X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Breaker or Check?

Had a commercial job where a vacuum breaker is installed on a sink hose. Vacuum breaker leaking and also stopping flow through the hose. AND I couldn't find a replacement anywhere soon enough plus this sink has got to be operational now.

So I bypassed the vacuum breaker and installed a spring check in the hose.

Good? Bad? Does a vacuum breaker beat a spring check? Other way around?

Would you consider them pretty much equal?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Vacuum Breaker or Check?

JC

A vacuum breaker will normally leak water out through an atmospheric port rather than let it be sucked back into the potable water supply.

A spring loaded check valve does not have that port and so doesn't offer the same type protection.

I imagine if you had installed a Watts 9D backflow preventor which does have a port that might technically provide the same level of protection.

If I were you I would correct the deficiency as soon as parts become available. Or change the faucet and install a new vacuum breaker by default.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

a spring check is not the same. if i could not fix the AVB i would change the faucet! backflow prevention is not something to get wrong.

Comment

You should get the avb fixed or replace the faucet. Cross Connection is very important and should be corrected as soon as possible.

Comment

Not the same better to have put the sink out of service till new parts/faucet could be installed.
          Last time I try to fix it myself. Next time I will hire a PROFESSIONAL.

Comment

Working...
          X