X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eternal Hybrid Hot Water heater???

I still have no trouble getting people what they want for less money with the boring standard tank.

J.C.

Comment

That's some dancing

Yes the mixing valve is there but still does nothing for flow. Regarding other Tankless with recirc, both rinnai condensing nor Navien reduce warranty with recirc, so he's misinformed there too.

CSA testing agency that certified the tank size says it's 1.7 gallons so
      who is correct now?

Yes cold water draw could reach 98% but the other poster mentioned the storage and limited draws will not be 98% efficient

I have to go ask my dad now for more advise before I can respond anymore-lol
      Last edited by Lee H; 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
        That's some dancing

Yes the mixing valve is there but still does nothing for flow. Regarding other Tankless with recirc, both rinnai condensing nor Navien reduce warranty with recirc, so he's misinformed there too.

who is correct now?

Yes cold water draw could reach 98% but the other poster mentioned the storage and limited draws will not be 98% efficient

I have to go ask my dad now for more advise before I can respond anymore-lol
        CSA? Canada??? I thought the Northern French were on the metric system

Last edited by OkieBill; 11-15-2010, 11:58 PM.

Comment

CSA international so our friends in the north have thier own certification stamp too aayy?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHS9MW5IdLA

So........... does it work or not? ??

Awe **** my dog is puking again.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I think they work great. Haven't had a problem with any I put in yet(knock on wood).
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                That's some dancing

who is correct now?

Response from my Eternal rep:

Below are some quick answers from the head guy at Eternal.
                One of the things the guy in Mn seems to forget, 77 degrees delta T will give
                and outlet temp about 122. (50F ground water)
                122F is a REALLY hot shower. The customer will be adding a fairly large portion of cold in the shower valve thus extending the 5.06 GPM so that 3 showers of 2.5GPM could be run simultaneously.
                My personal preference is 105F shower temp or less.

One of the last posts in the blog is " Does it work?"
                in a word, YES!
                We have repeated stories of contractors that think the Eternal just plain ROCKS.
                Low pressure drop, recircable through the unit, no cold water sandwich, hot water now.
                I you like, I can send you a new piece of literature that has 8 pages of testimonies.

BTW, I have been told (anecdotally,)that Grohe pressure balance shower valves have a disclaimer in their fine print that goes something like this.
                Do Not use Grohe pressure balance shower valves with "low mass" water heaters.
                Translation, regular 'tankless' heaters are "low mass". They have such high pressure drop at flow, that the Grohe valve cannot do the tempering function and basically shuts down. This is NOT too good for showering. A tank water heater or an Eternal will fit the bill with a Grohe shower valve.

Finally, I can show a copy if the CSA report and it lists the Eternal at 2 gallons.

Scott

Comment

It is interesting how much I just don't care. Tankless schmankless. Silly wastes of money and effort. Only point I can see is if you have a tiny condo and you can save some usable space.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                    I think they work great. Haven't had a problem with any I put in yet(knock on wood).
                    Yes they work however

Most of us are smart enough not to by a new model anything first year made.

Comment

One of the things the guy in Mn seems to forget, 77 degrees delta T will give
                      and outlet temp about 122. (50F ground water)
                      122F is a REALLY hot shower. The customer will be adding a fairly large portion of cold in the shower valve thus extending the 5.06 GPM so that 3 showers of 2.5GPM could be run simultaneously.
                      My personal preference is 105F shower temp or less.

Your a bit off on that the mixed water temp of 122 and 50 down to 105 is 6 GPM, so with your heads that's what 2.5 showers in operation. Bit say that's bad, just reality.

Actually men prefer temps in the 104 to 107, females in the 105 to 112.

Comment

I have a customer who wants one of these so bad he can't see straight.

I've been reading on these babies for three days now. I like what I have read so far but I have my concerns.

I called my wholesaler and they pretty much read me the brochure. They just kept telling me they were new.

The first is support. I have not been able to get any classes on these things and I would really like to get my hands one before I am at the customers house.

Getting a call on a Friday night at 5:00 saying they don't have hot water for the 3,000+ install you just done, would suck big time.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          I have a customer who wants one of these so bad he can't see straight.

I've been reading on these babies for three days now. I like what I have read so far but I have my concerns.

I called my wholesaler and they pretty much read me the brochure. They just kept telling me they were new.

The first is support. I have not been able to get any classes on these things and I would really like to get my hands one before I am at the customers house.

