X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What no chimney liner ?

Replaced a 40 gallon gas heater today what a mess! Called the inspector this morning to let him know what was going on said he would call me to see how I was doing at 1:30 to see if he should come over to look at the heater. Well I go to buy a post card and it took 1hr and 30min not including drive time and time wasted looking for a stupid parking space! Get out of go pick up the heater and finally get there remove some 3" smoke pipe to get my inspection mirror in to check out the chimney liner and what I find pieces of brick in the smoke pipe cant get a good look so I break open the chimney and wtf no liner at all ! Get this as soon as I see this he come the inspector walking down the basement steps! to make a long story short he ok ed the heater and wants a call after the chimney is re-lined. Is this a pain in the as$ to do by yourself? and not worth trying ?

Re: What no chimney liner ?

The first job that the inspector did not care about a thermal expansion tank he says no dual check no prv well why do you need a thermal expansion tank. First thing that made sense all day! 25 feet of chimney and you get the beautiful view of Highlandtown skyline too!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
      The first job that the inspector did not care about a thermal expansion tank he says no dual check no prv well why do you need a thermal expansion tank. First thing that made sense all day! 25 feet of chimney and you get the beautiful view of Highlandtown skyline too!
      nice pics never lined chimny wish I could help buy the way thanks for help on well part that helped a lot
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Measure how long you need & what size pipe. two man job. The pipe is like the those aluminum stretchable clothes dryer pipes so you need help to stretch. Tie a rope to the guide cone and attach the cone to pipe one man in the basement & one man on roof.

http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/...17&pageStyle=P
        Last edited by copperhead; 06-05-2010, 02:38 PM. Reason: forgot

Comment

Have done these for wood stoves. They are a stainless steel flex hose .Quite expensive !
          Look on line.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Stainless steel is going to be more expensive but he should be able to do it with an aluminum flex liner, a lot cheaper.

Comment

If you get the choice...be the man on the roof. The guy in the basement catches the worst of that job. YES...can be a huge pain in the butt to line a chimney or it can go smooth. Well? Do you feel lucky? Good luck.

The flex venting for that comes in 25' sections. If you are even close to 25' get extra. It is very difficult to fully stretch a liner.

Comment

I have found them in my R.E. Michel's catalog made by Z-flex . And after looking at the NFPA-54 a 5" liner is what is needed and will give a 40cu' buffer.
                Now I also found that the vent connector is under sized it needs to be 4" instead of 3" for the water heater and the furnace needs to be 5" instead of 4".
                Now answer this for me guys the reason the water heater will need to be increased is because I increased the water heater from 35'of gas to a model that burns 40' of gas but the furnace burns 100' and the rise is roughly 2 feet and the chimney is 30' now why would some one keep the vent connector 4" and not increase it to 5". Does this need to be increased after it leaves the appliance? 2.) What about using B-vent should it be used over smoke pipe and does it make a better venting system keeping the products of combustion hot and help prevent the formation of condensate . Their are also recommendations in the new NFPA-54 to extend your vent connector up 12" before you change direction.
                3.) Does anybody really look at this stuff ? I am thinking about charging a "Gas appliance site fee" for water heaters , Boilers & gas furnaces to inspect the chimney,vent connector , combustion air " is the space around the appliances large enough to supply proper combustion air", Gas line size. What do you guys think?
                Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Well I installed the liner what a pain in the as$ too tired to take pictures but I had to bust off the top of the chimney to make it flat since it was a bishop cap. I increased the vent connector for the heater to 4" that what the code wants. get this fired up the water heater pulls a good draft then fire up the furnace and I get spillage for about 45 seconds then it pulls just like it did. Turn of the furnace turn it back on still works fine try it again and can not reproduce the spillage . Do any of you guys think this may be due to the fact that the A.C. part of the unit was running all day and I flipped it over to heat cooled down the liner so much that it spilled till every thing wormed up since it was the only for 45 seconds and the initial start up with a cool a coil? Chimney is 30 foot 40,000 btu w.h. 100,000 btu furnace 5" liner 4" vent connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                    Well I installed the liner what a pain in the as$ too tired to take pictures but I had to bust off the top of the chimney to make it flat since it was a bishop cap. I increased the vent connector for the heater to 4" that what the code wants. get this fired up the water heater pulls a good draft then fire up the furnace and I get spillage for about 45 seconds then it pulls just like it did. Turn of the furnace turn it back on still works fine try it again and can not reproduce the spillage . Do any of you guys think this may be due to the fact that the A.C. part of the unit was running all day and I flipped it over to heat cooled down the liner so much that it spilled till every thing wormed up since it was the only for 45 seconds and the initial start up with a cool a coil? Chimney is 30 foot 40,000 btu w.h. 100,000 btu furnace 5" liner 4" vent connectors.
                    You can certainly cold stack for the first minute of operation. This is even greater at first with thin venting. The up side is the venting heats fast and draws nicely. I would strongly suggest a CO detector in the same room,but a bit from the unit.

As for if the A/C is a part of it??? Turn on the heat. Set the unit to heat and watch the flames through the sight glass. Very breifly cycle out the fan and see if there is change. Very fast test of a combustion chamber.

This is by no means the end if you really have any suspicion. Use the right equipment!!! Do CO testing, be sure to have this done by a pro. Use a combustion analyzer as well. If you don't have this equipment??? Often times the fire department will do a CO test free of charge.
                    Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X