Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless water heater installation with propress

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
    I do a lot of huge multi million dollar homes and most owners do care about energy efficiencies that have other huge homes that cost them a lot to keep. I am sure that is why they put in the tankless because of how green and responsible it is.
    I agree with you that a lot of folks care, or want to play the role of being green. I've found that most people who have the need for unlimited hot water tend to use more, and actually end up using more energy with the tankless vs the tank type. The "green" part sort of flies out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      I agree with you that a lot of folks care, or want to play the role of being green. I've found that most people who have the need for unlimited hot water tend to use more, and actually end up using more energy with the tankless vs the tank type. The "green" part sort of flies out the window.
      Yeah it is hard to be green with 10 shower heads, 15kw steamer and a hot tub in you bathroom. It makes them feel better wasting all that energy and water with a tankless, but I love it.

Comment

being in so calif. i doubt they will ever need all 3 running at full flow. unless they all like to take showers and baths at the same time.

a 100 gallon 199,000 btu heater will supply enough water for a 12 unit apartment building. plus it has 1.5'' in and out.

i have a customer with a 23 unit that's 15 years old and has never serviced it i've already advised them the change it before it does go out in an emergency.

there are tank heaters that are .89 efficient that will save just as much.

not sure a circ line will add to much savings as technically the heater will come on to keep the water hot.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          In a restaurant it does save tons of money. I have a place that had a 500K AO Smith Berkay boiler with a 180 Gal storage tank. When the switched to 5 250K tankless water heaters they saved over 600 a month on their gas bill.
          I agree these tankless are great for alot of commercial installs. But I still can't see installing them in residential.

Comment

Ok...great looking job!!! That being said...you have failed inspection! When you put the recirc. in, you created a sealed sytem with 750,000BTU potential. You must size and install an A.S.M.E rated expansion tank. I do not suggest using galvy pipe inside a building for gas. The zinc coating has a lower melting point and may be an issue in a fire law suit. The first one your inspector should have caught.

Comment

nope
              All I use is gal for gas.And I'm inspected by what I consider one of the toughest jurisdictions in the nation,L.A. City.

Others have dirty gas that causes gal to flake.

And I don't want to hear others say you can't tell it from water.If one cannot tell what he's cutting get out of the trade and start a gardening business,I wouldn't trust you with a paint brush

Welcome to the forum
              Kevin Jones

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                nope
                All I use is gal for gas.And I'm inspected by what I consider one of the toughest jurisdictions in the nation,L.A. City.

Others have dirty gas that causes gal to flake.

And I don't want to hear others say you can't tell it from water.If one cannot tell what he's cutting get out of the trade and start a gardening business,I wouldn't trust you with a paint brush

Welcome to the forum
                Kevin Jones

Adam
                You mean that little square thing at the front of water heater, with "Hot", & "Very Hot" written on it, & piped in with galvy, is not water

It's so hilarious that you say this, cuz this guy that worked for me for 5 yrs, 1st day on the job, cut the gas line, instead of the water line. And of course, according to him anyway, he never heard the end of it.
                But that day, I assumed he had experience cuz thats what he told me, I took him down this basement, & explained in detail, that all the gas & water is galv., so take your time, & make sure you don't cut the gas line. We were doing a water pipe job. Well you know the rest of the story, but the funniest part, atleast now, is that he cut the gas line, on the very first cut. I don't think it was 2 minutes after I warned him, that I started smelling gas.
                I'm so glad I work alone now!

Comment

Glad it all works for you. Florida, the other toughest codes in the land would never pass. Colorado, the land of huh? would not pass either. They're happy, your happy, beautiful job!

Comment

Has PP NG been approved in California?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

pp ng? penicillinase-producing neisseria gonorrhea? yes it has. breid................

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Has PP NG been approved in California?

Thanks.

J.C.
                        Another plumber working in the same highrise that Utah and I were in(different times,projects and capacities) stated very clearly that his submittal with our gas purveyor's(Arizona something or other) gas's contents was approved.
                        L.A. City was looking to see if it was safe for copper.

I'm going to advise against it if I ever run into someone endorsing it.
                        Too much risk with fire melting an o-rings.
                        Can you imagine.

Thoughts,opinions..Anyone......Anyone

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Another plumber working in the same highrise that Utah and I were in(different times,projects and capacities) stated very clearly that his submittal with our gas purveyor's(Arizona something or other) gas's contents was approved.
                          L.A. City was looking to see if it was safe for copper.

I'm going to advise against it if I ever run into someone endorsing it.
                          Too much risk with fire melting an o-rings.
                          Can you imagine.

Thoughts,opinions..Anyone......Anyone
                          Well, my opinion is that nothing has shown to be better for durability and safety than black or galvanized steel.

It's not perfect (no system is) but can seem to handle more scenarios better where damage can occur to it as opposed to other methods.

I am aware of the advantage of flexibility for some situations.

As the Press gains approval though, threading is OVER on the installation side.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Well, my opinion is that nothing has shown to be better for durability and safety than black or galvanized steel.

It's not perfect (no system is) but can seem to handle more scenarios better where damage can occur to it as opposed to other methods.

I am aware of the advantage of flexibility for some situations.

As the Press gains approval though, threading is OVER on the installation side.

J.C.
                            Even though I know what you say is true,it still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Comment

Just wonder how code in 1 jurisdiction could say that galv. piping is not allowed for NG, because zinc coating could melt in a fire, faster than black pipe. Then another is actually thinking about possibly allowing PP copper. I fail to see any logic.
                              I wonder if the community that doesn't allow galv., would allow copper, or CSST. Seems to me that those would burn up at lower temp. than galv., no?
                              Last edited by Don the plumber; 05-17-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

The melting point of black iron is about 2800F, copper 1980F, Stainless steel is roughly 2550F or better depending on the blend, and the weakest link is zinc 780F. We can run upto 12" inside a building in galvy to make a stub-out only. Black iron doesn't hold up very long in the salt air so all galvy all outside. Their arguement is that a piece of defective pipe can be made solid by the zinc dipping and then fail in a minimal fire causing an exponential increase of damage. Copper flares are still approved but its use is limited.

Comment

Working...
                                X