Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all United Association members

hey there fellow brothers,

i need a little help from you guys. i'm looking to hit the road here in the next six to twelve months, not sure where, that's why i need help. just curious as to if any of your locals are taking travelers right now and what the economy has done to your out of work list. trying to find somewhere i can settle down for awhile so if you know of anything popping up i'd sure like to hear about it.

thanks

Re: calling all United Association members

Here in Chicago things are slow. Vegas was rocking with work awhile back, not sure about now. I have also heard that Canada was taking travelers.

Comment

Work is also somewhat slow here in Baltimore.

One thing I have heard is that if your were convicted of a DUI in the United States, you can't travel to work in Canada because a DUI is considered a felony up there.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Don't come to Michigan, if you want a job, especially union, there is none to be had. If you need to put food on the table, don't limit your options to UA jobs, cuz every local has long waiting lists.

Comment

and what local do you belong to again Don??
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            and what local do you belong to again Don??
            Was 98, but not anymore. But I have a job to go to everyday. And it's where I live.
            Not tryin to bash UA either, just saying what worked for me.

Comment

Local 75 here in Milwaukee, things are very slow and lots of laid off plumbers. Heard that if you have been on the list for over a year that you should look for a new career. Wish it was better for the others. Seems that if you work for a small shop it is not as bad as the rest. Good luck.

Comment

in az 469 things are picking up. intell is manning up for another fab building. our co. is very busy

if you have a lot of certs it make it easy to travel

Comment

not sure what's going on, but they put me back on their mailing list a year or so ago

the union had its good and bad points.

the school. training was the best anywhere

but the politics was like a washington senate

every election was the only time i heard from them. they heard from me every month with my union dues i hate to think how many hot dogs i bought with my dues at union picnic every other year

you either wait for the phone to ring

or you make some phone calls to find your own thing

good luck and keep your options open.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Alberta,Canada. Taking travelers for the oil sand fields,need passport,I think a criminal background check,a completed waiver letter,and no d.u.i.'s in the last 10 years.I think the prossesing was going thru local 636 in Detroit. Stay away from the Chicago area,local 501 about 700 JM out and about 100 APP,local 130 more than that.
                    Last edited by leakfree; 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
                      Alberta,Canada. Taking travelers for the oil sand fields,need passport,I think a criminal background check,a completed waiver letter,and no d.u.i.'s in the last 10 years.I think the prossesing was going thru local 636 in Detroit. Stay away from the Chicago area,local 501 about 700 JM out and about 100 APP,local 130 more than that.
                      Local 636 is Pipefitters in Detroit. Plumbers is 98. Just saying!

Comment

The work in canada is mostly fitters work from what I hear and what the UA journal was showing. That would explain why 636 would process perhaps.

If you can weld you're golden. Usually a local will take a plumber who can weld for fitter's work, that is if the fitters don't have anyone on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                        X