Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: f@&$ pellet stoves

Originally posted by henneca View Post
    Hope this works. I'm adding 3 photos of my stove and fuel. As you can see, the stove is sitting atop a hearth pad (hubby and my first tile job). The hard wood flooring was also another project hubby tackled in 2007.

Have to make a correction from earlier. We purchased the stove in Spring 2008 (not 2007). Sorry about that. Found the photos just now in the 2008 files.

But, as you can see, the stove sits directly in front of the window and curtains. The only hot part of the stove is directly in front. This is definitely not a good choice for families with young children who like to touch everything. The part in the back is completely cool. The stove can sit 2 inches away from a wall.

The tub you see is where we store our fuel and restock from our garage when it gets low, even in the crappy winter.

Cathy
    Assistant to Josh
    If you dont mind what is the make and model # if you remember thanks
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Cathy, as Josh's assistant aren't you in charge of fixing his typos?

Sorry Josh-don't ban me!
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

The stove we have in the photo is a QuadraFire Classic Bay (CB) 1200. This was the original stove the company made.

Web site: www.quadrafire.com

Mrs.SeatDown,

Sorry, Not seeing anything out of the ordinary, except the word "em" for them. Depending on the writing style being used, that would be considered ok, except, I think an apostrophy before would make it better.

'em

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Good use for the corn = still= keep ya real warm!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

OK. Mrs.SeatDown, found the error. Used "here" instead of her in the first post.

The refuse of the stove looks like a burned rice cake that we kick out about twice a day. When you use the corn, it leaves a larger rice cake. With the wood pellets alone, you get little cake and more dust in the pan in the bottom of the unit. We empty that pan about once a week.

But, with the corn it burns longer and hotter. You have to make sure the stove can burn corn. We have to burn in a 50/50 mix as our stove will not burn just corn. Some stoves allow you to burn just corn. That would have saved us even MORE money.

Cathy

Comment

since were showing pictures of our heating units,

here is ours, it is 31 years old, when we lived in Montana we added the stove pipe oven, and the magic heat unit on the stove pipe, it nearly doubles the heat out of the stove,
              when we moved to the farm we heated with it exclusively the first few years, then we did put in the LP furnace, and that was nice as you did not have to worry about things freezing up when one was gone,

I have burnt corn in the stove, one winter blizzard we ran low on wood and I went over the granary and brought a few buckets of corn and used that until I could get more wood cut, ( I do not rasie corn any more so unless I buy it, wood is cheaper for me),
              it burns much like coal,

normally we burn elm in the stove, (yes it is poor heating wood but it is avable in our area as the old farm wind breaks were mostly Chinese elm, it will grow in our area), I have burnt pine in Montana, and cotton wood from the river, but elm has less creosote in it, but is lot of ash with it,

some times running the fan on the furnace is good as it will help move the air around the house,

the picture was taken after we put in the wood floor a few years ago, the old fir floor under it was in poor shape.
              Attached Files
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                so moved into a rental last year in one of the warmer parts of Colorado. I saw the pellet stove and for some reason iwas sold. Small three bed one bath house and the stove was the primary heat with back up electric baseboard (that shouldve been my first clue) anyway the coldest winter colorado has in years comes around and I'm goon thru a bag of pellets a day. Stove is ibln the living room so it feels like a sauna while I'm trying to enjoy my dancing with the stars j/k and even other room is freezing. Runs out of pellets during the night and is colder than he'll in themornin. Absolutely no consistency. Not toentiom all the error codes and the cleaning and ive never seem south dust in a house in my life although not quite sure I can attribute that to the stove but that's what suspect is. Anyway five dollars a day plus all the trouble plus a 100 plus electric bill for the secondary heat. Never again. Imiss a boiler and I can't wait to own take ur pellet stove and shove it if I wantd to go camping I'd at least go outside. I well lesson learned. Any thoughts or am ijust retarded. Excuse the typos I'm sending this from my phone
                I have a pellet stove with electric back-up also. 2400 sq' house in North Idaho and I have burned 350.00 (a little over a ton and a half)in pellets since October. Electric bill with electric water heater and 6 people is never over 120.00. My stove never runs above the lowest setting. I got off the boiler and baseboard propane heat and water maker. It is a lot more to run for me.

Comment

I have a MUCH smaller home.

Brick ranch 1274 square feet with full basement. Great room stays in the 80's all winter and the rest of the upstairs 72. The basement stays 60-65 at the same time. We're looking at putting a smaller pellet stove in the basement to keep it warm as well. If we do, the stove won't run as much upstairs.

Cathy

By the way...BHD...that tile job of your's is BEAUTIFUL!

Comment

thank you Cathy

doing the tile was a lot of fun. it is a natural slate, and we picked it up at home depot, but ever tile was different and interesting, we lay ed out the basic idea on the floor, and put the more colorfull up on the walls and plain ones on the floor under and behind the stove,

the floor I put down a mud bed reinforced with some chicken wire, to get the height the same as the hardwood, and the walls was on cement board, the walls were spaced out, it is hard to see on the upper walls but there is venting behind at the base one can see there is no mortar on where the tile and floor meet, there is nearly no heat on the floor, but the walls can get warm, never to hot to touch but if you are not watching it real close and (most of the time when starting it from cold, some times it will get going a little faster than one thinks it should, but when it is running it is nearly shut down as (where the rust is) the tea kettle we set on the stove hardly ever boils but will steam some and then drips out of the lid, the chimney is hardly ever over 200 as the magic heat pulls most of the heat out of the flue, the oven if the door is closed may read 300 to 350 but most of the time less, when the kids were home, wife baked a lot of home made bread, she ground the wheat, and baked fresh bread, nearly ever week for the family, and many times she would use the "granny oven" (stove pipe oven) to bake a few loafs, and if she wanted to slow cook some thing she would put the dutch oven on the stove and cook things on it,

I am glad the heating season is over with now,

just as a side note: my daughter uses a wood cook stove now for a few years, (during this summer they will use a LP now, as that is what there "new" house has. (currently that is all they have is the wood cook stove), the gas line, (the house was broke into and some of the copper line was stole), the line needs to caped off, as they currently will not need what was fed by that line, (I do not know if there propane tank has any in it or not, it has a pad lock on it and never looked under the cover),
                    and need to move the wood heating stove in to there "new" house, that was built in 1928, the house never has had a furnace, only wood heat, (some one stole it as well out of the house), (and it has never had any real plumbing in it), even the kitchen sink only has a bucket under it, and at one time had a hand pump for water to it, currently no water to the kitchen sink, have a barrel in the porch for washing water and if they want hot water, they heat the water on the wood stove, and , and for toilet use the out house,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

a friend of mine has a large log home in Maine and he heats it with a pellet stove so it must be the house that needs insulation or better windows
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have two pellet stoves that heat my house. Have a Buderus oil fired boiler with the logamatic control and all the bells and whistles. Even so, runs about 12 gallons of oil per day when it's real cold up here so that's about 36 bucks a day give or take. The pellet stoves each go through a bag a day @ 5 bucks a bag so they save me a whole pile of money. Easy to maintain. Much easier than wood.
                        sigpic

Comment

I just installed my first Logamatic today

I do not have personal experience with pellet stoves, but have talk with several people about it

I'm told that the quality of the pellets makes a significant difference.

There are a few places here that sell pellets and stoves, but supposedly onlt one of the suppliers sells pellets that burn well and don't cause problems with with stoves.

Comment

Working...
                          X