Brass Parts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brass Parts?

PEX? Do you recall the video I posted on your "flip camera" post last week?
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      PEX? Do you recall the video I posted on your "flip camera" post last week?
      Was that not Polybutylene? Got me nervous now....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

you can thank me for being part of the discussion panel for the pro45 and pro 45b ballcock.
        rick.
        Ok then, Thank you.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, you're right. (not sorry that you're right, sorry I scared you.)
          Heck, they both start with "P".
          I don't use anything that sounds like the name of someone's great aunt (Ethylene, Butylene) (no joke, my wife's aunt's name is Ethelene and she has an uncle name Butyl.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SlimTim; 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
            Sorry, you're right. (not sorry that you're right, sorry I scared you.)
            Heck, they both start with "P".
            All things that start with "P" aren't bad.

Honestly, if anyone has seen higher failure %'s with the PEX supplies, I'd like to know.

So far, I've seen zero problems with them. No swivel, installs quickly, and no rubber parts.

No failures. Does that make me a bad businessman?

J.C.

Comment

glad to see that you're also using the padded interlocking floor mats.

they've saved my knees for years now

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                glad to see that you're also using the padded interlocking floor mats.

they've saved my knees for years now

rick.
                Wish I had used them years ago and maybe my knees would have been saved.
                I do know, from experience, that you can drop a 12" pipe wrench on one and it won't damage the tile floor underneath .

Comment

Wolverine makes any brass plumbing part you could possibly want at a reasonable price.

I install brass ballcocks whenever possible (usually older toilets). Wolverine's is premo. I got tired of the "you're going to replace that piece of metal that lasted 20 years with that plastic piece of trash?" line. Most newer toilets won't accommodate a tank ball though.

Our shop's policy is also to install chrome plated supplies unless the valve is too high or close to the shank. It takes all of 2 minutes longer to cut, ream and bend the tube and it looks a lot more professional.

I yank out a lot of failed flexible connectors......I can't remember ever pulling out a failed copper supply tube, aside from one that was installed incorrectly.

I sleep very well at night.

Comment

the problem i see with ridgid connectors is that don;t allow for any movement in a tank or a bowl.thus creating a potential leak caused by stress on the joint or shank of the ballcock.

the old days of hard chrome connectors are pretty much gone except for possibly government jobs.

in fact fluidmaster supplies a water flex with their replacement kohler sidemount ballcock that's required to use to prevent breakage.

the only flexes i've seen go bad are the ones exposed to chemicals and the cheap ones with plastic hose barbs, not brass.

water flexes have been around here for the last 20 plus years with very little failures. much lees than spaghetti that wasn't properly beaded and pulled out.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I understand your point Rick, but if the toilet is installed properly, the bowl definitely shouldn't move, right?

How much movement are we talking about in a tank? 1/8"? Again, if it's a decent quality toilet and it's installed correctly there should not be a problem imo.

A flexible connector's weakest point is the swivel connector which will have stress on it from "movement" too and can eventually leak as well (this is the most common leak that I find).

BTW, I installed a Mansfield 10" rough toilet last week and they've got a slick system for the tank bolts. No washers, the top of the bolt is coated in heavy slip resistant rubber. Holds itself in place while tightening from below. 3 bolt pattern that had virtually no movement in the tank when pushed on (gently) and the bolts were only tightened 1/4 turn past hand tight.

It does, however, still flush like a Mansfield. But the price is right for a 10" rough when you can't change to an offset collar
                      Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                        Wolverine makes any brass plumbing part you could possibly want at a reasonable price.

I install brass ballcocks whenever possible (usually older toilets). Wolverine's is premo. I got tired of the "you're going to replace that piece of metal that lasted 20 years with that plastic piece of trash?" line. Most newer toilets won't accommodate a tank ball though.

Our shop's policy is also to install chrome plated supplies unless the valve is too high or close to the shank. It takes all of 2 minutes longer to cut, ream and bend the tube and it looks a lot more professional.

I yank out a lot of failed flexible connectors......I can't remember ever pulling out a failed copper supply tube, aside from one that was installed incorrectly.

I sleep very well at night.
                        Thanks Swade. I almost forgot about them.

Wolverine Brass 2010

Page C-10
                        Bottom Right
                        Catalog #24793 for the mounting nut
                        Catalog #24792 for the coupling nut

http://www.wolverinebrass.com/Wolver...20&%20Tank.pdf

Thought it might help if anyone else is looking. The brass fill valves do look nice also but I have zero experience with their performance.

J.C.

Comment

I also use Pex supply tubes and have never seen any failures while using them. I can see that there can be movement overtime on the toilets, but that comes from what I would consider a poor install.

Just my thought on a toilet install, wax ring w/o a horn, shim if neccesary, and caulk. They just don't move. That is unless there is an earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                            I also use Pex supply tubes and have never seen any failures while using them. I can see that there can be movement overtime on the toilets, but that comes from what I would consider a poor install.

Just my thought on a toilet install, wax ring w/o a horn, shim if neccesary, and caulk. They just don't move. That is unless there is an earthquake.
                            Some of the toilets I have seen, move just by walking in the bathroom. The whole floor will move in some of these older homes. And I only weigh about 190. Has nothing to do with the way it was installed
                            I've used flex supplies from WB, & fluidmaster for years, with no issues. And I'd have to say the flexes are almost impossible to install the wrong way, unlike solid supplies.
                            But I agree they look nicer. I still install quite a few, that come with the satin nickel, or polished brass, or bronze valve kits. Some customers will request the solid chrome supply tubes, which is fine with me too, cuz I stock plenty of them still. Thats my 2cents.

Comment

Funny, I went on this call the day after J.C. posted this thread.
                              Every room flooded (and this is just two days after we received 9 INCHES of rain).
                              I don't normally leave the tag on the supply but I thought maybe the insurance adjuster would want to see the nsf symbol. Probably not, but from the looks of the next picture it didn't matter anyway. (That's pre-flood clutter)
                              Attached Files

Comment

"That's pre-flood clutter...."

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's why I started the thread and am moving to all brass connections.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X