X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless water heater installation with propress

Tankless water heater installation in a 6 bathroom home. Inspection passed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9211bc65138853d389f8e8fc7b5f4691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	10771

Name:	34c0bb66bb1fd19fe6995cdb9d3bf33e.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	10772

Name:	8e6a29243ffbeff24132410f6ff7294f.jpg
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	10773
    sigpic

Robert

Re: Tankless water heater installation with propress

Man that's alot of BTU's.

J.C.

Comment

nice work man. love the hard piping of the gas with bullheaded drips off the trunk i cant really tell but it looks like that horizontal gas is being supported by the units.. also i'm curious where is the condensate discharging. i dont install many rinnai's and i curious about the recirculation back into the unit..? once again nice clean professional job props

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
        nice work man. love the hard piping of the gas with bullheaded drips off the trunk i cant really tell but it looks like that horizontal gas is being supported by the units.. also i'm curious where is the condensate discharging. i dont install many rinnai's and i curious about the recirculation back into the unit..? once again nice clean professional job props

The gas is supported on the verticle right before it 90's over to the units.

Condensate, inspector let me tie all 3 toghether and go to a gravel pit i dug in the flower bed on the opposite wall

recirc is tieing back into the cold with a check valve, used a metlund on demand system. check on the cold, check inside the pump, and another before the pump, 250 rated, lots of problems with cheap checks and cross connections, had to go back on a lot of repairs from other co's.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

looks cool

Comment

Good looking install,but I have a couple of questions..I thought that you had to install a buffer tank of some kind on a tankless install with a recirc system. My second question is tha rinnia install book shows the recirc line to tie back to the hot side on the unit, why did you go back to the cold???I am not saying your are wrong I just want your point of view.

Comment

recir back to the hot would only last for 15-30 minutes until the water cooled down or insulation was lacking.

that would work if you had a buffer tank, especially an electric heater buffer tank. no buffer electric tank, you need to go back to the cold to reheat the loop.

what i would be more concerned with is the gas but/ therm load. 750,000 btu's plus all the other appliances could be an issue.

i had a nat. gas generator that i had to hook up. the electrician was the general and i had them deal with the gas company. i was also in the loop as i sized it all and warned them about the demand. fortunately i had all the emails that were sent and cc to all parties.

6 months later as the owner moved in. the gas company couldn't supply enough btu's to the house. they wanted $50,000 to bring a new main in from the road and up to the house over 300' away.

since i was the only one with plumbing knowledge and the electricians project superintendent was no longer part of the company. i handled the problem and reviewed all my emails. of course i found the 1 that saved the owner and electrician the $50k. the gas company ate it as i had it all in writing from them and the field planner from more than 6 months earlier.

a typical gas meter is for residential is either a 200 cfh no pool or 400 cfh with pool.

this particular house already had a 3'' line off the meter.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Install looks good West Coast ! I have heard of this in Harford county I remember working on a water service replacement and the inspector came walking down to check out my work and was complaining about guys not checking the gas service size and just throwing in tankless heaters and to find out later the gas company could not get enough gas out to the home
                Do you guys out on the West Coast see any increase in Solar water heaters being installed? Is that not a better system as far as savings goes ?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  recir back to the hot would only last for 15-30 minutes until the water cooled down or insulation was lacking.

that would work if you had a buffer tank, especially an electric heater buffer tank. no buffer electric tank, you need to go back to the cold to reheat the loop.

what i would be more concerned with is the gas but/ therm load. 750,000 btu's plus all the other appliances could be an issue.

i had a nat. gas generator that i had to hook up. the electrician was the general and i had them deal with the gas company. i was also in the loop as i sized it all and warned them about the demand. fortunately i had all the emails that were sent and cc to all parties.

6 months later as the owner moved in. the gas company couldn't supply enough btu's to the house. they wanted $50,000 to bring a new main in from the road and up to the house over 300' away.

since i was the only one with plumbing knowledge and the electricians project superintendent was no longer part of the company. i handled the problem and reviewed all my emails. of course i found the 1 that saved the owner and electrician the $50k. the gas company ate it as i had it all in writing from them and the field planner from more than 6 months earlier.

a typical gas meter is for residential is either a 200 cfh no pool or 400 cfh with pool.

this particular house already had a 3'' line off the meter.

rick.
                  We almost always have to upgrade gas meter, when installing a generator. Never thought about that on the on demand heaters. Very good observation Rick, cuz that is alot of BTU's if they ever all fire up an one time. But I can't imagine that happening very often. I'd like to hear if they sized gas meter or not. But everything else there looks professional.

Comment

There is no way 750k BTUs of on demand hot water is saving any money over any tank type. The install looks great though. I belive a Polaris or Vertex would be more economical (or even two), but not as fashonable. But until this fad ends... CHER CHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                      There is no way 750k BTUs of on demand hot water is saving any money over any tank type. The install looks great though. I belive a Polaris or Vertex would be more economical (or even two), but not as fashonable. But until this fad ends... CHER CHING!
                      It's a 6 bathroom home, I doubt they're worried about saving money or energy efficiencies. I'm sure it's more about having an unlimited amount of hot water for all their hot tubs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        It's a 6 bathroom home, I doubt they're worried about saving money or energy efficiencies. I'm sure it's more about having an unlimited amount of hot water for all their hot tubs and such.
                        I do a lot of huge multi million dollar homes and most owners do care about energy efficiencies that have other huge homes that cost them a lot to keep. I am sure that is why they put in the tankless because of how green and responsible it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                          In a restaurant it does save tons of money. I have a place that had a 500K AO Smith Berkay boiler with a 180 Gal storage tank. When the switched to 5 250K tankless water heaters they saved over 600 a month on their gas bill.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

It looks good but I personally would have put a support on the right side of the gas header....whether it passed inspection already or not.

Comment

Sweet install. How long did it take you.

Comment

Working...
                              X