X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change to 2lb nat gas system

And they think this will make it all better ?
    Attached Files

Comment

NFPA-54 Had to make new rules for that pipe for this years code book . They changed nothing for iron pipe and copper for now I will stick to copper. That just scares me . And hey I can get a little more use out of the propress
      Attached Files

Comment

What is up with the saddle!!!? Scary.

It it approved up to 5 lbs. inside or underground. I have been using it for about 5 years without one leak, honestly. I am a union guy and was against it also along with Wirsbo water piping until I tried it. It was originally used in airplane fuel lines from the 60's. FAA codes are tighter than the NFPA. Don't fight what works just because it is easy.

Comment

That is not a saddle it is a bonding clamp that is now required under new nfpa-54 code. This is to protect the c.s.s.t. from pin holes from "indirect" lightning strikes Yea not even direct strikes! How would you like to get pinholes in your gas lines after a thunder storm And a 6 awg wire is going to save you?

Comment

just because come one did not protect the pipe that does not mean it bad to use .if its put in right there is nothing wrong with it .if you can run a new black pipe for a low pressure line then that would be better and safer the upping the pressure of the other line .if you did not do the other line i would not trust it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Besides the availability of 2lb gas, you will also need to get permission from the gas utility. They usually are not real fond of letting 2lb into residential properties for liability reasons. BTW thanks for the CSST slam. I would not use that crap anywhere. There ain't a good enough liability plan on the face of the earth to cover it.
              sigpic

Comment

I like the idea of the stuff I just don't trust 6 awg "bonding" wire
                our gas is clean no problems with copper so for now it is the way to go pro-press or flare where needed. It may not be as easy to bend as c.s.s.t. but what can you do you can put lightning arresters on well pumps do they work ?
                But a well pump can not kill the family Nor can pex and that I will use. The gas school instructors tell me that up in Minnesota 2lb has been in use for a long time now and the gas companys up there go to the first tee and install a regulator and set it a 9" w.c. that is kinda the idea I was using here in this post. But I guess you guys don't get to use the 2lb option much?
                Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  I like the idea of the stuff I just don't trust 6 awg "bonding" wire
                  our gas is clean no problems with copper so for now it is the way to go pro-press or flare where needed. It may not be as easy to bend as c.s.s.t. but what can you do you can put lightning arresters on well pumps do they work ?
                  But a well pump can not kill the family Nor can pex and that I will use. The gas school instructors tell me that up in Minnesota 2lb has been in use for a long time now and the gas companys up there go to the first tee and install a regulator and set it a 9" w.c. that is kinda the idea I was using here in this post. But I guess you guys don't get two use the 2lb option much?
                  I have not or seen copper in gas piping in the 4 states I have worked in. I know it is leagle in some jurisdictions. I am surprised Propress is leagle because it uses a rubber seal instead of a mechanical joint. I would think if you could use soft copper it would be faster and better with less joints and competative with CCST. I am not aware of any families in our area that have died because of CCST (especially on an existing tie in). I know on remodels if you bid 2lb. gas with new regulators I would beat you 99% of the time and make more money doing CCST, copper or iron pipe with a new dedicated main tied into the meter to the new fixtures.

Comment

That is just it the idea is you are leaving the existing piping like it is because after the regulator the pressure is set at 9"w.c. and the existing 1/4lb system will work like it always has and the trunk can now deliver more gas than it could before. new lines can be added and new smaller copper ones or what ever you want to use. I just don't understand the need for regulators at every appliance?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                      That is just it the idea is you are leaving the existing piping like it is because after the regulator the pressure is set at 9"w.c. and the existing 1/4lb system will work like it always has and the trunk can now deliver more gas than it could before. new lines can be added and new smaller copper ones or what ever you want to use. I just don't understand the need for regulators at every appliance?
                      That would work good if you had a long run to the first outlet.

Comment

21' from meter to first tee that tee serves the gas log small nipple then 90 going to mech. room 6' then 90 dropping down 6' to heater and furnace and that is their whole 1/4 lb system. from that first tee you have in total 17' of 1/2" going to the gas log.

Comment

Working...
                        X