X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless or Galvanized?

I have zero experience with Stainless. Which does this look like to you.

I couldn't find an ASTM rating on it anywhere.

Thanks.

J.C.
    Attached Files

Re: Stainless or Galvanized?

Whats it supplying or returning from?

Whats running threw it?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

That's your regular, run-of-the-mill, standard, off-the-shelf galvanized steel Schedule 40 pipe you have there. Nothing at all unusual about it. Except: That looks to be a check valve, which means you're running water through the piping, which could be a problem. Steel rusts, and as the great sage and philosopher Neil Young, via the boys in Devo, tells us: "Rust NEVER sleeps."

Oh, and could you tell us why the check valve is only on that one branch line? What the heck is this serving?

Comment

It's on a hose testing station. I too thought it looked just like regular galvanized and based on what they are telling me about the previous installer.

Now here is the issue I'm concerned about. This is pressurized often to 800 psi
        and I can't find the ASTM for 1"+ sch.40 galvanized to hold that pressure.

In short, pipe rated for that. And there is no stamp on it anywhere that I can see. However, it's been doing fine for a year now. No weeps at the joints either.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Anybody got an ASTM membership or book?

Looking for ASTM A-53-A x 1.25".

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

this has ASTM A-53-B
            http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/as...ure-d_775.html

this is a poor picture, but has ASTM A-53-A
            http://pic.globalimporter.net/upload...0957834474.jpg

not sure if this is schedule 80 or 40
            http://www.sspipe.com/shared/pdf_fil...-dip_Galva.pdf

personally I think I would be more concerned about (what looks like) cast fittings than the pipe, on most Hydraulic systems they use a forge steel machined fittings, and usually strongly advise against cast fittings,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              this has ASTM A-53-B
              http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/as...ure-d_775.html

this is a poor picture, but has ASTM A-53-A
              http://pic.globalimporter.net/upload...0957834474.jpg

not sure if this is schedule 80 or 40
              http://www.sspipe.com/shared/pdf_fil...-dip_Galva.pdf

personally I think I would be more concerned about (what looks like) cast fittings than the pipe, on most Hydraulic systems they use a forge steel machined fittings, and usually strongly advise against cast fittings,
              Thanks. I have been looking at those and here's what doesn't make sense to me though. If I understand correctly.

Grade B is stronger than grade A. Fine. But those two charts give MUCH different PSI ratings.

For example: The hard to read chart rates 2" at a test pressure of 2800 psi.

The easier to read chart rates 2" at a test pressure of 230 psi.

J.C.

Comment

I'll bump this one time. Thought Mark might know which test table is accurate.

I posted on a couple of Mechanical Engineering sites with no answers....yet.

J.C.

Comment

I don't really know...

but the first link with the lower pressure ratings show 'working pressure', while the second two with the higher pressure ratings show 'test pressue.'

I suspect that is the discrepancy.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    I don't really know...

but the first link with the lower pressure ratings show 'working pressure', while the second two with the higher pressure ratings show 'test pressue.'

I suspect that is the discrepancy.
                    What's would be the defined difference?

Would bringing it to 800 psi for 3 minutes (no flow) be considered working or testing pressure?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      It's on a hose testing station. I too thought it looked just like regular galvanized and based on what they are telling me about the previous installer.

In short, pipe rated for that. And there is no stamp on it anywhere that I can see. However, it's been doing fine for a year now. No weeps at the joints either.

Thanks.

J.C.
                      For a year it has had no problems ? Why mess with it ???
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What's would be the defined difference?

Would bringing it to 800 psi for 3 minutes (no flow) be considered working or testing pressure?

J.C.
                        in the application I would think it would be working pressure,

I really do not have experience in this area, but no that long ago I was rebuilding my tractors loader, on the old tractor it used black or galvanized water pipe, and standard fittings, on a hydraulic pressures of about 1200 psi, when I moved it from the old tractor to the new tractor, I replaced the hydraulics and used a Hydraulic tubing, that I formed JIC flares on , I looked a lot like EMT electrical conduit, It was not it was designed for that task, but the tube was a lot thinner than the pipe I replaced, and it was rated for (IF I remember 3000+ psi hydraulics,) http://www.hydraulicstore.com/tubingsteel.html.

I know a lot of older farm equipment used standard steel pipe for many years for extending hydraulic lines that were using 2200 psi max pressures, never hear of a failure, (now this was more in the 1/2" pipe size), like I said before they usually would have some warning on using non hydraulic rated fittings tho,
                        wish I could actually answer your questions,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i would be much more concerned with the pressure rating of the brass check valve.

also keep in mind smaller pipe has a higher pressure rating that larger pipe.

working pressure and burst pressure are typically a good 4 to 1 safety factor.

125#-150# fittings are not intended for 800# pressures and spikes.

remember when it fails and someone gets hurt, the first thing they look at is the material, then the installer and then the people who have serviced the system

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.
                            Sorry but I did not notice this thread until now. As has already been mentioned it is galvanized pipe. It appears to be imported pipe which would explain the bright color of the pipe. At one time galvanized pipe (& others) did not have to be individually labeled if it was a single lift headed to a single location and it had a tag on it (dumb idea). However, anything in the last 25+ years needed to be individually labeled.

The test pressure means nothing to the installer. The installer can only use the working pressure. If this is a job you are considering doing, don't. Tell the owner the system is unsafe as installed. Even a repair to this system could make you liable for the entire system if something ever happens.

As for a membership in ASTM, that only gets you a 10% discount on the Standards. I only buy three or four Standards a year at approximately $60 each so it is cheaper for me not to be a member. By the way, some of those Standards are only 13 pages long after the Forward and Table of Context.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Plumber Rick: "i would be much more concerned with the pressure rating of the brass check valve."

Amen! When I read 800 PSI, my only thought was "RUN!!!" I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR that system, let alone working on it. Liability is my second concern; my first is losing a limb!

Comment

Working...
                              X