X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f@&$ pellet stoves

so moved into a rental last year in one of the warmer parts of Colorado. I saw the pellet stove and for some reason iwas sold. Small three bed one bath house and the stove was the primary heat with back up electric baseboard (that shouldve been my first clue) anyway the coldest winter colorado has in years comes around and I'm goon thru a bag of pellets a day. Stove is ibln the living room so it feels like a sauna while I'm trying to enjoy my dancing with the stars j/k and even other room is freezing. Runs out of pellets during the night and is colder than he'll in themornin. Absolutely no consistency. Not toentiom all the error codes and the cleaning and ive never seem south dust in a house in my life although not quite sure I can attribute that to the stove but that's what suspect is. Anyway five dollars a day plus all the trouble plus a 100 plus electric bill for the secondary heat. Never again. Imiss a boiler and I can't wait to own take ur pellet stove and shove it if I wantd to go camping I'd at least go outside. I well lesson learned. Any thoughts or am ijust retarded. Excuse the typos I'm sending this from my phone

Re: f@&$ pellet stoves

Don't have one ,but they ran outa pellets for everyone, 2 years ago ! 40 years ago I heated with wood in Mass. Welded up a 40 H.P. splitter. Old morris Minor engine. Vickers 2000 psi at 12 G.P.M.I could sever a 10" oak side ways to show off.!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You have to understand how to use your stove to use it well. My hubby and I have had our stove since 2007. Like our forced-air heat furnace, our stove runs off a thermostat.

House: Ranch with 3 bedrooms in Elyria (by Ridge)

Agreed that Elyria does not get as cold as Colorado, we do go through our share of wood pellets. But, we also use shelled corn (feed corn) to heat the house. The living room does get warmer, probably in the 80's range. Our hallway and bedrooms down the hall all stay at a warm 72 degrees all winter long.

This was our first full winter of using our fueling supply. Used about 2 tons of wood pellets and 2 tons of corn in a 50/50 mix. Always keeping a supply in the house and on hand. We both keep the stove filled and cleaned. Yes, it does take more work to keep it cleaned. And, yes, we do get more dust than from just the furnace.

The positive on this one? Our natural gas costs have gone WAY down compared to using our supply.

Just giving you another perspective on the pellet stove. We wouldn't go back to the way we were before. Natural gas prices here have been on average for my home $300 a month during the winter cold.

The only regret is that we didn't get the higher model that allows other natural products to be burned, like soy or cherry pits, etc. I've done intensive research into the stoves.

Cathy
      Assistant to Josh

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

been using our wood stove to heat with for over 30 years, it is not a pellet stove, but uses logs,

on the wood stoves, and the houses I have lived in, one has to make the house use the heat, cut and put in vents between rooms if nessarly, one room that was used as a bed room we put in a room to room fan with a line voltage thermostat, and it pulls off the ceiling and into the other room, the thermostate is set on 80, in the same room we have a grate in the ceiling so the heat can rise upstairs into the hall way, (and there was a grate in the living room to one of the upstairs rooms put in some time soon after the house was built, to let heat up,

and in the process we have made the house either to close off so not to heat some rooms or to open it up so the heat flows from room to room,

yes we have a propane high efficiency furnace as well, but the wood heat is so much nicer heat, with the infrared heat waves, we hardly use the LP unit unless were gone,

buy your pellets in the summer when there cheaper,

many around here use the corn stoves, (the corn stoves will burn pellets as well, not all pellet stoves will burn corn tho), (sad when a food product is so cheap one can burn it economically and lower cost than a heating fuel),

the biggest draw back of pellet/corn stoves is you still need electricity to operate them, and when the power is out, they do not work,
        Last edited by BHD; 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Sorry. Forgot to add. We have corner fans in the entryway to our hallway as the stove hits the way that should be the entry to the bedrooms/hallway. Our master bedroom has 2 entrances. The back entrance allows for the heat (and cold) to circulate through the kitchen and a second fan lives in the entry from the kitchen back into the living/dining room. The fans live in the upper corner of the entry so they do not impede our movements at all.

This year, our pellet and corn mix cost us approximately 800 bucks! And we started running the stove here in September and used it until the middle of May.

Positive about this thing is when there's a damp and rainy day over the summer, the stove can be kicked on and take that dampness right out!

Yes, buy ahead of time. We will be ordering and paying for our 2 tons of pellet again over the summer and we use half our garage for storage.

Cathy

Comment

henneca

you appear well read, knowledgeable, intelligent and articulate. how did you get here? breid..........

