Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody done the lead base paint 8hr class yet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody done the lead base paint 8hr class yet?

Anybody finished the 8hr class yet for the EPA on lead base paint? I got a notice from my biggest customer that I need it done to be a vendor for them as of May 1st 2010. I looked online found $250 per person was the fee in Seattle. It sounds like all my guys need to have this not just me? And we need to buy some new vacs for clean up when we open a wall? Any thing I need to know to save the company money?
    Thanks!
    Bryce
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Anybody done the lead base paint 8hr class yet?

I will be looking in to this too I was told by the installed sales manager at lowe's that I will need to have this. It wonder how much this will slow down jobs for me to comply with the new rules

Comment

Slow you down? How slow would you be when hit with a $35,000 fine? With the government looking for new... uh... "revenue streams," enforcement of this EPA program could prove a real money-maker for the feds.

I agree that lead-based paint is bad, but this program, especially for plumbers, seems to be overkill. I think my approach will be, "Is your house 1978 or older? Call me when the 'paint pros' are done, so I can fix your plumbing."

Comment

i'm on to the 1978 or older stuff. what happens if it is open when i get there? i do very little tear out work. maybe none now. idk. breid................

Comment

I will bill out higher for the lead base paint homes, for the extra thick plastic, the special approved vac, the shielding to block off the work area,the respirator. and the time to do this. I think if there are kids in the home it will make a big difference on if you get a fine or not. And as I set up the time to take the class into my schedule I will start doing the above items in case I get caught on some news TV show sting lol.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

"Cuda Busted" on the five o'clock news haha! I know what you mean man this thing has me worried I will lose work people don't want permits you know and now their going to go for paying for more set up time and fu43 plastic to zip out a section of wall to cut out a pice of galv. drain come one you now guys are going to be going around doing this with out following it and till they get caught we will loose work

Comment

if any one pays attention to this reg it will be licenses. why would unlicensed? they are all ready illegal. do we need to be epa licensed to do work if wall is open when we get there? breid..................

Comment

I wonder if a plumbing company needs to pay the lead abatement fees set up for the state registration. On top of the $250 for the class, it is $300 a year in Ohio to register a company as lead certified, and you have to have a lead abatement supervisor on staff, that class is 40 hours and $895. I wonder if this applies only to the painting companies, or anyone who would do a repair.

Comment

Well the wife found me a FREE class ! It is set for june 30th . Did you know the fine is $35,000.00 for not following these rules! Government run health care sure we can pay for it at $35,000 a hit no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                    Well the wife found me a FREE class ! It is set for june 30th . Did you know the fine is $35,000.00 for not following these rules! Government run health care sure we can pay for it at $35,000 a hit no problem
                    A free class thats a huge score I have not seen any around seattle less than 250. but there is still the 300. to the EPA to register the company that bugs me more than paying for the class.
                    Cheers
                    DCT Siding

Comment

And who gets the money Rock ? Some times when I buy a pack of smokes I kid with the cashier and say "well some one has to pay for SCHIP"

Comment

Working...
                      X