X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set-Rite - Toilet Flange Spacer

A buddy of mine got back from a PHCC trade show in Orlando last month and showed me this Set-Rite sample "Contractor Pack". Apparently it is the only spacer that's designed to go underneath a toilet flange during the rough-in. He said to meet him out at a new home he was roughing in and showed me how these spacers are used as a layout tool, come in 4 different thicknesses, are stackable and there is no need to shim or wait for the tile guy to finish his floor. My friend laid out 4 toilets, scribed marks using the inside spacer opening, cut the waste line holes, installed the spacers, screwed down the toilet flange and he was done. In less than an hour...I was shocked and looked at the bags these spacers came in they have a website at set-rite.com so tonight I went to look at it more thoroughly...if I were a plumber or builder I would too....Just wanted to let you know these spacers save alot of time and no more fighting with the tile guy!!!

Tom

Originally posted by The Inspector:
    A buddy of mine got back from a PHCC trade show in Orlando last month and showed me this Set-Rite sample "Contractor Pack". Apparently it is the only spacer that's designed to go underneath a toilet flange during the rough-in. He said to meet him out at a new home he was roughing in and showed me how these spacers are used as a layout tool, come in 4 different thicknesses, are stackable and there is no need to shim or wait for the tile guy to finish his floor. My friend laid out 4 toilets, scribed marks using the inside spacer opening, cut the waste line holes, installed the spacers, screwed down the toilet flange and he was done. In less than an hour...I was shocked and looked at the bags these spacers came in they have a website at set-rite.com so tonight I went to look at it more thoroughly...if I were a plumber or builder I would too....Just wanted to let you know these spacers save alot of time and no more fighting with the tile guy!!!

Tom
    If you are refering to setting the correct elevation of the closet flange, I always set my flanges during the finish stage. This is because a tile floor varies due to the amount of "floating" the tile men due. If the inspector insists that they be set during the top-out, I set them at floor level, because at most the tile will raise the floor level 1/2", and a double wax ring will seal the deal.

In other words, it seems like a product that I don't need. But thanks for the suggestion.

the dog
    the dog

Comment

Yo Dog,
      Yeah.... you can use two (2) wax rings...do you use extra-long johnnie bolts too?? The reason my friend uses these spacers is because the homes he works on use Durarock as an underlayment. Plus, he likes them because they support the johnnie bolts and since these spacers are 1/8" wider than a standard toilet flange diameter, he can install his flange and not have to drill through any tile later on. He makes his last trip to just set the toilet itself. I looked at their website and seeing them used thought they were a pretty good multi-task tool/spacer.

Comment

I can see where these spacers can work. But what do you do after you have set your flange and the lady of the house decides she wants a different tile that happens to be substantially thicker or thinner than what you have allowed for. Or they change to vynl for one reason or another?

You can't set the toilet until trim out any way, the tile is down then and it only takes 3 minutes to drill holes and set anchors. If it took me an hour to set four closet flanges I would have been fired decades ago.

Allowing for the use of an inside cutter, drilling the anchor holes, setting the flange and installing the toilet it better not take more than 20 minutes for the whole process on a bad day.

If an inspector wants to see the flange installed, screw the darned thing to the floor but don't solvent weld the thing. Then on trim you can properly install it.

No offense Inspector, but I am with the dog on this one.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
        X