Getting a call on a Friday night at 5:00 saying they don't have hot water for the 3,000+ install you just done, would suck big time.
                          Put it in.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            Contact the Eternal rep in your area and give them your concerns.
                            1) Ask them about recent installs in you area (being specific about who the installers were).
                            2) Ask them who does their warranty service.
                            Then, contact the companies named and feel them out.

Comment

I put one in a resturaunt and it works awesome. They do have 24hr tech support that spoke english when I called. I wouldn't put a tankless in my house, but I would put this in. They said they haven't ever run shy of 140 degree water and love it.

Comment

Re: Eternal Hybrid backfiring.

Originally posted by Mike234 View Post
                                My Eternal Hybrid works really well and saves me about 50.00 a month vs my 50 gal gas water heater. I have two and a half bathrooms, one washing machine and a dishwasher. I do have one problem with the unit that after one year of trouble free use the unit started occasionally backfiring which is extremely loud. The pop or explosions do not affect the hot water supply but are really a problem. I removed and cleaned all four flame rods with no change. I have the unit supplied with a one inch gas line reduced to 3/4 at the machine. This happens randomly weather other appliances are in use or not. Any suggestions?
                                Mike, Im Mike too. I am having the same problem with a gu32 I instaled begining of this year. Worked perfect, wonderful! Until it started exploiding really loud. Did you ever figure out how to resolve? I bet I have 5o hours of labor in trying to get this problem resolved and getting no where! When it first started acting up I shut it down and called tech support to get a tech guy to come out. The nearest on was like 90 miles away and could not make it for a week. I have been plumbing for 18 years, licensed since 1996 and found the gu32 hybrid was easy to instal. It has been nothing but a nightmare trying to fix it for me and my customer. Problem has been going on for 4 months! Tech support keeps sending me new parts to try that dion't fix the problem. A tech guy finaly shows up and tells my customer he is going to make a report and that the warranty will probably be voided because of instalation errors! My customer calls me and I get this joker on the phone. He sais I only ran one vent and the unit requires two! So I told him to draw an X where he thinks this second vent should go. He got it mixexd up for another unit he addmitted later, but told my customer I failed to instal a condensate tube on the vent. My verticle run is less then 5 feet and clearly states it is not necesary. List goes on and on of things this guy was saying is vallid reason for warranty to be void. By the time he left (After I spoke with him and he had some time to "re think") He sais "Sorry, nothing you did wrong is causing this to exploid or void your warranty, but it's all fixed now, it just needed presure adjusment. i hung up the phone as I had my customer calling,,, he said tech guy just drove off,,, the heater exploided before he made it out the driveway... I don't want any more of those guys coming to my house anymore Mike, I want you to fix it." I gave up on tech support and got a hold of the people who sold the water heater,,, confort USA. What a relief to hear they where going to see that I get shipped a replacement. This problem continues to get worse and worse,,, it shakes the house several times a day as it exploids! It has been over a week since I spoke to the guy at confort USA. I got one email saying he was sorry, he hasnt had a chance to get started on it yet, but will soon. In the mean time, I can't quite hear it go off from my house a mile away, but I have lost more sleep then my customer as now my reputation of a "word of mouth plumber" is damaged because I recomended my customer to buy this unit and I put it in for him and allthough I only charged him 6 hours of labor out of my pending aprrox 50+ hours of time that I will never get paid for, I'm still the plumber who's customer has had to put up with an exploiding water heater for 4+ months. His maids refuse to clean the house,,, thats how loud and scary this thing is!
                                After searching hours for someone else who had this problem I finaly found one person,,, (This other guy named mike) I will follow up on the results and outcome of this on going disaster when it gets resolved... until then, I wouldnt be too quick to put one of these units in,,, especially if your name is MIKE! These things come with a 20 year warranty but after 4 months this thing still continues to exploid more and more frequently. My customer is irate as he paid 3 thousand dollars on this thing and ask me everyy day when is it going to be fixed! I spent over 400 dollars just on parts because of this problem ex-having to re pipe and put a used traditional unit in and a week later putting the eternal back in so the tech guy could fix it. I had to buy a 180 manometer tool which I have never needed in all my years experience nor plan on ever using again. I put in spring valves and took out the check valves. I checked the presures 3 times,, each time it was with in spec Then the tech guy said he adjusted it and fixed it and when I explain to eternal tech a new guy wants me to check this again and call him back later. The unit worked flawless for 4 months with the same propane pipe, tanks, regulators, etc,,, all new and double checked. I changed the regulator valve on the unit, the burner, I checked every water flow meter and filter and screen, shut the pump off, turn it on, no matter what I do it keeps getting worse.
                                !!!1

Comment

Working...
                                X