X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to 2lb nat gas system

Do any of you guys get into changing old 1/4 nat gas systems over to 2lb?

Re: Change to 2lb nat gas system

never changed it, just installed it from the beginning. we would fab and install up to 4'' ips. beyound that it either went to medium pressure or was welded.

other than regulators and venting. all we needed was a letter from the gas company and proper testing and warning tags,

makes for a much smaller gas main and faster install because of that.

i wouldn't waste my time for anything 2'' and under at this point.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have a job that the new home owners want to install a gas range and grill on their deck. They only have a 1" main and the range puts them over what the 1" will handle so I have been taking a gas class for the last month since I have been getting so much city work and every thing is gas and old and it has been 6 years since I gone thru a gas class. The guys that teach the class worked for the local gas company since the sixties and told me to call the gas company and see if 2lb is available in the area if so install a 2lb regulator then the 1" main can handle the gas and size two lines for the extra appliances! This really opens the door to adding gas appliances to an older 1/4 lb system.

Comment

remember that your appliance stubs will all need a regulator since i doubt the footage savings will allow for just 1 regulator.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I always end up putting secondary regulators on any system over .5 PSI. By the time you do all of the regulators it is cheaper to just increase the yard line size where necessary but each situation is different for sure

Comment

The regulator would go before the 1st tee all existing piping is already sized to 1/4 lb and regulator need to be adjusted down to 9" or 8" w.c. on initial start up. Am I not understanding what you are saying?

Comment

what is the footage from the meter to the first tee?

i doubt that it's going to be enough to add the extra demand with your new fixtures.

can you draw an isometric with footage and btu's and post it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have to do that to see what the new line will be to price it out. But that is going to have to be tomorrow as it aint 10:00 here. seeya

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  The regulator would go before the 1st tee all existing piping is already sized to 1/4 lb and regulator need to be adjusted down to 9" or 8" w.c. on initial start up. Am I not understanding what you are saying?
                  Anytime I install a higher then a .5 PSI system (mostly single and 2 stage LP systems but would do it with Nat gas as well) I install secondary regulators at every device to protect the individual appliances in the event of a primary regulator failure.

Comment

Well I can't load the the drawing I tried it three times.

Comment

take a photo of it and post it that way

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I 'll try that tonight getting ready for a gas heater install in the city. Do any of you need to reline chimneys out there I is up the plumber here to determine I have never seen a bad one do you guys have any pictures ? This city work is a new animal to me all my time has been spent up in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          I have a job that the new home owners want to install a gas range and grill on their deck. They only have a 1" main and the range puts them over what the 1" will handle so I have been taking a gas class for the last month since I have been getting so much city work and every thing is gas and old and it has been 6 years since I gone thru a gas class. The guys that teach the class worked for the local gas company since the sixties and told me to call the gas company and see if 2lb is available in the area if so install a 2lb regulator then the 1" main can handle the gas and size two lines for the extra appliances! This really opens the door to adding gas appliances to an older 1/4 lb system.
                          It is easier sometimes to just bring in a new 3/4 or 1/2" line off the meter with Trac Pipe and run it to the new fixtures then converting to 2lb.

Comment

we dont work residential but if the pressure is over 1lb we weld it in side a building . how about running gastite
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You mean this stuff?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X