X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stainless steel hoses

That is what I was talking about the corrugated stainless steel . Is this all you use and no Chrome supplies ? Do you loop these flex lines when the valve is roughed in too close to the tank? When installing these is hand tight really all you need?

Comment

CaliWood requires them at the water heater. Why would anyone else choose to use them?

J.C.

Comment

right now i have 18'' and 24'' connectors. typically 1 or the other works without an issue. if need be you can loop them. normally i can roll them up and work them back down without any sharp bends.

the connector uses a modified hose washer. so snugging them up by hand, then a good 1/2-1 turn with a crescent will secure it properly. too tight and you'll shear off the washer in the pipe nipple.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Well just got a call from lowes's to look at a heater replacement I ll see if I can find these at the supply house and give them a try tomorrow.

Comment

Around here all water heaters are hard piped. I only use ProPress now. Two FIPxPP on the nipples, two PP slip couplings, PP ball valve if needed. Guaranteed to never leak and takes all of 5 minutes with little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              Around here all water heaters are hard piped. I only use ProPress now. Two FIPxPP on the nipples, two PP slip couplings, PP ball valve if needed. Guaranteed to never leak and takes all of 5 minutes with little effort.
              Hard piped without any type of union?
              I don't bite my finger nails, I KNOW when payday is, and yes, it can run uphill when it gets blocked(or you install a grinder pump) so HA!!!!

Comment

I never bother with unions. Waste of money. figure the heater will last at least 10 years and the new one may or may not line up with the old piping so why bother.
                sigpic

Comment

I never use unions on a water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER01 View Post
                    Hard piped without any type of union?
                    I've never installed a union on a water heater, ever. I cut them out all the time though and throw them in my scrap bin!

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      I've never installed a union on a water heater, ever. I cut them out all the time though and throw them in my scrap bin!
                      I don't use them for the simple reason it makes it easier for the home owner to NOT pick up the phone and call a Plumber to replace their W/H.

Comment

Well I have never installed them in ten years I have been in plumbing and now that I am pulling permits and setting up inspections I have inspectors that want unions . And flexes achieve that requirement and are cheaper than pro press unions . I don't know how much I will like how it looks but the reality is this is Lowe's work and Lowe's work only pays so much and I still have to meet code. They recommended I use shark bites but I would rather try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          Well I have never installed them in ten years I have been in plumbing and now that I am pulling permits and setting up inspections I have inspectors that want unions . And flexes achieve that requirement and are cheaper than pro press unions . I don't know how much I will like how it looks but the reality is this is Lowe's work and Lowe's work only pays so much and I still have to meet code. They recommended I use shark bites but I would rather try this.
                          Inspectors are such stupid idiots at times.

Had a sit down with a couple of new "inspectors" a few months back. Discussing a job, code, and what their interpretation would be as I only want to do things once. They literally, and I'm not kidding, looked like deer in headlights. They had no idea of the simplest of plumbing codes.

And they're also ELECTRICAL INSPECTORS. So you might be thinking, maybe they're excellent at that and just have been given Plumbing because the area is short-handed.

Nope. One of my other jobs is in their area. The owner of the house is a former electrical inspector for another nearby area. He asked me what I thought about them and I told him they were lost on plumbing. He said they were no better on electrical. Just didn't know anything.

I have no idea how TWO of these stupid m'fers are allowed to take state salaries & benefits paid for by taxes. They should be fired and the people that hired them should be publicly humiliated and fired also.

J.C.

Comment

here is a question for you J.C. when you install a moen posi temp t&s valve or similar type valve do you also install a tempering valve or Thermostatic valve before the pressure balance valve? I always thought if it was pressure balance valve and you set the temp. limit stop at 120 you were good to go but have since found out that you need a thermostatic valve installed as well and the temp. limit stop does not cut it . and was told some inspectors will be ok but this inspector told me he would not pass it and that he was a former expert witness and plumbers have lost it all in court over this!

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                              here is a question for you J.C. when you install a moen posi temp t&s valve or similar type valve do you also install a tempering valve or Thermostatic valve before the pressure balance valve? I always thought if it was pressure balance valve and you set the temp. limit stop at 120 you were good to go but have since found out that you need a thermostatic valve installed as well and the temp. limit stop does not cut it . and was told some inspectors will be ok but this inspector told me he would not pass it and that he was a former expert witness and plumbers have lost it all in court over this!
                              What are all of these fancy words like:

Moen Posi Temp?
                              Thermostatic Valve?
                              Pressure Balance Valve?

So much to learn.

J.C.

Comment

Get out of here J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X