Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank You SOLAR!!!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    What would be the cost difference, if you were installing for a customer, for what you have installed vs. say....high efficiency forced air and water heater?

J.C.
    Thanks for the question, but we are getting into potatoes vs. apples. If I was to put in what I call the best systems with no gas it would be this.

Depending on DHW demand I would install a Marathon Elect Water Heater and a 93%+ furnace, with duct work on a 6R, all plenums insulated, also a humidifier, and do not forget the UV bar. For my house would take $11,500. Half the cost as a rule and no pay back...just pay less. I say this because at no point do you ever produce more than what is used and for all that is used you will pay.

The comment on electric PV panels really interests me. I have seriously explored them but the pay back is nearly 17 years. Love the idea, but don't have another 25Gs to be serious about it.

Comment

Now, since we keep talking money, let's talk about it.

The amounts you list are often financed, at least here they would be. Home equity or new home financing. Now think about that. I have not checked rates in awhile but for scenarios sake let's use 5%-6%. That's $11,000 extra dollars often financed for 30 years.

Plus, does it put one over the PMI threshold? How long? How much? And then those funds, if any, are unavailable for investment.

Then there's also the $11,000 (extra cost listed) dollars unavailable for investment in other avenues be it real estate, world market, ETF's whatever. Often can earn more than 6%.

And do these solar/radiant systems cost the exact same to maintain or replace than the efficient forced air & water heater system you describe? Or are they cheaper? The Marathon heater is guaranteed for life. (Tank Only).

IF they cost more then you have to account for that and the percentage lost as potential investment income also.

Just some more to think about.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Financing is different depending on where you are. Here if you want solar hot water, the power company will install it for $50 down, and give you a 0% interest loan for up to 14 years to pay for the thing. The loan gets rolled into your power bill.

The customers I have here with the solar from the power company say they have a small savings a month on the power bill, even accounting for the loan payment being added to the bill. Once the loan is payed off, that will then be a larger savings.

Comment

Working...
        X