X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your gas meters around the country

Here in the Bay area PG&E Has these on our meters Test Block By pass devise and excessive
    flow valves. Be fun to post some meters around the country. Maybe someone with more
    experience than Me [ that's all plumbers here] can explain function.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Your gas meters around the country

On a visit to San Diago our friend's Gas meter had no test tee. But L.A. does, I think
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The bypass tees are standard in Southern California. The problem is people will remove the plugs and install gas lines in them during remodels. The bypass tees belong to So Cal Gas and are not suppose to be touched. Our meters have pressure regulators with vents. Meters are installed in curb boxes, under houses and outside. If installed under the house the vent to the regulator must be piped to outside.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

not really a test tee, more of a bypass tee. the tee is used for meter or regulator service. this allows the gas co. to bypass the incoming gas from the regulator and meter. they can actually insert their plug and supply bottled gas while the repair is made. thus preventing them from having to lite and service appliances and still maintain service.

interesting operation.

they even have an internal plug, similar to a jet sweat that can be inserted into a gas cock and expanded to seal off the main. then they can replace the gas cock and restore without actually shutting off the main from the street. remember that the gas cock opening is a rectangular port and not a traditional full port ball valve that a jet sweat fits into. so basically they need to fit through the gas cock, expand to round pipe and seal the line. all the time while the line is under pressure and valve open.

same principal as a hot tap.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

thanks mark, you beat me to the punch

our curb meters have a special valve installed on the regulator to keep out the water when they get submerged.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Curb meters never seen that?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              Curb meters never seen that?
              Me neither ,any photos ??

Comment

Working...
              X