Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stainless steel hoses

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
    Well I have never installed them in ten years I have been in plumbing and now that I am pulling permits and setting up inspections I have inspectors that want unions . And flexes achieve that requirement and are cheaper than pro press unions . I don't know how much I will like how it looks but the reality is this is Lowe's work and Lowe's work only pays so much and I still have to meet code. They recommended I use shark bites but I would rather try this.
    Have the inspector show you where unions are required. If he still want's them make sure he pays for them

You know that a lot of local inspectors are not plumbers and the only education they get is at a once a year seminar. Everything else they pick up from us or book reading. Quite a few of them are incapable of reading and properly interpreting the code. So should you argue over 15 dollars worth of fittings? Hell yes you should because if you don't the whole thing will snowball to the point where the inspectors are not only misinterpreting the code, they are making it up as they go. The inspectors in my area don't necessarily like me, but they damn well respect me because they know I will take the issue to the State board if I have to. Of course, that I am the guy that gives the license renewal seminars doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by NHMaster3015; 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
      here is a question for you J.C. when you install a moen posi temp t&s valve or similar type valve do you also install a tempering valve or Thermostatic valve before the pressure balance valve? I always thought if it was pressure balance valve and you set the temp. limit stop at 120 you were good to go but have since found out that you need a thermostatic valve installed as well and the temp. limit stop does not cut it . and was told some inspectors will be ok but this inspector told me he would not pass it and that he was a former expert witness and plumbers have lost it all in court over this!
      I can only expound on my area.

ANY municipality is allowed to supercede the state accepted code. For instance, the state accepted code for minimum wall thickness in copper water distribution might be Type M hard copper. The state allows for them to require Type L if they want.

I don't necessarily agree with this as it can give me 100 codes to keep track of not to mention the phone calls. What these local areas don't do and are required too is have a written policy of code change available before enforcement can occur.

So, for example, if a person were to pipe in Type M and the inspector says we require Type L here, and the area does not have a written policy on that day available, it cannot be enforced. Period.

Your inspector saying how he's been an expert witness with this that or the other doesn't mean much to me. More of his ego in my opinion. He can't overrule the code without written local amendments and approvals.

Some follow the rule of don't piss off the inspector. Piss on the inspector. I've gotten absolutely nowhere being right and polite.

J.C.

Comment

NHMaster, here in Mn. they just passed a new requirement for our state inspectors. They MUST be licensed experienced plumbers. I Like it!

Comment

don't know about the rest of the country, but unions are required here in calif and the jurisdictions under the upc.

how did you ever do it with threaded pipe

upc 609.5 unions. unions shall be installed in the water supply piping within 12'' of regulating equipment, water heating,conditioning tanks, and similar equipment that may require service by removal, or replacement in a manner that will facilitate its ready removal.

irc 2801.3

remember that the codes are the minimum requirements / standards.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Not required here in Nunya. And they are garbage anyway.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Not required here in Nunya. And they are garbage anyway.

J.C.
              what code do you use?

no one says to use a dielectric which doesn't really work anyways.

i have both mip and fip x c unions in propress and solder.

how did you ever work with screw pipe.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                what code do you use?

no one says to use a dielectric which doesn't really work anyways.

i have both mip and fip x c unions in propress and solder.

how did you ever work with screw pipe.

rick.
                We spun the water heater round and round then repiped the whole house from the other side.

That was then. This is now. Unions & dielectrics=junk to be maintained and give a problem.

Wait, what am I thinking? That's what I'm supposed to do in todays times. Put in unions, dielectrics, 20ga. traps, flex connectors that leak at the 3/8" swivel etc.

I'm such a bad businessman.....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  NHMaster, here in Mn. they just passed a new requirement for our state inspectors. They MUST be licensed experienced plumbers. I Like it!

I like it also but I was told that it is "unconstitutional (state)" to require licensed inspectors.
                  sigpic

Comment

We have the dielectric requirement here also but it does not specify "union" so, if you pipe copper to the tank nipples, that takes of the dielectric end of things. Naturally, if you are piping with threaded pipe a union is going to be needed but who has piped a tank with threaded pipe in the last 60 years?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      I've never installed a union on a water heater, ever. I cut them out all the time though and throw them in my scrap bin!
                      I was just curious, I never use a dielectric or copper union or galv. union, I've always used the copper flex lines, tried the stainless steel braided lines I think three times and all three times had to change them out
                      I don't bite my finger nails, I KNOW when payday is, and yes, it can run uphill when it gets blocked(or you install a grinder pump) so HA!!!!

Comment

Well they worked good so far . Tomorrow I have one were expansion tanks are required on public water supply and see how that works out.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X