X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney liner

i'm putting a gas fireplace in the basement and there already is vent in place, and on the first floor their is a stove connected to the chimney. I was told something about have to run a liner down the chimney does anybody know about that?
    Thank you

It depends on what kind of shape your present flue is in. If it's a really old one, it may not have a liner (or much of one) at all anymore. Chimney's need liners, especially with oil and gas fired furnaces, because the gases these furnaces emit are acidic and corrosive and can eat away at the mortar, brick and other material the chimney is made of. This can pose numerous risks to your home, including exposure to moisture, and also including releasing CO and other gases into the walls and then into the home itself. Not a pretty scenario.
    Have the flue inspected and determine if it is in need of a new liner.
    D.M.

Comment

Thanks for the help.
      Is this something that can be done relatively easy or is it something i should definitely get a pro to do

Comment

I've never personally done it, but I know the best liners are made of stainless steel, rather like a flexible tube that is installed down the stack. You may want to ask a local heating supply if they sell any products for DIY'ers, if you have no qualms about getting up and working for an extended time on your roof. It may be well worth it to simply get a pro to do it if not, simply if for nothing else but peace of mind....it's poisonous gas you are dealing with, and you want to make sure the job is done right.
        Inspecting the flue for any existing liner can be done from the roof.....most older original liners were made of clay. It may be difficult to see the condition of the entire liner however, and some contractors do this by lowering a camera down the stack and videotaping the entire length of the liner for positive identification of any trouble, and you can view this video yourself to make sure you are'nt getting a job done you may not really need.
        Sorry I can't be of further help. Good luck.
        D.M.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Get a pro to do it for you and have it inspected after. This is nothing to play with. You could die and kill your family by not having a proper vent on a gas appliance

Comment

Originally posted by Heaterman:
              Get a pro to do it for you and have it inspected after. This is nothing to play with. You could die and kill your family by not having a proper vent on a gas appliance
              I agree 100% I have seen many diy's get into trouble, "when in doubt sub it out."

Comment

Working...
              X