Comment

Before starting work here at Ridge, I had the opportunity to go back to school for my Bachelor's Degree. Got it in English, with a focus in writing. One of my classes was Magazine (or Feature) Writing. That was the same semester we put our pellet stove in. So, my professor allowed me to use the research and interviewing I had done prior to buying the stove in my articles.

Instead of 1 major article, I ended up with 4 (1 major and 3 minor) articles on this subject.

I would be more than happy to share with you (or anyone else reading). Just PM me with your email address and I will forward.

Granted, the information is dated, but pretty accurate. Also has photos of my stove in it.

Would have loved to have sold it to a magazine, but no one I submitted to was interested (looked at alternative heating-type magazines). This heating is considered alterative fuel or biofuels.

Plus, with my enjoyment of numbers (worked for Audit firm once), I am very numbers-oriented and watch numbers as you probably noticed in my comments.

Cathy
              Assistant to Josh

Comment

So I didn't actually answer your question. At the time I graduated college (Spring 2008), that's when the economy "crashed." I live about 3 miles from Ridge and came across this position by accident.

Very interesting working for Josh (and Sarah and Rob T with locating).

So, that's how I came here. I'll be here 2 years in July. Getting to use my writing and editing skills with our product manuals, etc.

Cathy

Comment

Re: henneca

A breath of fresh air ey

I would say about 95% of the folks on this board are at least knowledgeable and intelligent... and well read.. shoot.. with reading the forum we probably read more words per day than most scholars. Now Articulate.. I couldn't agree more ...

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  you appear well read, knowledgeable, intelligent and articulate. how did you get here? breid..........

Comment

BTW.. as soon as I saw this thread title this morning I told Cathy... here answer was... yeah I know... I already replied. She's definitely passionate about running the stove. Has saved em a lot of money so far.

Comment

I have a Bryant forced air furnace in the basement for the whole house. I also have a Rinnai natural gas heater on the first floor in the dining room.
                      I have a soap stone wood stove in the living room which I heat the entire house for most of the winter. I go through about two cords of wood which I cut myself and doesn't cost me a dime.
                      I wouldn't trade the feeling of the wood heat for anything, it's perfect.
                      Late at night when the wood stove starts dying down the Rinnai will kick on at about 67 degrees until I get up in the morning and stoke the wood stove.
                      We've hardly ever turned on the Bryant and it does get cold here in northern Minnesota, many days well below zero.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                        Anyway five dollars a day plus all the trouble plus a 100 plus electric bill for the secondary heat.
                        Our heating oil bill is about $600 a month during January/February ($20 a day) for 2200 square feet (~$3.30 a gallon).

Comment

I'd have to freeze.

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Our heating oil bill is about $600 a month during January/February ($20 a day) for 2200 square feet (~$3.30 a gallon).
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                            so moved into a rental last year in one of the warmer parts of Colorado. I saw the pellet stove and for some reason iwas sold. Small three bed one bath house and the stove was the primary heat with back up electric baseboard (that shouldve been my first clue) anyway the coldest winter colorado has in years comes around and I'm goon thru a bag of pellets a day. Stove is ibln the living room so it feels like a sauna while I'm trying to enjoy my dancing with the stars j/k and even other room is freezing. Runs out of pellets during the night and is colder than he'll in themornin. Absolutely no consistency. Not toentiom all the error codes and the cleaning and ive never seem south dust in a house in my life although not quite sure I can attribute that to the stove but that's what suspect is. Anyway five dollars a day plus all the trouble plus a 100 plus electric bill for the secondary heat. Never again. Imiss a boiler and I can't wait to own take ur pellet stove and shove it if I wantd to go camping I'd at least go outside. I well lesson learned. Any thoughts or am ijust retarded. Excuse the typos I'm sending this from my phone
                            is there any insulation in the house?
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hope this works. I'm adding 3 photos of my stove and fuel. As you can see, the stove is sitting atop a hearth pad (hubby and my first tile job). The hard wood flooring was also another project hubby tackled in 2007.

Have to make a correction from earlier. We purchased the stove in Spring 2008 (not 2007). Sorry about that. Found the photos just now in the 2008 files.

But, as you can see, the stove sits directly in front of the window and curtains. The only hot part of the stove is directly in front. This is definitely not a good choice for families with young children who like to touch everything. The part in the back is completely cool. The stove can sit 2 inches away from a wall.

The tub you see is where we store our fuel and restock from our garage when it gets low, even in the crappy winter.

Cathy
                              Assistant to Josh
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X