X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Stop Woes

Found myself scrambling to avert yet another angle stop failure related flood yesterday.

I had to shut off the two Brasscraft 1/4" turn KT series angle stops to work on a faucet. They were 4 years old. I noticed they didn't turn easily. It took some effort to get the handle to start to move to the closed position. I got them to close (hand pressure only). When I went to turn on the hot one, the handle blew off and water started spraying out. Yikes!

I jammed (and I mean jammed!) my thumb over the opening where the handle once was and stopped the spray mostly. I had to yell out for assistance. Fortunately both homeowners were home. I directed one to shut off the water and the other to grab towels. After correcting the home owner and getting him to shut off the main (not the irrigation) the water finally subsided.

It was pretty good team work, but I was left having to stem the flood for a good 4-5 minutes. I had to switch between thumbs on account of the pain. The opening I had to plug was not flush or flat. It was just about unbearable.

Just weeks ago I heard of the same problem happing to another plumber with the same model angle stop.

I have been exclusively installing this brand/model angle stop for the last 6 years and must have installed a couple thousand by now. This model has only been around about this long to my knowledge.

I hope this was an isolated instance and not what is to come.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site showing the model I am describing and some photos of the failure.

http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=203

If any of you have had similar issues with this model angle stop I would like to know.
    Attached Files

Re: Angle Stop Woes

Wow ! That's NOT good !

Who gets Reamed when the Floods Occur ?

Dave

Comment

I heard from my contact at my local plumbing wholesale house that Brasscraft is stepping up to cover related damages, but haven't spoken to Brasscraft personally to verify. I am going to contact the other plumber who reported a similar problem and compare notes.

Comment

that is a brass stem, correct

either they will be nice and send you some product, or tell you it's the water chemistry and lack of exercising the valves.

hopefully they will man up

so now you know what my finger felt like when i took on man versus machine

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

either they will be nice and send you some product, or tell you it's the water chemistry and lack of exercising the valves.

rick.
          It's all about you huh Babe?

Comment

Too much Zinc. Wondering...

J.C.

Comment

Not good I use the same valve and have gone back a couple of years later and ran into stiff valves but none broken yet

There is no excuse for this. Its a friggin angle stop for crying out loud, valves are not new technology.

Its so hard to reccomend products anymore to customers, no confidence in anything made in USA or offshore. Just make a superior product!

I know that that valve sold in the orange box has a plastic stem I refuse to buy those. I know its a price point deal but why cheapen your name

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                Yes I sheared off the brass stem with one hand's torque - albeit us plumbers have pretty strong hands.

The cold angle stop felt the same - though didn't blow. Sticky to start handle movement whether in the closed or open position - easy enough to turn once out of the fully closed or open position.

Comment

Hello Mr D sorry for your midday shower, we over here use angle valves -NIL manufacured in germany really reliable,had a few midday bathes myself. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Too much Zinc. Wondering...

J.C.
                    I wish I had better photos. The metal exposed does not seem like good solid brass. It has a reddish dull color. I hope to find out more when I contact Brasscraft. I say that I sheared off the brass post, but in looking closer at the pieces, it looks like there is a wedge at the end of the handle post and a slot inside the valve at the ball.

Comment

That is pretty scary when I think that I have also installed several thousand of those KT series valves.

I thought that the sweat valves had the brass stems and all the other ones had the plastic stems.

Comment

hopefully it's not a common thing :-(

Anyone have any experience with Dahl ball valve shut offs?? They're made in Canada which is at least this side of the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                          Found myself scrambling to avert yet another angle stop failure related flood yesterday.

I had to shut off the two Brasscraft 1/4" turn KT series angle stops to work on a faucet. They were 4 years old. I noticed they didn't turn easily. It took some effort to get the handle to start to move to the closed position. I got them to close (hand pressure only). When I went to turn on the hot one, the handle blew off and water started spraying out. Yikes!

I jammed (and I mean jammed!) my thumb over the opening where the handle once was and stopped the spray mostly. I had to yell out for assistance. Fortunately both homeowners were home. I directed one to shut off the water and the other to grab towels. After correcting the home owner and getting him to shut off the main (not the irrigation) the water finally subsided.

It was pretty good team work, but I was left having to stem the flood for a good 4-5 minutes. I had to switch between thumbs on account of the pain. The opening I had to plug was not flush or flat. It was just about unbearable.

Just weeks ago I heard of the same problem happing to another plumber with the same model angle stop.

I have been exclusively installing this brand/model angle stop for the last 6 years and must have installed a couple thousand by now. This model has only been around about this long to my knowledge.

I hope this was an isolated instance and not what is to come.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site showing the model I am describing and some photos of the failure.

http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=203

If any of you have had similar issues with this model angle stop I would like to know.
                          Dakota, thanks for the heads up!! This is important stuff imho because Brasscraft is pretty much ubiquitous up here in the twin cities in Minnesota. I have been installing these same valves myself, but will now have to consider going back to the old style CR 19's and 17s.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

An update:

I called Brasscraft this afternoon and spoke to a customer service representative named Camille. She was very polite and interested in what I had to say. She made a point of telling me that she had never heard of this before. The engineers had already gone home for the day, but she said I would be contacted by one of them in the morning to discuss what happened.

I did contact the plumber I had mentioned earlier who also had a failure with the same model valve. He told me he has actually had 4 failures and has sent all 4 broken valves to Brasscraft with a bill for expenses. He told me of another company he works with that has experienced a dozen failures.

Once it gets into a person who knows a person who knows a person, things can get exaggerated and altered just like if you have ever played the "telepohone game". I want to provide accurate factual data for those on this forum and not just be an alarmist.

Stay tuned and hopefully I will have some information by tomorrow. Again, if anyone has had personal experience with a failure of a Brasscraft 1/4 turn angle stop valve please let us know on this thread.

Thanks.

Comment

I wonder if someone counterfeited these in Hong Kong ?

I own some Counterfeit goods and I gotta tell 'Ya they are very hard to Tell !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X