X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing plastic pipe from fittings.

Sometimes you can't just cut out a fitting, you have to remove the pipe that's been glued into the fitting. If the fitting breaks you're in deep doo doo.

I have found that removing a pipe that's long been glued into PVC or ABS sch 40 fittings is risky because the plastic becomes more brittle with the passage of time.

The wholesale house sells these relatively cheap "drill bits" that are designed to remove the pipe from fittings. I've never had one actually work. They start spinning on their own shaft and their toast. Or they go off on a tangent and destroy the fitting.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a set of bits designed to remove the pipe from fittings manufactured by Wheeler Rex. The set from 1-1/2 to 4", with case and an extension cost ~ $269. (Steep, but I bought a different set of Wheeler internal cutters decades ago and have never been sorry) So I bit the bullet. Today I got to use one for the 1st time. Result? Big Thumbs Up!!

I used a Milwaukee Hole Hawg on high speed on a 3" PVC fitting where the previous plumber had installed a 3" combo backwards in a waste line. (And the plumbing inspector approved it!!!) Aye Carumba!

The bit worked quickly. There's a substantial guide so it's hard to go wrong. The only bugaboo is the bit removes the slight taper in the fitting so the new pipe fits slightly loose. I use a heavy body cement and gave it ten minutes to set up before I installed the next fitting. No leak.

I could have cut this fitting out but wanted to test the drill bits to practice.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Removing plastic pipe from fittings.

geno, i have 2 sets of these and the great thing is the carbide inserts have 4 cutting edges. so they can be rotated when dulled.

the cheap pasco bits are good for 1 use and get real hot.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Seems like an easy design fix to angle the cutting blades to make the needed taper. I've used these before but never thought about the taper till you mentioned it, I've always just glued waited then fitted like you did. I don't have one so I can't check my self, can you loosen the screws and tilt the blades to make the taper?

I always thought it just reemed it a bit bigger given the slight wobble and misc angles while drilling.
      Last edited by DZ Plumb; 05-01-2010, 01:29 AM.

Comment

I have a set and love them. They have saved me big headaches several times. I want to buy the Wheeler internal cutter to complete the package. I am always on the lookout for great specialty tools and this is one of them.

Comment

I have a set from PlumBest.

These ones look alot nicer.

I notice the same issue with the socket being oversized, but it hasn't been a major issue as long as I plan accordingly.

Occasionally, the reglued fitting has leaked (about 3-4 out of 30+).
          I haven't been able to determine what the cause was, but overall it's a great tool.

Comment

$269? ouch!

Looks like a quality tool compared to the cheapos sold at the plumbing supply places.

A good heat gun and few minutes will accomplish the same result

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Sometimes you can't just cut out a fitting, you have to remove the pipe that's been glued into the fitting. If the fitting breaks you're in deep doo doo.

I have found that removing a pipe that's long been glued into PVC or ABS sch 40 fittings is risky because the plastic becomes more brittle with the passage of time.

The wholesale house sells these relatively cheap "drill bits" that are designed to remove the pipe from fittings. I've never had one actually work. They start spinning on their own shaft and their toast. Or they go off on a tangent and destroy the fitting.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a set of bits designed to remove the pipe from fittings manufactured by Wheeler Rex. The set from 1-1/2 to 4", with case and an extension cost ~ $269. (Steep, but I bought a different set of Wheeler internal cutters decades ago and have never been sorry) So I bit the bullet. Today I got to use one for the 1st time. Result? Big Thumbs Up!!

I used a Milwaukee Hole Hawg on high speed on a 3" PVC fitting where the previous plumber had installed a 3" combo backwards in a waste line. (And the plumbing inspector approved it!!!) Aye Carumba!

The bit worked quickly. There's a substantial guide so it's hard to go wrong. The only bugaboo is the bit removes the slight taper in the fitting so the new pipe fits slightly loose. I use a heavy body cement and gave it ten minutes to set up before I installed the next fitting. No leak.

I could have cut this fitting out but wanted to test the drill bits to practice.
              Interesting tool never seen one before could you give me a link to Milwaukee and the tool to see one.
              How does the cutter centre inself for cutting out the old pipe as it would be uncontrollable while cutting.

Tony

Comment

http://www.wheelerrex.com/catalog/Wh...Catalog_37.htm

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-01-2010, 10:02 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  Interesting tool never seen one before could you give me a link to Milwaukee and the tool to see one.
                  How does the cutter centre inself for cutting out the old pipe as it would be uncontrollable while cutting.

Tony
                  Hi Tony,

The narrow part of the bit acts as a guide because it's just slighly smaller in diameter than the sch 40 pipe glued in the socket. The carbide blades (really just small squares) are the thickness of the pipe wall. So it was hard to go off track. That fitting was well above my head and I was drilling kind of blind. But that centering guide did the job.

I'm pleased as punch with it. I haven't tried it with a slow speed drill yet, but if these bits are like the internal pipe cutters (both carbide) then I think using the high speed drill is very helpful to the quality of the cut.

Rick, do you have the internal cutters too? I just bought a new cutting blade for my two inch internal pipe cutter which I've been using for about 20 years or so. (Most used size since I use it for shower drains)
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Love this tool so much I bought the 1/2"-1" set also. May not need it very often but when you need it a lot of weeping and nashing of teeth can be avoided

wookie

Comment

had mine for a couple years and it was well worh 300 dollars.has anybody used the extenion?

Comment

Just bought one one Ebay-$210.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X