X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: your companies tool policy?

No union here ever. Different shops have different policies.

I think towards age & experience.

20 years old and little experience. Don't expect them to have any tools at all.

30 years old and good experience. Tools expected to be owned and a desire to use them. I would be that way.

J.C.

Comment

I've tried using company tools before...they were wore out and mostly junk.Even was given a skill saw that you had to plug in out to work it.
      I spend a very large percentage of my income on good tools.
      1. I feel I'm more valuable as a employee
      2.So much easier when you have the proper tool
      Bad thing is everyone comes to me to borrow tools...hate that
      Today I won a magdrill on ebay for 300.00.This is a tool the company should have but doesn't.
      My boss knows how I am and often throws me a very nice bonus.
      Last edited by IamVince; 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

i`m union. we can pullout and work wherever, they dont care as long as they get their dues.

we do have a tool list, its about 400$ just hand tools no power tools

Comment

Non-union

Depends on your expierience. Helpers need a tape measure, pencil and several sizes of Channelocks and better know how and when to use them.

Lifetime mechanic should have everything except large sewer machine and bench threader. These will be supplied by the company as needed.

If you break a tool on the job, the company will purchase you a new one or have that one repaired.

I have a hard and fast rule about sharing: NO ONE BORROWS MY TOOLS...EVER!

Comment

Union, local #486, Baltimore, MD.

Only required to have adjustable pliers, measuring device, either tape measure or stick rule, and a writing utensil.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

The money would have to be really really right for me to provide my own consumables.
              as for the tools, I prefer to use my own anyway. I still use a company right angle drill, sawzall, and threader. But id' rather buy all the other tools that make my job easier than those few power tools.

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
              well what i figured was that i really didn't need my own drill or sawzall. i figured i could just use the companies. well when i get to the job i find that there are no company power tools. no drills, no sawzalls, no skill saws. the only power tools i have seen are two portabands, and three bosch hammer drills that have seen better days and don't even get me started on the drill bits. there are literally no b tanks owned by the company on the job to my knowledge. i don't own a b tank so i ended up just bringing in my little mapp torch. ever tried to solder some 3 inch with a mapp gas torch. it takes awhile. i conceeded with the drill and sawzall and brought in my own but like i said, a week later and i don't have a drill. gets to be a real pain in the *** when you go to work on a project at the house on the weekend only to realize your drill is an hour away at the job. o yea and heres the real kicker. i figured for sure that perishables would be a company responsibility. nope, i got into a little verbal spat with a co worker after i used my solder i found in the job box. apparently it was HIS solder. no company pipe dope, solder, teflon, fitting brushes, flux, nothing. and that mapp tank i brought in. it's empty now. I WILL be buying a new one. i'm sorry i'm rambling now and i'm sure your all tired of hearing it. other than the tools and stuff i have no complaints, they are a pretty good shop and seem to treat their guys good. it's good to see what it's like on the other side of the fence but i'm still just waiting for the phone to ring, i do miss that extra thousand dollars a month in subsistence.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

hiler-

Does your employer at least provide the service vehicle and pay for fuel? Not trying to be funny, just curious. I can understand providing your own tools, but I don't get why you have to pay for consumables. You are working for a company and making them $$, yet you pay for consumables out of your own pocket? I'm not in the trades but I have learned alot from everyone here and issues like this surprise me. I worked for a mom and pop appliance/TV store as a service tech and everything was provided- Fluke meters, Scopes, Weller irons (butane & electric), hand & power tools, etc. Guess I took it for granted. I do have my own equipment, but theirs was just about as good as mine.

