X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Parts?

Looking for brass parts. Specifically, the fill valve mounting nut and supply nut.

Thanks for any links.

J.C.

Re: Brass Parts?

Nobody?

Tell you what's got me looking. Over the last week or two I've ran into Fluidmasters with:

1) The mounting nut split around the circumference causing a leak.

2) The supply nut split causing a leak.

3) The plastic shank causing a leak. Just pulled this one yesterday. That hairline WAS the culprit.

I do understand how many thousands of these everyone has installed, including myself. But I don't like plastic parts here and want to remove liability.

Thanks.

J.C.
    Attached Files

Comment

OK so you want to toss the factory plastic ballcock and mounting nuts and use brass ones instead? I wouldn't start mixing and matching parts on a ballcock.

My rule of thumb...plastic shank gets a plastic nut...brass shank gets a brass nut.

The early Fluidmasters with the brown ballcock nuts used to split all the time. Haven't had any of the white ones fail.....yet. Is your water quality making plastic more brittle?

If you don't feel comfortable with using plastic parts then you should stop using Fluidmasters and start installing Mansfield or Wolverine Brass. 4 times the expence of a Fluidmaster but one plastic nut failure can ruin a months profit.

Comment

Don't know what's causing the failures I've seen. Different water at different places.

I was thinking of going to the Fluidmaster brass shank, brass mounting nut, brass supply nut.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          OK so you want to toss the factory plastic ballcock and mounting nuts and use brass ones instead? I wouldn't start mixing and matching parts on a ballcock.

My rule of thumb...plastic shank gets a plastic nut...brass shank gets a brass nut.

The early Fluidmasters with the brown ballcock nuts used to split all the time. Haven't had any of the white ones fail.....yet. Is your water quality making plastic more brittle?

If you don't feel comfortable with using plastic parts then you should stop using Fluidmasters and start installing Mansfield or Wolverine Brass. 4 times the expence of a Fluidmaster but one plastic nut failure can ruin a months profit.

You are too smart.

STOP HIM!!!!!

I replaced a cracked one just today on a toilet. Told the fellow how apparently lucky he was.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
            You are too smart.

STOP HIM!!!!!
            No crawfishing but I follow the same lines.

J.C.

Comment

Now, where can I get a good deal on 100 mounting nuts and 100 supply nuts?

J.C.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack
                I'm curious, does this ballcock come with brass or plastic nuts?
                This ballcock comes with PLASTIC accessories.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Now, where can I get a good deal on 100 mounting nuts and 100 supply nuts?

J.C.
                  I use a place in Manassas, VA called Parts Unlimited for stuff like that. You won't find more knowledge about plumbing parts anywhere

http://partsuinc.com/index.php?content=About%20Us
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Its a no win situation
                    I went out real early one morning to rescue a baby doctor that was holding his finger on a all brass ballcock on a upstairs com that already flooded his whole house...
                    I just turned of the supply valve off
                    They had so many chlorine blocks in the tank it ate the brass up and it was full flow before it made it to the plunger on the ball cock
                    I changed them all to plastic

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      Its a no win situation
                      I went out real early one morning to rescue a baby doctor that was holding his finger on a all brass ballcock on a upstairs com that already flooded his whole house...
                      I just turned of the supply valve off
                      They had so many chlorine blocks in the tank it ate the brass up and it was full flow before it made it to the plunger on the ball cock
                      I changed them all to plastic
                      Ahhhh...but what I'm proposing is plastic in the tank, brass shank, brass nuts.

Better? Worse? Just trying to do the best combination.

And now that I think about it, I have no idea why we all just started accepting the plastic supply attachment to the ballcock.

I've never seen a good plumber that has a choice attach sink supplies with plastic nuts. (I don't count flexes. )

J.C.

Comment

Just gonna' bump it one time to see if I can learn more. Don't want to beat it to death.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I'm having deja vu all over again. I feel like I've written this before. (deja-graph?)

I use the Fluidmaster Pro45-b (brass shank) and the wolverine brass flex supplies with the brass nuts at both ends (I love'em). It marries with the brass shank like well, like they were married. Plus, I sleep better at night. I doubt that thick plastic retainer nut on the pro45's would ever split. I also like the air gap they send for the refill tube.
                          The Wolverine part # is 57670 and they are $4.84 @
                          Last edited by SlimTim; 05-04-2010, 11:44 PM.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                            I'm having deja vu all over again. I feel like I've written this before. (deja-graph?)

I use the Fluidmaster Pro45-b (brass shank) and the wolverine brass flex supplies with the brass nuts at both ends (I love'em). It marries with the brass shank like well, like they were married. Plus, I sleep better at night. I doubt that thick plastic retainer nut on the pro45's would ever split. I also like the air gap they send for the refill tube.
                            The Wolverine part # is 57670 and they are $4.84 @
                            Thanks Tim. I've honestly resisted flexes because I've found their weakness to be at the 3/8" swivel. Steel braided or not. The cracked Fluidmaster in the picture was also leaking there. Two places on this call.

I have not used the Wolverine Brass flexes though and might give them a try.

Thanks again.

P.S. What I have been using with zero callbacks for several years is a PEX supply tube. But am open to change or hear any bad stories about them.

J.C.

Comment

technically the plastic shank nut is not exposed to water.

the new style nut is designed to be fingered tightened because it has 2 wings that are made for your fingers and not a wrench.

the ballcocks that were extended shanks used on the kohler wellworths were overtightened at the factory and would stress shear the shanks of the ballcocks years after.

also chlorine tablets in the tank are a no no and do void any liability with the toilet parts.

as far as the plastic supply nut that comes with them. nobody uses them. the days of chrome spaghetti are far and few. i have both chromed brass supply nuts and plastic supply nuts on my toilet flexes. the plastic ones make up easier and don't require as much tightening.

you can thank me for being part of the discussion panel for the pro45 and pro 45b ballcock.

finally got my hands on some pro45hr ballcocks for toto and high refill bowls.

i've tried all the other so called fill valves and by and far the best ones are the fluidmasters.

the toto/ hunter are garbage, the american standard smart valve was the biggest piece of junk ever made, the brasscraft fill valve and delta ones were gimmicks. and the rest i can't remember for a good reason.

fluidmaster is used in the majority of new toilets for a reason, because they work.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X