hold it in. The high tech solutions aren't working. Time for some redneck ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                              Don't they make a 10ft shark bite?

Then our great president, was spouting off at university of Michigan yesterday that he will make company responsible for this, to pay. Well all they are going to do is raise their prices. Then who really pays Mr President?
                              I heard Obama's address. He really IS a great president. And no, he wasn't "spouting off." He was sending the message to ALL corporations that, unlike under the administrations of Oil Men Bush I and Bush II, there will be accountability. BP is on the hook for the full cost. Could put them out of business. Is this merely another opportunity to hate our (black) president, I ask?

"Government is the police officers who are here protecting us and the service men and women who are defending us abroad. Government is the roads you drove in on and the speed limits that kept you safe. Government is what ensures that mines adhere to safety standards and that oil spills are cleaned up by the companies that caused them." PRESIDENT Obama

(Let the flaming begin. I can take it.)

Comment

Working...
                              X