As for the comments about auto mechanics, one of my good friends is a mechanic and while working on my vehicle one time, a stubborn bolt won a battle with his impact and sheared the head of the impact clean off. I felt bad but he said not to worry about it; when the Snap-On truck arrives in the morning, they'll replace it- for free! He proceeded to inform me that anything he buys off the truck is replaced no questions asked. He may have a small fortune in tools but with that kind of exchange policy it's a one time investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul5409 View Post
                  hiler-

Does your employer at least provide the service vehicle and pay for fuel? Not trying to be funny, just curious. I can understand providing your own tools, but I don't get why you have to pay for consumables. You are working for a company and making them $$, yet you pay for consumables out of your own pocket? I'm not in the trades but I have learned alot from everyone here and issues like this surprise me. I worked for a mom and pop appliance/TV store as a service tech and everything was provided- Fluke meters, Scopes, Weller irons (butane & electric), hand & power tools, etc. Guess I took it for granted. I do have my own equipment, but theirs was just about as good as mine.

As for the comments about auto mechanics, one of my good friends is a mechanic and while working on my vehicle one time, a stubborn bolt won a battle with his impact and sheared the head of the impact clean off. I felt bad but he said not to worry about it; when the Snap-On truck arrives in the morning, they'll replace it- for free! He proceeded to inform me that anything he buys off the truck is replaced no questions asked. He may have a small fortune in tools but with that kind of exchange policy it's a one time investment.
                  I m not knoken ther price like you said life time warenty not to say they also come to you where you work you dont need to make trip to store and you pay for that
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

You have to supply your own consumables!! Thats hardcore! Well, the non union shop I currently work for requires us to have, a mapp gas torch, all our own hand tools except 24" and larger pipe wrenches. As for power tools we are required to have a set of cordless (or corded if you prefer) power tools which include a sawzall, hammer drill, skill saw, flash light. The company provides everything else. Which is the way I think it should be. You supply the basic stuff, company supplies the specialty stuff. I do think a set of cordless power tools is basic. I own more than the company requires, but hey I'm a tool junkie. We are tradesmen we should own the tools of our trade.
                    Last edited by mpm; 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM.
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                        i got into a little verbal spat with a co worker after i used my solder i found in the job box. apparently it was HIS solder. no company pipe dope, solder, teflon, fitting brushes, flux, nothing. and that mapp tank i brought in. it's empty now. I WILL be buying a new one. i'm sorry i'm rambling now and i'm sure your all tired of hearing it. other than the tools and stuff i have no complaints, they are a pretty good shop and seem to treat their guys good. it's good to see what it's like on the other side of the fence but i'm still just waiting for the phone to ring, i do miss that extra thousand dollars a month in subsistence.
                      From your description it sounds like you are not treated very well. The business model this company has allows them to have low overhead costs thus they are very competitive, and eliminate many headaches for themselves. It puts the onus on the employee to be careful with their tools. I want to know who's responsible when you start a fire with YOUR B-tank and gas?

They don't provide solder? So now solder isn't a material used on the job? It's not an outfit I would work for. They are extremely unfair.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

i definitely don't agree with the consumables part. i can understand the power tools. i have all my own but just a simple ryobi kit. not industrial grade like i would prefer or used to for commercial work. really wouldn't bother me if the money was right but i took a huge pay cut, almost ten bucks an hour. what chapped my *** is i gave my foreman a five dollar bill to pick me up some basic solder stuff, flux brush and a few fitting brushes, before he went to the supply house. when he shows up he's got a brand new pair of $25 tillman leather gloves. i asked him what he paid for em since i'm fitting up and tacking all the weld pipe for our welder, and as he hands me my three dollars worth of stuff and no change, he replies, "i didn't pay anything" and walks off. now i'm fed up.

Comment

i really liked the way the coal mine did it. before you headed underground for the start of your shift you headed to the tool counter right outside the break room and asked the guy behind the desk for whatever it was you needed. pipe wrenches, crescent wrenches, channel locks, pliers, a regular home depot right there on site. he'd ask you how many pairs hand the stuff over and make you sign a P.O. with your check every week would be a receipt for whatever you purchased. everything was paid for at an insanely discounted rate. i'm talking an 18" ridgid aluminum pipe wrench for like $14 bucks. sticker still on it. all gloves were top grade leather and completely free, need some slickers, free. top of the line safety glasses, free. I really wish i would have taken more advantage of that when i had the chance. luckily i still have a bunch of friends working there that hook a brother up. i don't remember any power tools though. that would have been titties and beer.

Comment

Working...
                          X