Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank You SOLAR!!!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Last I read the average move for people in the U.S. was every 5 to 7 years.

J.C.
    That sounds about right. Brenda been asking for us to move for about 30-years.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Last I read the average move for people in the U.S. was every 5 to 7 years.

J.C.
      That was the average...true. With things the way they are now I believe most people are going to stay put for longer periods of time. I don't see the economy ever coming back the way it was and I see the average person keeping a home 10 years or more.

Comment

It is the 5 year mentality that truely stagnates real potential, not only for the customer; but also for the contractors bottom line at the end of the year. There is good money in solar and it is also good for the environment. My system is more advanced than most and I have installed far more advanced than this. A basic DHW system can be done for around $4500. At that cost the system can pay for itself in 5 years. Of course that depends on what you pay for utilities. As we have seen on this thread some of us don't actually pay enough to justify.

Comment

You suck. It costs me $15.00 just to have service. If I go outside and cut the meter off on January 1, leave it off for the full year, it would cost me $180.00.

J.C.
          don't feel bad. at my shop, i spen $36.00 a month for power and only use less than $1.00

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            don't feel bad. at my shop, i spen $36.00 a month for power and only use less than $1.00

rick.
            So that's how you afford all that galvy

Comment

Thanks Kevin that tells me what type of system it is
              i put in APRICUS brand panels
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                I would estimate the entire job from scratch and all new...including design, engineering, and final adjustments to be around $7,000. So at the rate I am saving it would take with maintance figured about 8 years to payback. That boils down to earning around 9% interest on your investment. In the current financial world that is not a bad pay back. That is also assuming that rates don't go up...which we know they will.
                I've got 7 grand here waiting for you, to install the exact same system, in my house, that you have in your house, including radiant heat right? And don't forget all the tweeking, & adjustments I will be calling you for.
                So by the time it pays for itself, I will then need to replace the pumps, & maybe some piping, or a storage tank or 2? Or now there is a better way, & we do it this way now, so after 8yrs, I suggest you do this, that, & the other thing, right?
                I think your estimate of $7000 is on the conservative side myself. I say you would have to get atleast $10,000 for a job like that. This also does not cover any of the remodeling costs that would be involved. Personally I can't see these systems ever paying for themselves, although I like the concept,I just don't think it's economically feasible.
                Not trying to say your wrong, or don't know your stuff, just stating my opinion, for conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  I've got 7 grand here waiting for you, to install the exact same system, in my house, that you have in your house, including radiant heat right? And don't forget all the tweeking, & adjustments I will be calling you for.
                  So by the time it pays for itself, I will then need to replace the pumps, & maybe some piping, or a storage tank or 2? Or now there is a better way, & we do it this way now, so after 8yrs, I suggest you do this, that, & the other thing, right?
                  I think your estimate of $7000 is on the conservative side myself. I say you would have to get atleast $10,000 for a job like that. This also does not cover any of the remodeling costs that would be involved. Personally I can't see these systems ever paying for themselves, although I like the concept,I just don't think it's economically feasible.
                  Not trying to say your wrong, or don't know your stuff, just stating my opinion, for conversation.
                  In no way does that cost include the infloor system. That is a completely seperate system that I merely added a second heat source. If you want the full ball of wax that is my complete solar and heating system then you will need to warm up about $22,000 and hotel expenses plus airfare and tool shipping. What day would you like to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                    In no way does that cost include the infloor system. That is a completely seperate system that I merely added a second heat source. If you want the full ball of wax that is my complete solar and heating system then you will need to warm up about $22,000 and hotel expenses plus airfare and tool shipping. What day would you like to start?
                    You take Visa? Now how long.......... before it pays for itself?

Comment

What do you care, just pay him in savings.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Visa is good

Ok for my system I can answer this with real numbers. The first year we were here the system was on 1/2" baseboard. We froze the whole winter and paid fuel bills (that is gas only) around $350/month. I left the 80% boiler and properly installed a primary/secondary loop with variable speed injection and split the house into 8 zones. I pulled all baseboards and ran 5000' of HPEX that was actually left under the house from when we bought it (guess they didn't know what to do with it). I also added a Tekmar outdoor reset and changed all t-stats to digital.

For those efforts my average fuel bill went to $140. After the solar it dropped again to about $80. Now with a mod/con boiler you will save even more, but lets keep apples to apples. Boiler refit at $210 savings per month at retail rate will pay for itself within 9 years. I am not giving consideration to maintance because the system already existed and would have required annual care anyway.

Comment

We have a lot of solar for elec. in our area,
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Couple years back when oil and gas prices soared, we were installing quite a few solar sets. Now the price of fuel is down, we ain't selling any. That and there's no tax credit here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Couple years back when oil and gas prices soared, we were installing quite a few solar sets. Now the price of fuel is down, we ain't selling any. That and there's no tax credit here.
                              Between credits and rebates nearly 2/3 of the system is paid for here.

Comment

What would be the cost difference, if you were installing for a customer, for what you have installed vs. say....high efficiency forced air and water heater?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X