X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless steel hoses

I was in the supply house the other day and asked the guy behind the counter if many plumbers used the stainless steel hoses for faucets and toilets? It shocked me but he said a lot of plumbers are buying them. Do any of you use these? I have always used a pex flex.

Re: stainless steel hoses

that's all i have used the last 15 years or so. that's all i see out here. haven't seen pex risers yet and it's been longer than i can remember seeing spaghetti.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

PEX supplies.

39 cents vs. 3 or more dollars. Installed hundreds or maybe thousands. Don't recall 1 callback for even a weep. I do check well when installed though.

I've also never been to a job where a PEX riser someone else installed correctly is giving any problems. Seems I remember a time or two where someone didn't tighten the lavatory nuts hardly any causing a drip. That's about it.

In short, simple to install, less expensive, lasts a long time (I've honestly never encountered a failed one. Never a split or head separation. Nothing) and no callbacks.

If someone has seen problems, please post as I would need to evaluate a possible change.

Business wise, maybe I should install the stainless flexes. Rubber in them for chlorine to effect, chemicals could harm them, and the 3/8" weep at the swivel joint could all give me more calls.

But a homeowner here is more likely to replace a stainless flex on their own and I'm out again.

Decisions, decisions.....

J.C.

Comment

SS for Me . Are You bending chrome?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Have in the past. Not in a good while though.

J.C.

Comment

Pex risers here too. Though for toilets my company uses the SS no bursts. I'd rather bend chrome where it's visible
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

15 years that s not bad. Never used chrome only some 3/8" extensions. The only thing I did not like with the pex and I have used it for 10 years is after you bend it to fit to the stop if you are connecting to c.p.v.c. the pex has more bending force trying to get back to straight and almost wants to push the valve around. I may look in to the S.S. flex. But like JC I don't like the whole plastic nut on the ballcock shank thing. Can you get them with brass nuts? Don't people give you a hard time when it is used for a toilet?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                15 years that s not bad. Never used chrome only some 3/8" extensions. The only thing I did not like with the pex and I have used it for 10 years is after you bend it to fit to the stop if you are connecting to c.p.v.c. the pex has more bending force trying to get back to straight and almost wants to push the valve around. I may look in to the S.S. flex. But like JC I don't like the whole plastic nut on the ballcock shank thing. Can you get them with brass nuts? Don't people give you a hard time when it is used for a toilet?
                You can get them with a chromed nut. I find that people don't give it a second thought. You know who notices? Plumbers. That's about it.

I held on to chrome for awhile thinking people cared when exposed on toilets or pedestals. People didn't care. Plus I'd have a weeper now and again that would really piss me off.

Started PEXing all the supplies and no-one has ever noticed, questioned, or asked for it to be changed.

On a toilet, it does not look any better or worse to me than chrome. I think the flexes look the worst.

I do think chrome looks better on a pedestal, but can't really prove it to perform better. And I hate callbacks.

J.C.

Comment

do you use it with c.p.v.c ?

Comment

do you use it with c.p.v.c ?
                    CPVC here in residences/commercial is pretty much non-existent. I dare say less than 1/2 of a percent.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM.

Comment

all copper?

Comment

all copper?
                        Copper & PEX. PEX often with a copper stub.

What about where you are?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

c.p.v.c , copper on town water mostly , steel in the city and surrounding towns
                          Pex near delaware , water treatment guys love p.v.c . I don't like how you are really so pose 24 hr for the glue to set up but never have the chance . I would just like to get into some thing else like pex .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post

Yes I'm still bending chrome 1/2'' & 3/8'' But 1/2'' is getting less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              You can get them with a chromed nut. I find that people don't give it a second thought. You know who notices? Plumbers. That's about it.

I held on to chrome for awhile thinking people cared when exposed on toilets or pedestals. People didn't care. Plus I'd have a weeper now and again that would really piss me off.

Started PEXing all the supplies and no-one has ever noticed, questioned, or asked for it to be changed.

On a toilet, it does not look any better or worse to me than chrome. I think the flexes look the worst.

I do think chrome looks better on a pedestal, but can't really prove it to perform better. And I hate callbacks.

J.C.
                              I held out on chrome too thinking people cared, nope. Most said "why don't you use the nice stainless instead?". I have not used the pex but I will give it a try. I want to use pex for dishwashers, is there a way?

Comment

Working...
                              X