Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stainless steel hoses

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
    I held out on chrome too thinking people cared, nope. Most said "why don't you use the nice stainless instead?". I have not used the pex but I will give it a try. I want to use pex for dishwashers, is there a way?
    Yes. PEX is available in 3/8" supply rolls. Just like copper.

J.C.

Comment

3/8" OD? I have only seen 3/8" ID. Do you use it for dishwasher supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
        3/8" OD? I have only seen 3/8" ID. Do you use it for dishwasher supplies?
        Yes. Most do here. Eliminates the hammer arrestor requirement too.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks, Ill give it a try.

Comment

I have stopped using copper for dishwashers and ice makers for a long time now. But if it's a Lowe's job they like to sell the stainless steel hoses
            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              What is this water hammer arrestor req. ?

Comment

i have even used 1/4" pex for ice makers

Comment

J.C.
                  Why would you not have to use a WHA? Just because of the type of piping you use? I don't get it, fill me in on this one, if you will.

Comment

1/4 wirsbo is 3/8 o.d.

I'm not sure if our inspectors know what a hammer arrestor is.

J.C.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Well I am going to give the stainless steel flexes a try I installed eight of them while changing out 4 lavs for lowes and used a 12" closet flex after replacing the sub floor , closet flange , and laying some sticky titles for my grandfathers estate. And now have a small stock on the truck . Can you get a s.s. closet flex with a metal nut and if so who makes it. I have also been looking for the watts corrugated s.s water heater flexes . Using two for the heater connections and a 18" for the expansion tank since my inspectors are complaining of a lack of unions and want any brand of expansion tank installed 18" from the inlet of the heater . So the idea is to use one 3/4" pro press tee with two male adaptors with one flex connecting to the heater , strap the expansion to the wall and connect it with the other flex and one pro press male adaptor for the hot and connect with corrugated s.s. flex this way everyone is happy . Do you guys have any input as I have never used this stuff but am always open to new ways of doing my job.

Comment

Rule of thumb: If it's a product that any home owner can install with nothing more than a pair of pliers than no, I don't use it

we use pex and chrome supplies 99% of the time. I don't trust the ss hoses and think they look like amateur crap, especially hacked under a pedestal lav.
                        Then there is the cost issue.

Rant time: Here is yet another DIY target product that takes the trade down yet another notch. Sure, no more measuring and bending and cutting. Probably saves almost 10 minutes and look Ma, all's I needed was a pair of pump pliers. Sure, they are a little long so I done curled it up like a pigs tail And now you could never even tell that the work was done by a plumber instead of any fool with a pair of pliers.

I think I'll just start stocking the truck with radiator hose and duct tape
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                          Why would you not have to use a WHA? Just because of the type of piping you use? I don't get it, fill me in on this one, if you will.
                          Without all of the hullabaloo interpretation, hard supply pipe, solenoid quick closing valve, hammer arrestor required.

Sorry, missed the question awhile back.

J.C.

Comment

How have you guys been I have been pretty busy with Lowe's work internet work company was able to pay its bills and then some . How has work load been for you guys.

Comment

The 09 IPC has removed the WHA requirement for quick closing valves
                              sigpic

Comment

clipper, a word of advise. although we use ss braided flexes for sinks, toilets, washing machine hoses, dishwasher hoses. i no longer use them for water heater flexes. after anywhere from a couple years to 5 years, they tend to develop a leak at the crimp connector of the hose.

typically it's only the hot side. my take on it is the hose is subjected to extreme heat at the hot outlet and the hose end gets too soft. it finally gives way at the crimp connector.

we still use the copper 3/4'' fip corrugated flexes and for the last couple years the more forgiving and easier to flex stainless corrugated flexes. very similar to csst without the yellow cover.

very hard to find a brass nut-7/8'' toilet connector. i still have them in 1 brand, but the majority are a plastic nut.

also brass craft makes a stainless look-a-like polymer flex. it's actually a good design as stainless will corrode when exposed to cleaning products found inside of kitchen cabinets, sink cabinets. once they start to corrode, they will pop the rubber inner hose and burst.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X