X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MANABLOC Water Distribution System

I am in the process of pricing out a re-pipe using the Viega MANABLOC Water Distribution System. Has anybody here used this system ? Does it cut down on time at all? I have a very small job one three piece bath on the 2nd floor and the rest of the plumbing fixtures are located together in the basement or directly above this area. My thoughts are with this manifold will eliminate tees and turn 70% of the job into several little 5 foot runs from the manifold to the fixture. What are your thoughts on this approach ?

Re: MANABLOC Water Distribution System

I've used the manifold system. I'm still prone to run the stuff like it was copper, I like to use 90's and not bend the pipe, I might be way off base about that. It also seems like I would use a ton of room using the manifold system. Pipes every place. Even now I don't see alot of plumbers using manifolds around here. It will work fine eitherway. besides you may try it and like running manifolds
    Last edited by saysflushable; 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

i installed two on a 3.5 bath house.the concept is good but they take twice as long and alot of 3/8 tubing be sure to run 1/2 to tub and shower valves some shw only valves can use 3/8 depending on flow requirements but wash box needs 1/2 also.the house i did the kitchen was furthest from block so i had to run 2 colds and two hots thats alot of pipe to avoid fittings and anglestops.be sure to have two people at trim for pressure test.

Comment

I have been wondering how that is going to work testing ? since there is only one bath I want to keep them hooked up. I have never been thru a repipe inspection and keep missing the inspector to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I have been wondering how that is going to work testing ? since there is only one bath I want to keep them hooked up. I have never been thru a repipe inspection and keep missing the inspector to ask.
          Here we're allowed to ball valve off the remodel rough-in and test that only.

J.C.

Comment

so you have to install your new distribution system in parallel to the existing system this one being galvy drilling holes next to the existing stubs and all? test new system and then can hook up to existing fixtures?

Comment

so you have to install your new distribution system in parallel to the existing system this one being galvy drilling holes next to the existing stubs and all? test new system and then can hook up to existing fixtures?
              Yes. I think we're on the same page.

J.C.

Comment

We put in probably a dozen manabloc systems for my current employer as he bought the salesman's pitch hook line and sinker. The upside is that you can isolate fixtures and the lines to the fixture in the event of a leak. To me that is the only upside. They require ridiculous amounts of space for the block itself, a ton of pipe, it takes literally twice as long to pull all of the pipe to each fixture, especially on a two story or split level.
                We only stopped using them because the manabloc was late arriving for a job i was doing so i did it normally, cutting tee's into main runs, a gravity circ for the hot, etc. Literally took half the time and actually looked like a plumber did it. By the time the boss figured up the cost of the manabloc, the extra time,pipe, and general screwing around with the system we are now thankfully back running pipe like plumbers instead of sparky's.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
                  We put in probably a dozen manabloc systems for my current employer as he bought the salesman's pitch hook line and sinker. The upside is that you can isolate fixtures and the lines to the fixture in the event of a leak. To me that is the only upside. They require ridiculous amounts of space for the block itself, a ton of pipe, it takes literally twice as long to pull all of the pipe to each fixture, especially on a two story or split level.
                  We only stopped using them because the manabloc was late arriving for a job i was doing so i did it normally, cutting tee's into main runs, a gravity circ for the hot, etc. Literally took half the time and actually looked like a plumber did it. By the time the boss figured up the cost of the manabloc, the extra time,pipe, and general screwing around with the system we are now thankfully back running pipe like plumbers instead of sparky's.
                  Agreed. Nuff' said.

J.C.

Comment

well JC that sucks! I can't wait to find out .

Comment

well JC that sucks! I can't wait to find out .
                      What sucks? Maybe I told you wrong.

J.C.

Comment

around 310 feet of 1/2" and 40' of 3/4" . Five runs of 55' of 1/2" to the up stairs bath room and the rest is tied up with the fixtures next to were I want to put the manifold. How much room do you need for a Manabloc ?

Comment

JC what I am getting from you is I will have to leave the existing galvy installed and run my new piping parallel to old , test , remove old , hook up to existing fixtures. I thought I would be able to place the manifold run main over , make up my t&s valve , cut open up walls and ceilings . next day tie it all together test every thing call in inspection test being wet test? I have never done this though one draw back to work for some one who does not get inspections done! I am I hearing you wrong?

Comment

To get the bloc on the wall without using 90's to enter it you will easily burn up 4 feet of wall space. You could probably get it in three feet using 90's but going with just pipe the instructions say there can't be ant torque in the pipe as it enters the bloc or they will leak, and in my experience they will leak.

Comment

JC what I am getting from you is I will have to leave the existing galvy installed and run my new piping parallel to old , test , remove old , hook up to existing fixtures. I thought I would be able to place the manifold run main over , make up my t&s valve , cut open up walls and ceilings . next day tie it all together test every thing call in inspection test being wet test? I have never done this though one draw back to work for some one who does not get inspections done! I am I hearing you wrong?
                              It doesn't matter if it's a manufactured manifold, traditional runs, copper, PEX etc.

You rough in everything just as if it was new construction, ball valve it at your connection to the old system, test & have it inspected.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X